40-46 HD emblem placement dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40-46 HD emblem placement dimensions

I recently purchased a 40 Harley that someone has removed the emblem mounts from the gas tanks and then repainted the tanks. Can anyone give me the up & down and left to right dimensions of where I should weld on repop emblem mounts? I've looked all over the Internet hoping to find info on the matter but no luck.

Is there any trace of the original spot welds where the bracket was? In lieu of that; dimensions can be ambiguous because it is very difficult to transcribe a linear measurement over compound curves. Also, the bottom shape of the left and right tanks are very different. When I have transferred measurement from left, to right side tanks, I have used lead solder as my measuring tool because the solder doesn't stretch, and it can conforms to the shape of the tank. As for placement, I assume the 1940 teardrop emblem goes in the same place as a 1941. I think with careful examination of pictures of '41-'46 gas tanks, that you should be able to see where the bisecting line of the trim strips are.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Hi Eric,

No there's no trace of the old bracket welds. I bought this bike from a guy who had just bought it a week earlier from another guy that had owned it since the early 60's. In the 60's the bike would have only been considered nothing more than just a twenty year old used motorcycle. So, this guy did several things to make it look newer. I guess he had some reason that he wanted the emblems removed. Then in 1980, he put it in his barn and it stayed there until a few weeks ago. When I got the bike, I was handed the original emblems but the brackets were long gone. So, even though the sheet metal paint is not original, the rest of it is. I want to keep that 50 year old paint, patina, rust and dirt just the way it is. But at the same time, I'm trying to get the bike back to 1940 as much as possible. So I didn't want to sand off any paint looking for spot welds. I want to just sand off what I need to in order to weld new brackets on. I'm like you, I would think that the 40 emblem would go in the same place as 41's. I may end up just buying a repop set of 41-46 strips to use as a guideline but I hated to spend money on a set just for reference and then put them on the shelf. That is a good piece of advice about using the solder wire for a measuring guide. I'll put that to use.

Best Regards,
      Mark Helms
      Last edited by 26modelB; 11-19-2015, 09:00 AM.

Comment

I have a O.P. 1949 tank that has an emblem mount that has pulled away at the front. I mentioned this on a forum and someone said that there is a bonding compound that is used in the paint and body trade that is as strong as a weld. They also mentioned that it is not available retail so you would have to go to a body shop. That might be the way to go it you don't want to disturb the paint you have. Of course you would have to have the surface prepped, and ready, and some way of putting the mount in the exact right place. . . . But, that's your problem
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

A local man 70 years old, respected craftsman, swears the bonding agent described by Eric is incredibly strong and you will bend sheet metal before you can peel it off. He buys from the Ford dealer.
          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Not all tanks had emblems on them. Many Police department as well as military tanks were smooth sided.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by 26modelB View Post
              I recently purchased a 40 Harley that someone has removed the emblem mounts from the gas tanks and then repainted the tanks. Can anyone give me the up & down and left to right dimensions of where I should weld on repop emblem mounts? I've looked all over the Internet hoping to find info on the matter but no luck.
              Hi Mark,
              If you are still interested in measurements my 40 tanks are off so I could try to do this for you. As someone else mentioned it won't be easy but if we get our heads together we might get close. I will be watching here for your reply.
              Bye for now.
              Rod
              AMCA#25781

Comment

Working...
              X