How did you like the LUCAS OIL VINTAGE MOTORCYCLE CLASSIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you like the LUCAS OIL VINTAGE MOTORCYCLE CLASSIC

I'd like to open this thread so everyone can give their feedback on this weekend.
    1. I did not think that AMCA charged a fee to members to get into a meet. Guess that has changed because it was $20.00 to get in to this one.
    2. I did not think that there should have been only two wristband passes per vendor. There should have been two per spot, like Barber does. I bought 4 spots in the beginning and one got two wristband passes. This needs to change in the future. Talked to some other vendors who said they were able to get more passes for free after raising hell.
    3. Not enough advertisement. Most of the people walking around were vendors in the swap meet area. Very low turnout. Yes, I know it was the inaugural.
    4. Memorial Day Weekend is not the best weekend to have an event like this. Bad planning. I hope it moves to another weekend next year.
    5. One of the fun things about swap meets is the surprise purchase. Having the meet segregated keep buyers from walking ever row. No use in walking down the American row if I'm looking for British parts. WRONG. Many vendors have a variety of items for sale and the spur of the moment buying is limited by this segregation.
    Conrad Ledig
    AMCA 3761

Interesting. Seems like there would be way too much to see and do (I wasn't there). Bigger is not necessarily better. I'd like to see some photos, anybody???
    Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

1. I see no problem with the $20.00 entry fee if there are other things for the customers to do...like a racing program...two much money for just a swap meet...
      2. Agreed...Keith did take care of it and that is appreciated...
      3. Also agreed, non AMCA advertising seemed to be lacking...
      4. Tough to find a weekend that doesn't already have something scheduled...
      5. Didn't really understand the separation...all I hear is we need to bring in fresh blood and then we separate the parts vendors? BTW...By Saturday afternoon most of the HD vendors were gone while most of the Japanese parts vendors were still there...just saying...

All in all I had a good time and can appreciate the effort Keith and all the others put into the event...

Comment

The $20 for the meet would have really been nice if it had included a admission to the Barber museum.
        There were only like two rows of American bike parts, I wasn't a fan so much of the separation of bikes. American, European, Japan.
        I guess I'm used to Wauseon and Davenport the turn out was really really low.
        weather was nice and I saw a few friends from the regular meets....and I wasn't at work!!!!!

Comment

Great spot for a swap meet with the museum and track plus nice camping area. Yes it is a busy weekend but it sure is nice to have the extra day for travel. Low turnout means we get the deals........I would think next year they will get some of the bugs worked out. We had over a dozen people from the Omaha chapter and everyone had a good time. Thanks to all the volunteers and chapters helping out. Worst part was getting through Memphis
          Jarl Rue
          Omaha Chapter
          38ULH
          62FL, 68FLH

Comment

Howdy sir,

Whisk'n thru Memphis with a little difficulty, eh? That's cause we want you to slow down and enjoy BBQ - Central BBQ, Rondevous, Interstate - rather than rush off, 5 local micro breweries with tap rooms and entertainment, Levitt Shell, Overton Square, Cooper Young, Broad St, Beale St, South Main, Loflin Yard, the list goes on. Always enjoy Barber but Birmingham is a total yawner compared to the home turf after the track events are over.
            Cheerio,
            Peter
            1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

When I was at Barber Vintage in Oct I spoke to a local fellow there he said that Barber is the only thing that the city has to attract people to there. He also said that the city dose not have the hotel rooms to be able to secure a major Indy car race there because of requirements for a certain amount of rooms.
              Jim D.
              Jim D

Comment

Inaugural Barber Classic. I was disappointed with the new Classic meet. We were there on Friday. Price was high, attendance was low. The seminars were simply sales pitches for the insurance company and oil company that were sponsors. I hate to pay to sit through two infomercials. The highlight was an opportunity to ride on the Barber track, but only 5 or 6 people participated. (Also, the Fanfare area, was Fanbare.)

Comment

From a "spectator/ shopper's" viewpoint (not a vendor- but a dedicated AMCA member attendee):
                  I had a great time!!!!!!!
                  As "cool" guy says, 'its better than being at work'.

However, with that said, I do realize that the meets would not happen if it weren't for the vendors. I felt bad for them that the foot traffic just wasn't there for this meet. Most all other points have already been stated so I will not reiterate.

but if I did have a complaint.... it would be that most vendors are always gone by Saturday morning or afternoon at every AMCA meet.

Comment

Thanks Bruce. As a an AMCA Guru. Any advice rather than a critique? Maybe my last comment was too strong. Sorry. I personally talked to half the vendors and got a lot of feedback.Wrong weekend, paying for members to get in , not enough entertainment besides the Wall of Death etc. All good feedback. It's all a moot point if we can't find a way to get people there to buy from the vendors which in the AMCA, is what counts, the swap meet. Judging was a fun affair with some great bikes showing up.We'll see what 2017 brings.
                    Last edited by Ross; 06-08-2016, 01:22 PM.
                    Ross

Comment

It was a great time! Vendors where not happy with turn out and many closed up before the show was over. Awesome event. Many thanks to all who worked on this event. I would love to see this as an annual event with racing too!

Comment

Working...
                      X