Morris Mag Advance/Retard Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morris Mag Advance/Retard Cap

I just finished a 59 XLCH project. Runs like a champ when I can get it started.
    Has anyone used that mag cap from Morris Magnetos with the lever that can retard
    the spark on a fixed mag.

Yes. It works. Can be had with whatever color cap they stock.

Comment

I had a hard time with that setup.

Comment

Hi,
        I'm using that setup on an Indian Power Plus. The advance / retard feature works well. It's been a while since I looked at the internals but I think the mag itself needs to be modified for use with this setup. I don't think you can simply change out the cap and have everything work correctly. Again, I not sure about this but if you contact Morris I'm sure they can clarify what needs to be done. They've been very helpful with me in the past.

Steve Slaminko

Comment

Originally posted by slamiste View Post
          Hi,
          I'm using that setup on an Indian Power Plus. The advance / retard feature works well. It's been a while since I looked at the internals but I think the mag itself needs to be modified for use with this setup. I don't think you can simply change out the cap and have everything work correctly. Again, I not sure about this but if you contact Morris I'm sure they can clarify what needs to be done. They've been very helpful with me in the past.

Steve Slaminko
          Hey Steve, by any chance can I see a picture of how you connected the Powerplus linkage to the Morris spark advance?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin
          https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Happy New Year Kevin,

I haven't connected the advance / retard lever on the Morris mag to the handlebar linkage yet. I was in a hurry to get the bike running for a local event and since the hookup was going to require some engineering and manufacturing I started the bike with the spark retarded the ran full advance while on the highway to the event. That worked out well enough that I continued that procedure for the rest of the season. I hope to get it hooked up properly this winter if I can get to it. I'll send you pictures when and if it's done.

I don't remember if I've congratulated you on your Cannonball run. In any case I enjoyed talking to you in Indiana and have enjoyed watching the videos you've posted. Well Done!!! I can't imagine riding a PowerPlus 100 miles let alone over 3000.

Comment

Originally posted by slamiste View Post
              Happy New Year Kevin,

I haven't connected the advance / retard lever on the Morris mag to the handlebar linkage yet. I was in a hurry to get the bike running for a local event and since the hookup was going to require some engineering and manufacturing I started the bike with the spark retarded the ran full advance while on the highway to the event. That worked out well enough that I continued that procedure for the rest of the season. I hope to get it hooked up properly this winter if I can get to it. I'll send you pictures when and if it's done.

I don't remember if I've congratulated you on your Cannonball run. In any case I enjoyed talking to you in Indiana and have enjoyed watching the videos you've posted. Well Done!!! I can't imagine riding a PowerPlus 100 miles let alone over 3000.
              Thanks Steve. I figured I'd do it the same way if I ever had to use the Morris mag that I had along as a spare.

Kevin

Kevin
              https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Working...
              X