'27 J and sidecar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '27 J and sidecar?

I am in the early stages of restoring a '27 J. The bike is still mostly in boxes at present. Looking to get into it over the winter.

I have been offered the opportunity of buying a side car with the fittings for this model and year. I have always wanted to have a sidecar set up.

Before I do the deal though I was concerned about what changes I might need to make other than just bolting the sidecar to the frame.

Currently my bike does not have a front brake.
    That's ok for a solo machine but I would like to fit one if I go with the s/car. Will the old forks stand up to the stress imposed by, say, a repro later JD brake set up? Or will the forks need strengthening or replacing with later ones to run a front brake?

Is there any difference to the gearing in the box between the standard solo and bikes pulling a chair? Or is just a question of changing the drive sprocket? And if so what is the optimum tooth number to go to.

Are there any other changes I would need to make?

I don't want to spend money on the s/car only to find I have to invest a whole lot more money - that I don't really have - on making the bike work with it fitted

thanks in advance

Martin

Martin

Martin,

If it is the correct sidecar for your bike, it should bolt right on without any problems. The only change you really need to make is to change the gearing a bit, and this can all be done with sprockets. I usually gear my sidecar rigs for heavy solo service, as the manuals of the day called it. I find that the standard sidecar gearing is way too low for how we ride them today.

Regarding a brake, well in the immortal words of Doc Patt (early AMCA member) "If you're worried about stopping, you're in the wrong hobby! These machines were designed to RUN, not stop!!!!" So, I've tried to live with that. My 24 chief and princess sidecar have only the rear brake, as does my 19X with Flxi sidecar. The brakes are pretty weak indeed, so safe riding requires considerable fore thought. My 39 H-D sidecar rig has 3 wheel brakes, and what a treat that is! My next sidecar, a Princess for the 31 Chief will also have 3 wheel brakes. So, you can ride it with just the rear brake, but do everything possible to make that brake work perfectly. Adding a front brake will help a little, but everyone I've talked to about the 20's front brakes say they are not really very effective. However, with careful brake fitting, it could certainly be a helpful addition. I would think that a front brake could be skill fully fitted to the front end and not look too out of place. I would also think the forks could handle it as well, there would actually be more strain on them from the sidecar than from the brake.

Whatever you do, it will be a hoot! I love old bikes with sidecars!

Gene Harper
    Attached Files

Comment

Martin, if you're worried about brakes, you could look into a BMX disc brake for the sidecar. It would take some clever engineering to make is inconspicuous, but they are affordable and would give you a bit more stopping power. As Gene said, early front brakes leave much to be desired, and on a JD you would really have to use the '28-'29 fork and brake assembly. That could get pricey.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Hi Martin, You will also need to add compression plates under the cylinders unless you already have a sidecar model engine. Ric

Comment

Originally posted by Ric Bolduc View Post
          Hi Martin, You will also need to add compression plates under the cylinders unless you already have a sidecar model engine. Ric
          Why would you need compression plates? I've known of a number of standard, and high compression Indian, and Harley SVs, OHVs, and IOEs that have done sidecar duty without any problems what so ever. I think the compression plates were used because gasoline, oil, and road conditions were of very questionable quality back in the teens, and 20s. No doubt, a sidecar is hard on a motorcycle, but with well paved roads, and high quality expendables, I don't think compression is much of an issue. Actually, on my '51FL, I wanted the extra power for sidecar pulling, and I never had a problem with overheating. I did have a problem with tire wear, and spoke/wheel stress.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
          X