Throttle Cable Routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Cable Routing

From what I recall, on the XLCH the outer throttle casing runs out of the handlebar end, through the hole in the handlebar clamp and through the hole in the upper triple tree bracket along with the wire loom but my memory isn't what it once was. Also, does it run above or below the top motor mount bracket - I believe it runs above but I've seen it installed both ways. Would somebody please confirm these two points?
    Thanks,
    Bill Pedalino
    Last edited by billpedalino; 07-10-2016, 03:20 PM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill,
    Cable should go OVER the motor mount.
    Z

Comment

Thank You ...
      Does it run through the hole in the crown plate?
      Last edited by billpedalino; 07-18-2016, 12:09 PM.
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Does the cable run through the hole in the crown plate or in front of it?

Also, either way I rout the throttle cable, the well-lubricated inner wire does not run through the outer casing without a fair amount of friction, so I'm taking a closer look at what I'm using. I'm always envious of the guys who put together their throttle assemblies that offer almost no resistance or drag when you turn the throttle grip! That's what I shooting for and I can't seem to achieve it. Truth be told, I simply don't remember how freely the new OEM Sportster inner cables ran in the casings - -its just been too many years since I've installed one. However, I would imagine that they ran freely and the aftermarket casings offer less clearance and much more resistance.

Going through my cable box I noted that there are two different cloth-bound outer throttle casings. One has a thicker O.D. that the other and I'm using the thin outer casing, as I seem to remember this diameter on early Sportsters. The thicker casing was for EL/FL use and I'm running one on my knucklehead. However, even totally straight, the smaller casings offer significantly more drag that larger diameter casings. I notice this with the used OEM cable assemblies (which are well worn and not at all straight) as well as with the new, straight and unused V-Twin assemblies.

Can anyone offer their recent experience and/or possibly offer a good supplier of the correct cloth-bound throttle cable assemblied that are correct for early XL's?
        Thanks...
        Last edited by billpedalino; 07-24-2016, 07:53 AM.
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Hiya Bill,
          Not sure what you mean by the Crown Plate.
          Be sure that the inner wire doesn't have any nicks in it. I had one with a pretty good hitch in it from that. Old Dude has proper throttle or clutch assemblies. I just got a set for my 57 Sportster but I haven't run them yet. What year is your bike? I do a lot of looking at the photo's on the Kmodel website since I don't have a long history with these bikes.

http://www.harleykmodel.com/gallery/index.html

DSC_00013-72-768x576.jpg

Comment

Zaemo,
            The OEM term for the crown plate is Upper Bracket for the fork assembly (the one that the fork tubes are screwed into), P/N 45738-62 for my '64 CH. Local reference was 'Crown Plate' back in the 60's/70's. I'm fairly certain that the cable runs through the oblong slot in the middle of the bracket next to the wire loom, but it's been a long time since I've done one of these (correctly) and I'm second-guessing myself.
            By the way, very nice '57.
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill, it runs through the top tree and above the motor mount if you can see it here. Also take that inner hard wire and trash it if your using the dc linkert, go to your local bicycle store and get a braided stainless brake cable and use that instead. The throttle will as work smooth as a babies ass. I use them on all the ch's I ever done and unless you look really close you can't tell.

Last edited by murph; 08-09-2016, 06:10 PM.
              1959 XLCH

Comment

Murph,
                THAT"S a great Idea! I had run the cable from memory as you suggested and it is a little stiff - the 'softer' cable would be a great fix.
                By the way, what is the Part Number for the clip that holds the throttle cable on the left side neck casting ??
                Thanks...
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                X