Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They Say it was a 1910 Indian MC. Can Someone ID This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They Say it was a 1910 Indian MC. Can Someone ID This?

I was at an auction yesterday and this "field find" was up for sale. They said it was a 1910 Indian MC but it looks like an Indian bicycle to me except for the hub and chain drive on the left side. I know most motorcycles of this era had pedals as well but this just didn't look like it came as a motorcycle. Then again I am not an Indian expert so I thought I'd ask the question here. It did have control rods on the handlebars.

By the way it sold for $750, and everything, I mean everything that was not rotted away was solidly rusted together.

Can someone ID it with this one crappy pic?

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Attached Files

Indian phased in their "loop frame" motorcycles in 1909 while continuing to market their diamond frame motorcycles through 1909. Only "Loop frame" motorcycles were offered after 1909. The diamond frame cycles had the single cylinder engines mounted in the seat post. So, this "diamond" frame is definitely not a Indian motorcycle frame. While I am not an Indian bicycle affecianodo, this frame may be what is left of an early Indian bicycle, year unknown, or a bicycle of another manufacturer.

Good Luck! Les

Comment

It does have a clutch, and the frame is very similar to an Indian diamond frame. The gas tank looks like an Indian model K tank so I wonder if this was modified to look more modern, and have the convenience of a clutch. It just looks to stout to be a bicycle.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I suspect somebody got a good deal. I do not know what it is but I have paid more for worse. Jerry

Comment

Interesting find, I think it's most likely a Shaw or something similar with a "clip on" type engine. Here are some pics of a Shaw in Sweden with a chain final drive and clutch setup. I am putting my money on Shaw. By the way, I think the field find and the Swedish Shaw are late pre teens, that date of 1905 in marking pen on the advert I believe is incorrect.
          Attached Files
          Mike Carver
          AMCA #3349

Comment

533.jpg
            Originally posted by midman View Post
            I was at an auction yesterday and this "field find" was up for sale. They said it was a 1910 Indian MC but it looks like an Indian bicycle to me except for the hub and chain drive on the left side. I know most motorcycles of this era had pedals as well but this just didn't look like it came as a motorcycle. Then again I am not an Indian expert so I thought I'd ask the question here. It did have control rods on the handlebars.

By the way it sold for $750, and everything, I mean everything that was not rotted away was solidly rusted together.

Can someone ID it with this one crappy pic?

Thanks,
            Chuck
            Looks like an H.P. Snyder bicycle from the 1920s.

Comment

It does look like a Shaw Mike. Here's a picture of a 1919 Indian Bicycle with an add on Smith Motorwheel. These Bicycles were made by the Davis Sewing Machine Company in Dayton, Ohio. Davis Sewing also manufactured the Harley-Davidson line of Bicycles. The Smith Motorwheel was interchangeable with any bicycle. What looks like a gas tank, is just a holder for the battery to run the lamp. The Indian bicycle has a rear center stand if you look closely. The Indian is close, but no cigar. At least ya' got a history lesson. *M.A.D.*
              classic_600_ib.jpgCapture.JPG
              Last edited by JoJo357; 01-30-2017, 01:14 PM. Reason: additional info.

Comment

Chuck
                I'm with Mike Carver and say it's a Shaw motorbicycle of 1920/21.
                Attached is an advert from a 1921 issue of "American Exporter" publication.
                The bike in the ad looks very much like the remains you posted online.
                Attached Files
                Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                A.M.C.A. # 2777
                Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by mcarver View Post
                  Interesting find, I think it's most likely a Shaw or something similar with a "clip on" type engine. Here are some pics of a Shaw in Sweden with a chain final drive and clutch setup. I am putting my money on Shaw. By the way, I think the field find and the Swedish Shaw are late pre teens, that date of 1905 in marking pen on the advert I believe is incorrect.
                  It definitely looks like the Shaw. The tank strap location and style are right on and the front fork and the clutch set up match too.

Thanks, I knew you guys could help figure it out.

Comment

I agree, it's a Shaw. Good eye, Mike.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Since the Davis Sewing Machine Co. made bicycles for Indian and Harley-Davidson, i wonder if they also manufactured the Shaw Frames?

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                        Since the Davis Sewing Machine Co. made bicycles for Indian and Harley-Davidson, i wonder if they also manufactured the Shaw Frames?
                        I'd have to ask a friend on that JoJo. They may have both been made by the DSMC, but it sticks in my mind that Westfield may have been involved as well.... or maybe I'm just confused.
                        Mike Carver
                        AMCA #3349

Comment

Thanks Mike, i'd be interested in knowing the who's and what's. As far as the mind works, it serves me less than more lately--haha.

Comment

I have always heard that Westfield also made Indian bicycles, makes sense as they were close to Springfield.

Comment

George Hendee made his first fortune making Silver King bicycles. I would assume that's who have made Indian bicycles, but stranger things have happened.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X