Just an observation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just an observation.

Why is it that you have a club filled with such amazing bikes, and many remain hidden in members locations? I realize that some are displayed at local chapter events, and occasionally taken to large national venues, but many people including myself, are hard pressed to have the all the time needed for travel. I'm saying this because rarely do I see a bikes displayed on here that aren't part of a project or having mechanical issues. Is there a reason most do not display their cherished rides on this forum?

Originally posted by jorrow View Post
    Why is it that you have a club filled with such amazing bikes, and many remain hidden in members locations? I realize that some are displayed at local chapter events, and occasionally taken to large national venues, but many people including myself, are hard pressed to have the all the time needed for travel. I'm saying this because rarely do I see a bikes displayed on here that aren't part of a project or having mechanical issues. Is there a reason most do not display their cherished rides on this forum?
    Not everybody wants pics of their bike on the internet,but I think many wouldn't mind if there is a place for it.
    It would be an improvement,I think,if even threads like "old photos"that is now 164 pages could be a permanent part of the website with an old bike photos link on the home page.
    That could even be expanded to organize the photos,or?
    Maybe a member bike page or winner circle page.
    Someday maybe I will be able to go to the AMCA website and see a picture of say a 1947 Indian.
    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
      Not everybody wants pics of their bike on the internet,but I think many wouldn't mind if there is a place for it.
      It would be an improvement,I think,if even threads like "old photos"that is now 164 pages could be a permanent part of the website with an old bike photos link on the home page.
      That could even be expanded to organize the photos,or?
      Maybe a member bike page or winner circle page.
      Someday maybe I will be able to go to the AMCA website and see a picture of say a 1947 Indian.
      Tom

Tom
      a lot of years ago Rocky and I had a vision of having a web page for the club, and the main thought was to feature the Winners Circle bikes so everybody could see a good example of all those bikes. it is still a good idea to have a page featuring those bikes, they are after all the best of the best.
      Kevin Valentine 13
      EX-Chief Judge

Comment

I agree Kevin; but the problem always seems to be participation by the people who own those bikes. Looking at the total apathy of most all AMCA members regarding this forum, I don't see anything ever happening. I have brow beat my friends to come here and participate on this (our) forum, but I guess everyone is over at the AMCA Facebook page, exchanging brownie recipes.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Another viewpoint is that some (many, according to the stats) of us have no desire to get involved with judging. There are thousands(?) of decent looking bikes owned by members that do not appreciate being told "That's not correct" or "that's just repop" when Winner's Circle status means zip to them/us.
          The vast majority of us are here to learn, ride, tinker with, preserve and enjoy old motorcycles, "pretty", "correct" and "museum quality" are way down on the priority list-if on it at all.
          The word "repop" was used yesterday on the Farcebook site in reference to a bike I own- I do NOT appreciate being judged there by some unknown jerk wanting to impress FBers with his knowledge-or lack thereof.
          I have ridden with the Chief Judge himself at a national road run, he was a joy to ride with and absolutely no "judging" took place during the duration of the 3 day ride-that's not why we were there.
          Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by kval View Post
            Tom
            a lot of years ago Rocky and I had a vision of having a web page for the club, and the main thought was to feature the Winners Circle bikes so everybody could see a good example of all those bikes. it is still a good idea to have a page featuring those bikes, they are after all the best of the best.
            I do remember that Kevin and also thought you guys came up with a great idea. I wouldn't have minded putting detailed pics the couple I have on a photo page. Unfortunately, as sometimes happens, it went nowhere. Oh, and Eric, I have a great meatloaf recipe if you want it.

Rich, I have also a few old, crusty period modified bikes also. I had one judged for jollys and they quit at 65 points, handed me a list a mile long to fix. I laughed and said, "OK, sure". I ride them more than anything else. I fixed nothing and could care less what anyone thinks. I don't know if you have any swap meets in your area or the time to go, but I try to go to 3-4 per year. This is where I will pick up a part, even if it isn't year correct, to keep my junk on the road. Our chapter had it's first swap ever, in an area where there really aren't any and it was amazing how many people showed up and the deals to be had. The people that had million dollar parts sold nothing, the ones with usable oem fairly priced junk sold very well. We had almost 300 pay 5 bucks to get in. It blew my mind. All we did was put up posters and promote it on the internet, cost.....NOTHING.
            Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 10-26-2016, 06:09 AM.
            D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I'll start.

Comment

Good one, Larry!
                Tractor.jpg
                Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

IMG_9757.jpgphoto.jpg This is what my 44 was and now is

Comment

Where's the LIKE button???
                    Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Dayton Concours.jpg

I'll join in too.

Comment

I gotta hurry up and finish my bike!

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
                          I do remember that Kevin and also thought you guys came up with a great idea. I wouldn't have minded putting detailed pics the couple I have on a photo page. Unfortunately, as sometimes happens, it went nowhere. Oh, and Eric, I have a great meatloaf recipe if you want it.

Rich, I have also a few old, crusty period modified bikes also. I had one judged for jollys and they quit at 65 points, handed me a list a mile long to fix. I laughed and said, "OK, sure". I ride them more than anything else. I fixed nothing and could care less what anyone thinks. I don't know if you have any swap meets in your area or the time to go, but I try to go to 3-4 per year. This is where I will pick up a part, even if it isn't year correct, to keep my junk on the road. Our chapter had it's first swap ever, in an area where there really aren't any and it was amazing how many people showed up and the deals to be had. The people that had million dollar parts sold nothing, the ones with usable oem fairly priced junk sold very well. We had almost 300 pay 5 bucks to get in. It blew my mind. All we did was put up posters and promote it on the internet, cost.....NOTHING.
                          Good grief, Folks!

Just move the Judging System completely online, and be done with it.

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776
                          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                            Good grief, Folks!

Just move the Judging System completely online, and be done with it.

....Cotten
                            NOT on this thread-or I'm outta here.
                            Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Too simple of a solution for you, Rich?

Lots of birds killed with just one stone.....

....Cotten
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-27-2016, 03:10 PM.
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                              X