Clutch or Transmission help on a '62 Sprint H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch or Transmission help on a '62 Sprint H

Working on an old Sprint H (250 CC) that was seized up when purchased. Replaced several parts in cylinder head and have rotated engine so it now turns freely with good compression. On the clutch, I have replaced the lined driven plates,the backing plate, cleaned the drive plates and reinstalled the entire clutch plate assembly.

The problem I am encountering is an inability to get it into gear. I've adjusted the clutch lever and it appears to be engaging the releasing disc cap correctly. I have not split the crankcase so don't know if there is an issue with the shifter forks or shifter cam assembly.

If anyone has a suggestion(s) on how to proceed I would be interested in hearing them. This is my first bike project and welcome your feedback.

If the engine was seized it is entirely possible that the gearbox is seized as well. Lots of steel on steel parts in there. Have you flushed it well with something like ATF? Can you shift into gear by hand when not running? If not you need to get into the box.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Lots of Sprint owners get bummed when i tell them i work on american bikes only.All have said the clutch was stuck!

Comment

There seems to be ample movement with the shifter pawl carrier, but nothing seems to engage at either the top end or bottom
        end range of motion. I am unable to shift into gear by hand when not running. I'll try the ATF for a week or so and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
        X