When did production for 1929 begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did production for 1929 begin

Official word is that for the next Cannonball the "Motorcycle has to be titled and licensed 1928 or earlier." My question is, when did engines start being stamped with a '29' prefix instead of '28'? If production for the next year started the preceding fall than a low number 29 could qualify. Does anyone know the answer to this, or can they point me to a book where they know I can find the answer? Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't think you'll find a definitive answer but here's a start. At the time Harley announced new models in the August Enthusiast of the preceding year, so we can estimate say five months production of 1929 models in the later part of calendar year 1928. The Harley black book records 13,332 Big Twins made in 1929, mostly JDs, but all presumably with 1929 engine numbers. Five twelfths of this number is 5,555 and, as Harley started engine numbers at 1000, my first guess would be that engine numbers under 29JD6500 would have been built in calendar year 1928. They would still have to be registered/titled though; the Harley black book numbers are probably based on calendar years rather than model years; and the calculation assumes level monthly production. We're pretty sure no Harley records still exist so this will be an unnecessary source of debate with the Cannonball organisers, and possibly a source of good engine numbers being altered just to get in the Run. If the idea is to keep out the VLs, just say so. A low serial number 30VL was not allowed in two Cannonball Runs ago, even though it was built and titled in 1929 and met the then pre-1930 cutoff. Maybe the Cannonball organisers should reconsider the effect of this arbitrary cutoff date for the next run?

Comment

My question is, when did engines start being stamped with a '29' prefix instead of '28'? If production for the next year started the preceding fall than a low number 29 could qualify
      1929 production started in September 1928, however these are 29 models and cannonball will reject if they want 28 and older.

Comment

They try this every cannonball

Comment

I think the key words are "Titled and licensed". Most, if not all states would use the motor number as the title on the registration or license paperwork.
          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Thanks for the replies thus far. Using Steve's 5/12 estimate the 1929 J model I've been offered would have left the factory in 1928. However, if what Jason Sims told me will be strictly interpreted, i.e. "Motorcycle has to be titled and licensed 1928 or earlier," I have to hope the owner has appropriate paperwork demonstrating this (if, indeed, it is the case). I'm waiting to hear back from him about that. Of course, I can't help wonder if all 1928 models actually were sold that year, rather than any sitting unsold at dealers' shops.

Comment

Give up or get an older bike,they won't let you in with a '29

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                They try this every cannonball
                I'm not trying to get away with anything. I'm trying to determine if a particular bike qualifies or not.

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                Give up or get an older bike,they won't let you in with a '29
                I suspect that even if it had been made and registered in '28, the chances that paperwork exists 90 years later to demonstrate that are pretty slim. Still, there's no reason to give up until i hear back from the seller and, if there actually is paperwork, until I get a ruling from Jason.

Comment

I have contacted Jason for clarification and am waiting for his answer.

The wording on Jason's invite for the next run is . " This event will feature motorcycles built before 1929." It says nothing about Titled/Registered before or model year.

Based on this wording I'm hoping to use my 29 model year JD serial number 29JD1386 which I have used on 2 previous runs.

Pete Reeves #860

Comment

Working...
                  X