Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E R Thomas engine

IMG_2060.jpgIMG_2063.jpg
    Hi, I recently found a E R Thomas engine. I am hoping some can give me some info about it. what year was it made? I am in Australia and had found reference to a Thomas Auto-bi in the old newspapers in november 1902. Where they sold as a engine kit or a complete motor bicycle. Have included the engine number to help identify. thanks Dave

You probably already have this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Motor_Company
    Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Dave the ER thomas was a motor company that started In 1901 ,, it a four stroke motor, clip on style that used a special cast aluminum motor bedplate for mounting the motor ...they also used a special cast aluminum rear belt sheave and a very nicely made belt tensioner that mounted to the seat post tube , they had there own gas tank , oil tank , all made by thomas,, also special rear hub , wheels and spokes,, very nice stuff and heavy duty,, ,, the thomas company leased out the globe bicycle works in 1900 and tooled it up for a cost of 250.000$ to make your motor ,,,and they sold a lot of them !which started the motorcycle boom in America. ,, I have restored several of these bikes through the years and I am interested in your motor if you want to sell it ,, my name is Jon szalay and I live in New Jersey USA my email is jsrestore@aol.com. If you want to talk more,,,
      Last edited by jsrestore; 01-24-2016, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Hello Dave
        Jon knows a lot about E R Thomas. I am also working on one and have collected about 25 serial numbers of E R Thomas motors
        I will add yours to my list Good Luck with your project. E-mail Guzzipaul@aol.com

Comment

Originally posted by GuzziPaul View Post
          Hello Dave
          Jon knows a lot about E R Thomas. I am also working on one and have collected about 25 serial numbers of E R Thomas motors
          I will add yours to my list Good Luck with your project. E-mail Guzzipaul@aol.com
          Thanks ,, by the way ,,how is your thomas project coming along its got to like a decade ago when you found that ,, I don't ever see any parts around especially for the "big " thomas you are working on,, I have found a few more motors since we last talked and need to send you the numbers

Comment

hello Jon
            Between back problems and moving ( my 40 some Moto Guzzi's ) the project was on hold.
            Dave L. was suppose to get me some handle bars.I have been trying to find the rear section (Hygenic Chushion)
            I had several castings made for the cases for the BB motor and would like to find the correct carb.
            Guzzipaul@aol.com

Comment

If you get stuck on the carb ,, I make the carb for the clip on motors ,, I think they are very similar

Comment

I am interested in one of the small carbs for a clip on motor. Please email me info on them. Thanks,George Albright,Ocala,Fla. email gnalbright@gmail.com cell weekdays 10-4 EST best 352 843 1624

Comment

Dear Friends: Please share with your early bicycle and motor cycle collector friends. More photos by email,just ask.I received this clip on 1900 motor from France 9 months ago,at a cost of $3,600 including shipping. I have had it priced at $5,800 which I believe is its true value. However I have just reduced the price to $3,800 so someone else can enjoy it! Looks like super rare De Dion Bouton motor of 1 1/2 to 2 HP but no markings and super cool combustion chambers on both sides. Superb condition. No cracked/missing fins, no cracks in crankcase. Turns over. Sprocket to run a magneto for ignition Output shaft comes out 2 inches. Super cool Orient type compression release at top which also acts as a primer cup. Motor is very similar to a Thomas,Orient,Marsh Metz, or Holley motor. Only 14 lbs!!! Crankcase is 6 inches wide and 3 1/4 inches thick. Motor stands 12 1/2 inches tall over,16 inches overall with compression release at top included. Condition inside unknown. Sold as is. First photo is of a very similar motor installed in a circa 1900 ladies bike. Easy installation and turn your 1900 bicycle into a big bucks 1900 motor cycle! USA shipping insured will be $100.Foreign insured shipping for costs. I also have included in this motor a super rare circa 1900 Cottereau Dijon moteur cycle head badge also from France,that would go perfect to re badge your bike with this motor, and make both French! It is included without additional cost to the new owner of the motor.Good luck, Good Luck George Albright, Ocala, Florida. Cell weekdays 10-4 EST Best: --3---5--2---8--4---3--1---6---2---4-- Email gnalbright@gmail.com
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X