Attracting younger people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attracting younger people

We are a smaller Club, The Bear Mountain Chapter, located in southern N.Y. on the Jersey line on the western side of the Hudson. We have found that ACTIVITY attracts people. Whether it is rides, that we have every couple weeks, or meetings, formal or social, that we have every few weeks, people want activity. We don't care if the bike is new, old, street, off road, American, foreign, or anything in between. We just had our first picnic this past weekend, and more than 30 bikes were on the ride, and 88 members and family were there. Young, old and everything in-between. To me, I believe the fact that we are very active, even over the colder non-riding times, was key to keeping people interested and attending events. Social media, such as frequent e-mailing members and our face-book page is also a big help in getting the younger people involved. For members that don't actively use social media or computers, I personally call and let them know of any upcoming events. People REALLY like the personal contact. Check out our face-book page, Bear Mountain antique motorcycle club and see.
    Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 09-30-2015, 05:56 AM.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Here's something for the cold, non-riding months: Have a "movie night" at a regular club meeting. The movie, of course, should be about motorcycling. Don't forget the popcorn!
    Whatever you can do to make the club and its meetings fun, will attract new members and keep the ones you have.
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

I am an eBay motorcycle nut. Which is to say I monitor trends and pricing as far as this huge electronic data base market is concerned on a daily if not hourly basis. The selling prices on classic/antique motorcycles, parts, and memorabilia is just plain ridiculously astronomical. In most cases young people today can't even pay their rent or car insurance never mind get into a high dollar American antique motorcycle with all the maintenance and expense that comes with it. The price of this lifestyle would scare the crap out of anybody. So what is available to young people? Lower price range classic/antique bikes - The Japanese machines from the 60's and 70's (as an example). I think (always have since the 80's) that these bikes are the new wave of Antique Motorcycle ownership and participation because the price range & availability of resources is much more approachable for younger people who want to get into this club and have a great bike to do it with. I think our club (on the surface) looks like it is more geared toward high end Antique motorcycles (which is great for me personally). This is possibly intimidating for younger people who have their heads in a cell phone most of the time.

Comment

I grew up in the '60's and '70's and I, as many of my riding buddies, could not afford a Harley. First bike was a Honda CB-77, next was a Yamaha XS-1B which sadly I turned into a "chopper", I quickly realized I had destroyed the motorcycle and traded it in on a 1972 Norton 750 Combat Commando, WOW. I then went through a series of the worst motorcycles Yamaha ever built, a couple of TX-750's and 2 shaft drive triples. I then decided I should have been a test rider for Yamaha as I could break anything they built.
        I also watch Fee-Bay and Mecum, just for fun. Motorcycling to me is now just for fun as it always was.
        Some Japanese motorcycles have attained collector status, due to their rarity, but most are just fun to ride, if they survived. They certainly should not be overlooked as they are now antiques and affordable for younger enthusiasts and we should be welcoming these guys and gals to the AMCA.
        Let us all rejoice for affordability and rideability and yes I am the proud owner of a Norton Combat Commando as well as a Yamaha CT1-C.

Comment

Young people, Folks,...

Are immune to nostalgia.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
            Young people, Folks,...

Are immune to nostalgia.

....Cotten
            That's my experience with nieces, and nephews of the plug-n-play generation. They walk right by all my other bikes, but want to see my '66 Honda 450. That is until they see it and then they don't believe it's a Honda.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Well I guess we've lucky out here in Nor Cal because our new chapter President is 39 and he's also our chapter chief judge for our National swap meet. He's got a couple choppers in the garage which we all did back in the sixties but he has a nice '46 stock Chief coming around and a 1954 FL (both full fendered) among other bikes. We just passed the torch in the last couple of years to the third generation to run the chapter forty years in. We've been actively working on our chapters survival since it's founding. Most the younger ones around here started with affordable cone shovels then worked backward as they saved money and their young families progressed. They save broken knuckles and pans that us older members would pass by but they've learned the skills to bring them back from the dead. Lots of sweat equity is all it takes. Mentoring is actively practiced by us older grey beards. We don't want forty years of hard work (the chapter) to go down the drain so it's all about self preservation at this point. It's not easy and those young ones are not hanging on trees but when we find one we make sure they don't get away. They are us and we were them. Our national road runs in Washington. Oregon. and Cal parking lots are full of them youngin's.
              DrSprocket

Comment

I'm bribing my son in-laws, both about 30. One rides a newer Harley, the other has only ridden one of my old sidecar rigs once, but he is hooked!. I'll be picking up 2 WL's soon that have been restored years ago, very low miles but in storage for years. First task is to get them running again, which doesn't involve anything major at all. Then we can ride them and hopefully get them hooked! They're both excited about the prospect!

Comment

As a “younger” person who’s been around this scene more than 30 years, the AMCA is not friendly to folks under 50. And if you don’t show up on a big twin, you’re obviously not worthy and need education. Every meet someone tells me i shouldn’t have an italian bike at an american meet. i get made fun of for riding aermacchi around meets. the assumption is i’m cheap, a wanna be harley rider, and a newbie. none is true. more to the point, exactly how often do you see aermacchi running around?

