Harley sidecar brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley sidecar brake question

The HD brake set up is pretty clear using the star hub from 1958 - 1966 SC BRAKE TILL 66.jpg

Unfortunately the parts catalogs that I have are unclear (to me at least) regarding the period between 1967 and 1976. The manuals seem to suggest that some version of the "mid-star" hub (43540-67, 43545-67A, or the 43551-76) used with the star hub type axle and drum. Obviously, the earlier type had all the bearings in the star hub while the later mid-star had one bearing in the hub and the other two in the drum so I don't see how that would work. Axles.jpg IMG_0667.jpg

So my question is what's correct for 1969?
    I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".

So my latest theory is that the factory used the 87433-76 axle with the earlier (edge out) side plate with the 43545-67A hub. The only thing I have to do is trim down a 41400-67 drum. I'm taking the bearing area down to 1.5" and opening up the ID to 1.75" along with trimming down the outer drum area common to the side plate. Anyone else done this?
    I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".

Comment

Ok, so I can't prove it (yet) but I'm standing by the above theory. Harley took the mid-star rear drum 41400-67 casting and that was what was used until early 1976 on the sidecar. The 43545-67A hub had to attach to something and it sure as heck wasn't the 87657-58A drum as the manual indicates. Here's my sidecar drum from a rear drum casting:IMG_0730.jpgIMG_0729.jpg

Comment

I looked at a 69LE recently that had a star hub.
        VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
          I looked at a 69LE recently that had a star hub.
          VPH-D
          Did the current owner mention if he was the original owner?

Comment

I ran across some pictures of what is presumably a 1967+ mid-star sidecar drum and backing plate:67+ casting mark & stamps.jpg67+ inside.jpg67+ bkng plate inbd.jpg

Comment

Finally found one of the drums made out of unobtainium:IMG_0736.jpg and have validated my theory. Anyway, here it is:IMG_0800.jpgIMG_0802.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpa View Post
                So my latest theory is that the factory used the 87433-76 axle with the earlier (edge out) side plate with the 43545-67A hub. The only thing I have to do is trim down a 41400-67 drum. I'm taking the bearing area down to 1.5" and opening up the ID to 1.75" along with trimming down the outer drum area common to the side plate. Anyone else done this?
                What is the part number for the edge out backing plate you are referring to?

Comment

Sidecar axle and wheel

I sent you a pm regarding this post. I can tell you what is suppose to be correct, but I also have questions about your adaptation and machining. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                    What is the part number for the edge out backing plate you are referring to?
                    41650-58 at least until 1966 whereas the parts catalogue says early 1976. In order to use the mid-star hub however, the axle was changed and what was the 41650-58 now had a larger ID for the new axle so the backing plate part number must have changed as well I believe. The next part number from the manual is 87672-76 used between late 1976 to 1976. If the manual is correct the factory had one type of hub on the bike and another for the sidecar...if THAT's correct then hypothetically you would have to carry two spare tires (or pick one and take your chances).

Comment

The star hub setup was used until e76 with the 58-62 backing plate, drum, brakes and 36-E76 axle. The setup does suck with having to run 2 spares. I also want to run the 76-79 axle, brake drum, backing plate and the mid star 43551-76 sidecar hub. The 43551-76 mid star sidecar hub is different than the regular mid star hub, you have the correct mid star sidecar hub in the picture in your first post. You will have to use the mid star sidecar hub 43551-76 as a spare and run a washer or spacer along with it when used as a spare on the bike. You can measure the difference between the bike mid hub (43540-67 or 43540-76A) and the sidecar hub 43551-76 on the brake drum side.

The only difference between the bike hubs 43540-67 and 43540-67A is that the 43540-67A has 2 holes drilled in the bearing side to hold a wheel bearing lock nut retainer 43592-70 that is used on 70-72 bikes.

Ryan
                      Last edited by ryan; 03-15-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Sidecar axle and wheel

My bike is a 69 as well and looks just like yours. Mine is a hand shift, foot clutch with a 3R tranny. I have a fiberglass car and really want to use a metal one. I joined the club today to reply to your post. I also have a knucklehead Frankenstein bike with panheads on it. I would like to find a set of aftermarket knuckleheads for it.

Ryan
                        Last edited by ryan; 03-14-2017, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X