carb finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jgbrown59!

The original, as best I can guess from what original literature I am privy to, was lacquer. I suspect it was supposed to be "gloss", but lacquer tends to "blush", and the rough castings could never be buffed. Engine heat probably didn't help either.
    Potmetal Scheblers kept their gloss much better, but the die-castings were much smoother.

I now air-brush a butyrate enamel (forgot whom to thank), which blushes badly without a retarder (especially this time of year!)
    But it has withstood P4gas, so far...

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-25-2017, 05:24 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

attached pictures of my "Langsenkamp-Linkert" M6 in 'flash' nickel and the "L&L Manufacturing" M6 painted black.

I believe that the list Cotten posted earlier refers to the "L&L Manufacturing" Becks carburetors made for Indians and the "Langsenkamp-Linkert" M6 was made earlier for earlier Chiefs (also before 1939).

I do not know if the brass float chanbers are correct on these, but I like to use them (will use one "Langsenkamp-Linkert" M6 on my 1936 Chief)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by gsottl; 01-28-2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Gsottl!

The most interesting aspect of the nickeled carb is that it appears not to have ever been ground away and re-stamped, as later productions show.

A primary concern about the common listing of M6 for " '39-'42 Chiefs " is that '41-'42 models had the four-screw intakes.

Tragically, AMCA judging standards still make them all a fault for any model.

....Cotten
        PS: Attached is yet another example of a two-screw nickeled M6, with no "INDIAN" stamping. Note the casting sprue on the top, suggesting that it is quite early for an L&L, and perhaps earlier than the recognizeable BECK productions. (Sorry I have forgotten the source of the pic...)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-28-2017, 04:33 PM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

My original condition M6BA on my 1940 Indian Chief is also a black finish. Amougst all of the other patina as well.

M6BA Carb 2.JPG

M6BA Carb 5.JPG

Comment

Someozybloke!

Note how yours has the narrow sans-serif "M", common to most regular Indian models (except most '41 productions, other than M741), rather than the wide serifed M found on most Beck models.
            Most H-D productions had a wide sans-serif "M". One possible exception is the "replacement" model M55, with serifs.

....Cotten
            Attached Files
            AMCA #776

Comment

And I forgot, Folks,

M841L & R had the narrow "M" as well.

I have also logged a pic of one wide M741-1 "M", with other font faults.
              The real question then becomes: Why would anyone ever fake an M741!

Pity any judge.

....Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-31-2017, 03:21 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Have you guys ever seen a Linkert either 352 or 344 with silver body paint?

Comment

Hi,
                  I have seen several M344s and M352s in silver body paint, but in all instances, it appears as if the silver was a paint applied in recent times. Factory photos are typically inconclusive when it comes to carburetor color. The most common color that appears to be original, is black. Many carburetors are currently paint-less, and they appear to be brown; the color of oxidized brass.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow53Chief View Post
                    Hi,
                    I have seen several M344s and M352s in silver body paint, but in all instances, it appears as if the silver was a paint applied in recent times. Factory photos are typically inconclusive when it comes to carburetor color. The most common color that appears to be original, is black. Many carburetors are currently paint-less, and they appear to be brown; the color of oxidized brass.
                    thanks! I meant to add the 350 model, but I'll assume the answer is the same..........black for that model as well?

Comment

Hi,
                      Yes, I would say that the M350 colors seen are very similar to the M344 and M352. The M350 and M352 carburetors are relatively rare compared with the M344. The M350 and M352 were made in the hundreds, whereas the M344 was made in the thousands - tens of thousands.

Comment

Working...
                      X