XLCH Speedo Cable Length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XLCH Speedo Cable Length

I'm looking for a speedometer cable (inner and outer) for my '64 XLCH. The correct one has the cad-plated metal outer cover and not the black vinyl covering. My 1965 parts book lists it as P/N 67051-52A and my 1970 parts book lists it as 67051-52B.

I occasionally see what looks like an OK reproduction cable assembly listed on Ebay which I could use temporarily until I find an OEM part. However, I'm not sure what the correct length as. The length apparently changed for the 1965-66 models and also in its last year of production in 1970. As expected, the sellers list them at multiple lengths and conversely, I don't want to get stuck with a one-size-fits-all repro cable or spend significant money on an incorrect OEM unit. Does anyone know the correct length of this assembly? Also, has anybody used the reproduction metal-jacketed assembly and if so, does it work OK? Even better - does anyone have the correct assembly for sale or trade?
    Thank You...
    Last edited by billpedalino; 03-20-2016, 07:15 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill,
    In my '09 V-Twin catalog they list their trans driven speedo cable (p/n 36-2570 in vinyl / 36-2577 in Zinc / OEM 67051-52A) for '57-'70 XL's at 46" long with a 5/8" top nut. Not sure if Ted is correct. Maybe a good starting point to confirm.
    William
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Thanks William - I saw that as well. I've learned to be careful about some of the finer details in Ted's Catalog though. You're correct - They do try to get it right, but some of the less-than-obvious details are sometimes incorrect. For example, his P/N 36-2577 supposedly fits 1957 through 1970. This is a one-size-fits-all example as there are at leas three different cables over this duration. But the 46" does get me in the ballpark. However, I would prefer that one of the AMCA guys that has a correct cable give me the actual measurement.
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill the v twin will work fine until you find an original. I found an original down at the sunshine meet but it won't be back home until first week of April so I can't get a measurement until then. I bought one off ebay as well and can't believe I was the only one that bid.
        1959 XLCH

Comment

Originally posted by murph View Post
          Bill the v twin will work fine until you find an original. I found an original down at the sunshine meet but it won't be back home until first week of April so I can't get a measurement until then. I bought one off ebay as well and can't believe I was the only one that bid.
          Thanks Murph - You truly carry the Luck-of-the Irish !!

See you at Oley...
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
          X