Model j valve guide question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model j valve guide question

In the process of reworking a set of 1915 j jugs. The exhaust valve guide are already around .330 before honing true. Is anyone replacing guides with sleeves or modified guides . Any help here would be greatly appreciated

I have the same problem with my 20F.

I posted some questions on here and elsewhere and, to cut a long story short, I had a telephone conversation with Stuart Ritchie of JD Jugs.

Before I go on I have to say that Stuart is a top bloke and was very helpful. He was happy to spend some time explaining to me what he recommends for this situation. I cannot fault him.

Stuart has recommended new valves from Eastern Parts and fitting replaceable guides made from TufMet. This is an alloy that tolerates high temperatures and low lubrication very well. It is also OK to make the guides with relatively thin walls in this material.

I am buying guides and valves from Stuart and I will machine my cylinders to fit them once they arrive.

John

Comment

Thanks John I will check out Stuart at jd jugs . I was hoping to find a standard guide that could be modified to work

Comment

Originally posted by 46CHF View Post
        Thanks John I will check out Stuart at jd jugs . I was hoping to find a standard guide that could be modified to work
        There are other solutions, I happen to be going with the one recommender by Stuart but there is another option here:

http://webspace.webring.com/people/qp/pravg/valves.htm

John

Comment

Working...
        X