Springer length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springer length

I'm trying to determine what springer fork my 42 WLA has. The identifying features per Palmers book leads me to think it is from a 41-57 service. 7/8" stem, rocker outboard. Now I'm wondering if it's a 40-41 special military fork which is longer. Mine measures 14 3/4 from bottom of crown plate to bottom of fork. Book says standard or 2 3/8 longer than standard but doesn't say what length standard is.
    Anyone know what standard length is?

Sounds like stock length.
    Below is a picture of a long one and a stock one. Note the length of the reinforcing sleeve at the top of the rear leg. All the longer ones have the distinctive long sleeve. Are your rockers Big Twin type? Or just 45 rockers mounted wrong.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

From your photo, they appear to be the standard length. Here are photos of the rockers. If the rockers belong inboard the spacer would be incorrect also. Other option is that it's from a serv-car I believe.image.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

More

image.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

Yes, those are the Big Twin type rockers, so the fork is likely ex Servi-Car or WLC.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rubone. This bike is not exactly a candidate for restoration. 42 WLA engine, servicar tranny, servicar or WLC forks, 1950 or 1951 frame. Maybe I should be on the frankenbike forum : )
            Good project though. Straight out of the 50's bobber when I get done.

Comment

Just don't get caught up in the "kewl kid" modern bobber BS and use all those hip parts that never existed in partnership in reality. Most "bobbers" (wherever that stupid term came from) are not in any way a reflection of a real "Bob Job" from the time period. Be smart and have fun...
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I don't know how cool it is. One side of the tank is flat, the other side glossy, mismatched years, rusty, scratched, gouged, cracked. It's cool to me but I'm probably in the minority. It could be a "bob job" from post war. Looks like it anyway. I don't plan to restore it. Just get it mechanically sound and ride it. If I can get it back to 1942 to match the engine year I will, but that looks like I'd be hunting down a new frame, springer, tranny and I don't have the inclination to do that at this time.

When I go to bike shows, I'm usually drawn to the bikes in the parking lot that are dirty and leaking oil. Guess I could save some entrance fee money!

Comment

You need to go on Road Runs then, that is where the riders are, not in the shows...
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                    You need to go on Road Runs then, that is where the riders are, not in the shows...
                    Yeah, just ignore those guys in wheelchairs.

....Cotten
                    Attached Files
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Dean used to go to all the Ahrma races and sponsored riders. My wife and I spent several memorable days with Dean drinking beer and watching the races at the old Steamboat Springs event where he was always in attendance. We still miss him and wish he was still around.
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Gosh Robbie,

Don't forget Bruce Palmer III isn't a "rider".

...Cotten
                        No apologies? ... ... ... ....
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-17-2016, 03:28 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Gosh Cotten,
                          I never forget my friends......
                          None of which has the least to do with this thread.
                          Get a life.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I was standing next to Dean & his brother when they fired that bike at Davenport.Dean gave it a good romp and blew the flywheels right thru the bottom..he could only shield his face.Hensley brothers were really nice guys.

Comment

Gosh Cotten,
                              I never forget my friends......
                              None of which has the least to do with this thread.
                              Get a life.
                              So what do you have against folks who can't ride, Robbie?
                              Is that why you rag at me?

And rag at novices, too, of course:
                              Just don't get caught up in the "kewl kid" modern bobber BS and use all those hip parts that never existed in partnership in reality. Most "bobbers" (wherever that stupid term came from) are not in any way a reflection of a real "Bob Job" from the time period. Be smart and have fun...
                              So anybody with a "bobber" is stupid, right? Why would anyone want to attend an AMCA road run if that's the attitude they get?

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X