I.D. that bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I.D. that bike

Would it be too elementary of me to ask for a "quiz" thread?
    I'm still learning what's what on Indians, and often grab a book (Iron Redskin, Hatfield's) to find what year they changed to, for instance, the trailing link front fork. I'm interested also in learning the year progression of knucklehead changes. Some folks have mentored me at the meets, but this study is year-round, and I know I could learn a lot from the rest of you.
    On Facebook (yeah, I admit it) I like to try naming the year, and why, of some bikes. Nobody else wants to play.
    If someone posted a picture of a 25 Scout I could get it within 3 years, I think. Early 30's chiefs are still a mystery to me. I'm guessing most other makes by whether they have a front brake, or transmission, or size of tires.
    Why have I been in this club for 26 years if I'm still clue-less?
    How about a quiz thread? or ID that bike?
    thx for your consideration.

I think that is a good idea, filibuster and could be fun too. I think it would be interesting for someone to post a few good pictures of a bike, and then let people guess the year, and what distinctive, (or obscure) features are particular to that year. I think the details of a certain year are what make bikes interesting. Good examples are bikes like '51, and '52 H-D FLs, or '32, and '33 Indian Fours. There are a number of bikes that are almost identical over a few years, so it would be interesting for knowledgeable people to reveal the differences.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

this is a good idea.
      I am very familiar with most year HD's, but ignorant on Indians & pretty much all other makes.

Comment

I would probably always LOOK at a "Quiz" page.... but since I don't KNOW too much, I'd rarely answer, but on the other hand, I could possibly LEARN more!
        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
          I would probably always LOOK at a "Quiz" page.... but since I don't KNOW too much, I'd rarely answer, but on the other hand, I could possibly LEARN more!
          been around this club 27 years, and I don't know a dam thing!

Comment

I have an interesting pair of pictures. Both motorcycles are Big Chiefs from the 1920s. The Big Chief didn't change a lot during it's run, but there were many small changes. Curious to see what others can spot on these 2 years.

Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Well... for starters, they are two different cops! I also think the one should put his side stand UP! Eh, I told you I didn't know much! HAHA!! Very cool pictures though!
              Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                Well... for starters, they are two different cops!...
                Yer right Jim!

His Dudley Do-right chin dimple is missing in the second pic.

Beyond that, the first one has an HX carb, and the other has a Type A DLX.

That's all I know..

...Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-09-2017, 03:31 PM.
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Front ends are pretty different, no brake on the older one and the links go through the fender instead of in the indents on the later one. And is that a painted primary on the older one? (....see, I went for the easy ones first!)
                  Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Harry, you spotted one of the more obscure features of the first 2 years of Big Chief. The links go through the '22-'23 fenders, and outside after that.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Eric,

Are you baiting me?

Just to clarify, 22 &23 Chief fork had the Powerplus style loop spring and links through the fender, so there was a huge T shaped hole in the top of the fender.

The first picture is a 24 Chief, could be a 61", cylinders look short. The straight leaf spring with links running through the cat eye holes in the fender was 24,25 &26 only. However, '24 was the last year for 28 x 3 tires as shown on this bike, balloon tires came out in '25. It is equipped with a Splitdorf S-2 magneto and DU-5 generator, all standard from '22- early '28. Still using the external seat spring canisters which were an assist to the seat post, last used in '26. Note the small brake assembly, internal only. Also the handlebars, never seen a set like this with an integrated cross bar, curved no less! and turned down low, it would be tough to ride, but then I'm probably 2 feet taller than this guy!

The second picture is either a '28 or '29 Chief. The parts book barely even lists any differences, only a couple small parts. It would be a 74 as the 61 was discontinued in '27 when removable heads came along. First year for the front brake was mid (?) '28. Last year for the tank inside the frame loops was '29. The '30 Chief would have cast aluminum tanks, around the frame and 19" drop center tires. Also it is equipped with a Splitdorf NS-2 magneto and DU-7 generator, both introduced around March of '28. Note the exposed coil springs for the seat, so no seat post. Note the much larger external brake, came out in '26.

Both models appear to be domestic models because of the left side kick starter (for right hand sidecars) and single rear brake. Indian continued this trend through '31. Export models were also required to have 2 brakes so Indian used a second hand controlled brake on the opposite face of the same drum. Also export models to those countries driving on the left side of the road fitted the kicker on the right as they used left handed sidecars.

Do I win a prize????

Gene

Comment

I'm so ashamed, that I considered surrendering my Big Chief membership card, Gene. What the heck was I thinking; the early Big Chief had the scroll spring. This was my 1924 Big Chief, which Gene Harper was very helpful with, and even owned at some point.

Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Eric and Gene!

What years did they move the floatbowl indexing of the valve from front to the rear, and back to the front?

Thanks in advance as always,

....Cotten
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-10-2017, 10:11 AM.
                          AMCA #776
                          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Love it. Just listing what can be seen: don’t forget the Dash/Ammeter/Switch moved off the top of the frame and connected to the stalks of the headlight with a dash. Headlight is also different (not counting the police lights). Location of the horn is moved down. It is hard to see but the grips are different. More items on the other side of the bikes that you can’t see.
                            Chris

Comment

Cotten, You got me! I can't answer that for you. I'd have to dig up the sales brochures and research that, if indeed that's what happened. I suppose a twist of the fuel line would allow it to assembled the other way.

Chris, yes lots of other details. The top frame tube mounted ammeter and switch box I believe went through 26(?) then the handlebar mounted dash assembly came after that. Headlight was the little bullet stye for 28, so maybe that second picture is a 29 then?

Eric, Yep too bad you let that bike go, but we will let you keep your early chief membership card! In my opinion, the 20's chief is hands down the best built american bike of the era, especially for hauling a sidecar!

gene

Comment

Working...
                              X