Member Directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Member Directory

Maybe I'm missing it but is there a Member Directory? The Early V8 Club has one and it has been helpful at times. It seems that connecting members is one of the primary goals of all of this.

Thanks,

Z

I'm sure Bill or Fred will chime in but yes there is a printed directory and it is done every couple of years. the last one had members list by state and another section alphabetically by name. I usually by two. One to write in and make notes and one for posterity. They usually make an announcement in the club magazine when they are doing it and when you can order them so look for it. I think this is a year they will be doing it but Bill Wood or Fred Davis should know.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA#12766

Comment

Thanks Tom,
      I've only been a member for over a year so I missed the last one.
      A searchable online database would be a great function of the forum as well.
      Cheers,
      Chad

Comment

Originally posted by Zaemo View Post
        A searchable online database would be a great function of the forum as well.
        I strongly urge the Forum not to have a searchable directory of members' information. The reasons not to have that information readily available online for the benefit of hackers far outweigh the reasons to have it available.

Comment

I agree with BoschZEV. The club makes a printed roster available to members for a price, and that seems to keep the flies away.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

I respect that people want to remain private. However, this forum already has your information as it has mine. Contact is already a secure function afforded by the sign in process. I don't see how searching a specific region or a specific name and requesting an e-mail address is as dangerous and you might make it sound. I always welcome people to connect with me digitally and forget that others may not feel the same way. A forum such as this is built to allow active participants to do just that.

I guess I don't get paranoid about "hackers" but I can understand how others do. The Early Ford V8 club publishes their book and sends it to every subscriber free of charge every year. It included the member's name address, phone and e-mail. The part I find handy is which vehicles the member owns. I suppose I'll wait for another year or two.

I presume the directory is announced in the Magazine?

Z

Comment

I agree with Eric and Bosch and it is an issue for the AMCA in general. There are a lot more AMCA members that just the ones who come on here. If you look at the directory there a more than a few members who only have their name and AMCA # shown. I'm not one of those but I respect those that don't want their info out there in the world. Unfortunately in todays world there are thieves, hucksters, lies and cheats ever where and access to information gives them the ability to do bad things. In reality if someone has just you name and the state where you live you are vulnerable. If someone really wants to find you they can no matter how far off the grid you think you are. For that reason those that want to remain off the grid as much as possible the AMCA should not have a digital roster available. Buy the print version and heed the warning that comes with it about it's use.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
              AMCA #12766

Comment

Contact is already a secure function afforded by the sign in process. I don't see how searching a specific region or a specific name and requesting an e-mail address is as dangerous and you might make it sound.
                Sorry, but the fact is that every year hackers succeed in accessing a number of "secure," if not highly secure, sites and downloading huge amounts of personal data. I seriously doubt the sign in process for the AMCA site is nearly as secure as it was at JP Morgan, Target, eBay, etc. etc. This concern about hackers is a very real one, not paranoia.

Comment

The Early Ford V8 club publishes their book and sends it to every subscriber free of charge every year. It included the member's name address, phone and e-mail. The part I find handy is which vehicles the member owns. I suppose I'll wait for another year or two.

Z
                  Zaemo, it should be stated that the AMCA roster does not list members' vehicles. This was a big disappointment for me and is the reason I won't be buying another. I want to connect with other members who have bikes similar to mine, so I need more information.

I understand that some members want to keep their collections secret for a variety of reasons, but others are actually proud to share what's in the shop. I'd like to see bikes listed, with an option to list none if that's what the member wishes.

Peter

Comment

I have already conceded but ........

Do you know what those websites have that the AMCA doesn't have? Money. Lots and lots of money. That makes those companies a target for hackers. I can promise you that there is no team of Ukrainian hackers waiting to bust the AMCA forum wide open to unearth some old motorcycle enthusiasts e-mail address. What is the motivation for anyone to hack this site? The AMCA already has your personal information in a computer connected to the internet, by the way.

I concede once more on the basic principal that less personal information on the internet is better than more. However, if I was so concerned, I wouldn't have a personal computer connected to the internet and I would hide my money in my mattress but I don't want to live like that.

Good points, Peter. Again, I have to remind myself that some people are not "sharers" and that's OK.

Z

Comment

I have already conceded but ........

Do you know what those websites have that the AMCA doesn't have? Money. Lots and lots of money. That makes those companies a target for hackers. I can promise you that there is no team of Ukrainian hackers waiting to bust the AMCA forum wide open to unearth some old motorcycle enthusiasts e-mail address. What is the motivation for anyone to hack this site?
                      Sorry, but you can't promise there are no hackers interested in the AMCA site. The examples I gave are ones with wide name recognition. However, tens of thousands of sites have been hacked for many different reasons. Here's a link to an article in Forbes saying 30,000 sites are hacked every day, giving some of the reasons it's done and citing the "misconception is that cyber criminals only go after large enterprises or government organisations":

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jameslyn.../#2728e8253a8c

Nearly every university and college in the world has a computer science department, each with hundreds of undergraduate students practicing their skills, and "secure" sites like the AMCA are attractive to some of them for doing that. For a student to even attempt to hack into Goldman Sacks carries the very real risk of being caught and prosecuted. Not so with a site like AMCA.
                      Last edited by BoschZEV; 01-27-2016, 12:19 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

Zaemo
                        The last AMCA roster was printed in 2013 and is available from Cornerstone Registrations at 866-427-7383. No fully searchable online roster is available to members.
                        Fred
                        Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

Working...
                        X