Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My grandfather's 1916 Indian Power Plus coming back to life

Hello,
    I am beginning to restore my Grandfather's 1916 Indian PowerPlus that he drove from Charlotte VT to Woodriver NE and back in the fall of 1919.
    He used the bike for many years on our farm in Vermont and has made a few modifications. The scaryest is the brakes.
    The bike originally had lights but the current mag does not have a generator.
    The mag is currently out for repair.
    IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg
    I am starting to restore the control linkages and am looking various parts.

This is my first post, so thats all for now.
    Regards,
    Stephen

Luggage Rack & Boxes

Here is the luggage rack, passenger seat, and boxes my Grandfather used.
    IMG_0915.jpg IMG_0919.jpg IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg IMG_0920.jpg

Comment

G day Stephen thats a great looking old bike congrates , are you going leave it original paint ??? you dont see them like that very offen , good like enjoying your grand fathers bikes,, Rob

Comment

Beautiful motorcycle Stephen. By restore, I assume you mean a mechanical resto. and not cosmetic. It's just to nice to tamper with the way it looks now. Keep us posted on your progress.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Fantastic machine, good luck !

Comment

Echoing the sentiments of previous responders, please, please don't change the beautiful patina on your '16, unrestored examples are very difficult to find. Even if it's not original paint, it has earned its look and that appearance is, in itself, a historical document. By the way, very nice motorcycle.
            Mike Carver
            AMCA #3349

Comment

Wow! I love it! Dale

Comment

Wow Stephan. What a great bike and a great story. I'm guessing your grandfather rode the Lincoln Highway, which opened in 1913. I say that because Woodriver is on highway 30 which in those days was part of the Lincoln Highway. I live in Nebraska, just about 140 miles east of Woodriver, near the town of Fort Calhoun, which is very near to Highway 30, the old Lincoln Highway. So, if you decide to recreate your grandfathers ride, we have a spare bedroom you can use when you come through. In fact, I would consider bringing my 1916 Indian to Vermont and riding with you.

I spent about 3 years putting my Indian together and I rode it in the 1916 Motorcycle Cannonball. I learned a lot in the process. If there's anything I can do to hell with your project, let me know.

Kevin

Kevin
                https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

pretty neat history and indian, looking forward to more. gary
                  gww57.com

Comment

Hello Kevin,
                    Thanks for the invite I may take you up on it in a couple of years.
                    I have been watching your progress with your bike and that is what got me convinced I could restore my bike.
                    My grandfather did indeed take the Lincoln Highway.
                    Regards,
                    Stephen

Comment

Eric,
                      Yes it will be only mechanical.
                      Do you know what I should use to seal the current patena?
                      Stephen

Comment

awesome machine! can you tell us how it was stored all these years and when was the last time anyone rode it or even fired it up? pictures of gramps on it would be cool, too.

Comment

Hello All,
                          Thank you for all the encouragement.

The bike has been stored in a garage/work shop on the farm from at least the 50s. I am not sure the last time anyone rode it.
                          About 30 years back I got new tires and tryed to start it. I determined the magneto was weak and started to work on getting it rebuilt.
                          Then life got in the way.
                          I now have some time to get it working again.
                          Here is a picture of my Grandfather on the bike when he arrived in NE.
                          bike.jpg
                          Here is his itinerary. It is from a photo album that contains the part of his trip to the west coast he did on the bus.
                          itinery001.jpgitinery002.jpg
                          I am missing the album of the first half that may still be in my parent's home. The house contains over 50 years of stuff and needs to be completely sorted to make sure the album is not hiding in some box.

I should have the magneto finished by next month. What should I work on next?
                          Regards,
                          Stephen

Comment

cool pics. restore it on the inside, leave it on the outside. what i would do, anyway... good luck.

Comment

Very cool bike & story.He did not take the Lincoln highway thru Iowa,the route was mostly US 6...He took "The Great White Way",marked with white poles as markers.Done by the White Pole Auto club.West Liberty to Washington is my neighborhood[Riverside]There is a gravel road south of here still named "Old White Way"that leads into Washington.This photo is the corner of The Great White Way & the Red Ball Route.Red Balls marked the north south road.These were dirt roads in 1919,most highways were not paved in Iowa until 1930

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_6_in_Iowa
                              Last edited by duffeycycles; 12-10-2016, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X