Pretending to know what I am doing - 1947 FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a neat new horn.

Took it apart, greased up the internals, cut a new gasket, tuned the diaphragm, and voila!

Comment

• Finally got those little air cleaner bolt locks, so I was able to put that on. I think it's pretty much done now.

I kicked and kicked until I got oil returning, so that's one less thing I don't need to check on startup.

We still have crystals of salt on the roads... I cannot bring myself to torture a bike like that.

Comment

• nice. no more pretending huh?

Comment

• Still no idea.

But I'm learning.

Comment

• So I got a set of bags that I thought was a good deal. They're not OEM or anything, but they are crusty and old and looked like they'd be at home on my bike. I've not decided what bike I'll be riding to Oley this year (choppers are the theme, I think, so this isn't really the "correct" bike), but if I go, I will want to bring my tent and a fartsack and some beer... so the bags seemed like a necessity.

I had to modify the snot out of the mount plates. (I think those are aftermarket. They weren't even a matching pair, so whatever. Who gives a rat's ass?) The problem was my fender... it had three (not four) holes per side; looked like some homemade deal, and I didn't want to put more holes in it. So after much modifying of the plates (and a hole or two in the bags), I got one of them mounted. To make matters worse, the fender holes are different from side to side... so basically this set of bag mount plates is now married to the bike!

I spiffed up one bag last night... the leather was drier than a nun's cooch, so I cleaned it as best I could, let it air dry some, then hit it with some leather conditioner. That bag was ready to go, and here's what I came up with:

I spent the rest of my evening scrubbing and conditioning Bag Number Two, so hopefully tomorrow I have a complete set on the bike. Stay tuned...

Comment

• Got the second bag mounted up.

My foot's all banged up right now, so I haven't done much with the bike. My buddy Hutch came over yesterday and was encouraging me to fire it up, but I didn't want to because of my foot. We had a few too many beers, and then I caved in.

Click here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9U3zY9ORovAXIncJ3 (Go full size for sound.)

I can't embed this on this board for whatever reason. Sorry!
              Last edited by govmule84; 03-19-2018, 04:23 AM.

Comment

• Got me some fancy gumdrops.

Comment

• ...and I finally got YT to upload this stupid video.

Last edited by govmule84; 03-27-2018, 05:35 AM.

Comment

• very nice govmule84. you should be proud. is it ready to ride?

Comment

• I'm pleased rather than proud.

It's ready to go. I just need the salt to go away and the sunshine to swing by.

Comment

• I'm writing up the history of this bike for a little article. I have documentation on the motor; it was sold on a bill of sale by Mr. Dale Walksler when his H-D dealership was in operation in Illinois. It was sold to a fellow named Paul Karen, who the oldtimer told me went by "Panhead Paul."

Lo and behold, I found this thread: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...t-Rochester-NY

Does anyone remember this man? I'd like to know more about him and maybe get in touch with any of his relatives who might be interested in seeing one of his bikes back on the road. I figured someone here who's closer to the area and a bit older than I am might know something about him.
                        Last edited by govmule84; 04-08-2018, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• Twelve-page spread in Greasy Kulture. Guess we can call this one wrapped up.

20180611_134505.jpg

Comment

• A great process to be able to observe!!!!!
                            Jack

Comment

• Thank you much!

Comment

• Howzit Liam,
                                Your story is so much the same as mine.
                                Got a 47 FL (basket case) given to me by a friend who passed to young. I will be following your story with great interest!
                                Wish I knew how to post a photo off the phone I am type this on.
                                Bobby0

Comment

Working...
                                X