Every swap meet is also an endless sea of “mentors” who live to talk at you like you’re a ten year old. This includes our leadership as some of the shittiest encounters i’ve had have been with our ED and national board members who are always too important to talk to anyone but chapter presidents.

it’s even worse for young women. my wife recently joined both the club and our chapter. she’s over 50 and came to bikes only recently. she came to her first and last road run. she felt so unwelcome and mansplained to by the grey beards about her scooter that she’ll never be back. i had to beg her to come to our winter chapter meet because of how cliqueish these things oft are.

people talk this big game about being inviting, and i call bullshit. i couldn’t sign up for the black hills run because my wife refused to come along after her experiences with the amca. to put this in context, my wife attended a bunch of meets, chapter meetings and a road run having the same experience each time: old guys talking down to her and the women giving her the stink eye to the extent we both now wonder why we are bothering trying to be involved in the amca and chapters.

Rare is the person who treats “young” people as the adults they are and takes the time to figure out whether you may actually have experience or anything to contribute.

It gets tiring to deal with the fools jabbering about their “knowledge” and their bad assery because they automatically assume young folks are broke and uninformed.

among the only amca friends i’ve made are other young people who are totally ignored on road runs. we wind up talking about the bullshitty behavior and pompous attitudes of the “experts” seeking to “mentor” us.

Comment

Whoa back up the bus Chuck! I don't know who you've run into but I've been a member for 40 years and in our chapter since a couple of months after it's founding 40 years ago and I haven't met the people your talking about. I will say this though that when I joined I was 35 and half the "old" guys gave me **** but since I was a combat vet like my Dad and I'd come from a tough High School I gave it right back. I hung with members that rode chops like me and we transitioned to full fendered rides later. On early road rides (first in 1987) I'd hear the talk but guys like Kenny Edmonds from Oregon would tell them to shut up because he remembered what they were like and what they rode when they were our age. The Washington and Oregon until last year both had women Chapter presidents. Our new 39 year old President's wife rides a chopped Sporty and is a multi tour combat vet. I've been on almost 40 National road runs all over this country and have never seen what you and your wife have experienced. It simply wouldn't be accepted. There's all types in this world so I'm sure there are in this club too, but there's way more good than bad. P.S. The Guzzi stuff is in the mail. Check your box in a couple of days. Come to OUR swap meet and to one of OUR road runs and get treated right. Other Chapter's will do the same!
                    DrSprocket

Comment

I get Chuck's point perfectly, Folks.

Only the 'establishment' can run off a whole chapter.

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776
                      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Howdy sir,

I must be living on a different planet. For 7 straight years and many misc. afterward I didn’t go anywhere without this Vespa, 2nd pic is of it on the Wednesday Indian Breakfast Ride at Daytona and it was my default swap meet machine, lovingly received everywhere and people still as ask about 25 years later. Out of my 3 “Big Twins”, only one has been on a Road Run in 35 years, of late it’s been this “sissy” all white BMW. Note our Little Rock member’s stunning Guzzi gassing up behind us, I would own and proudly ride that one in a second.

I joined the AMCA as a whippersnapper years ago when many of the original members, Doc Pat, Smitty, etc. were still extent and then grown a bit curmudgeonly. I can only say an eye brow was cocked through these decades viewing what I was riding occurred on two occasions: as a young member too poor to afford an original paint machine appearing to have been in my possession for years I created then what is now referred to as a newly patenaed 46 Chief…and then when we took to riding Vincent’s. The latter deserving of some derision, I will admit, as the perceived elitism conveyed by these is no doubt deserved and having its origins with their owner’s club I am no longer a member of. Unlike these for which there is no reasonably priced entry level machine we have lots options, cone shovels, etc.

When riding with RichO’s crew in Monterrey it was heartening to see so many young enthusiastic members. I’ve forgotten how resilient a young vigorous body can be aboard a mid 60’s hard tail Sporty chopper with an unpadded king-queen seat on rough terrain.

Cheerio,
                        Peter
                        1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Of course you do Tom. Yes, we call it at our Chapter level the 'Corporation" but it doesn't exist without the Chapter's. We control our existence. We actively engage younger members and we've always been gender blind. We see a "Floater" and we latch on to them like velcro. The more the merrier and we are there to help them if they need it. ALL motorcycles are welcome and actively sought out. Yes. there are groups of members who have ridden many years together but are always looking for someone new to join in. I remember pre-2000 when it was Bob Mclean and the AMC. Some of the older group back then were tough nuts to crack but we were up to the task and made some good friends. About women riders. One of the best times I ever had was as a motorcycle safety instructor helping new women riders perfect their riding skills then going out and getting their own m/c and coming back and telling me how much they enjoyed two-wheel flying like I did. We have more than a few out here. Our meet also has our local awards for best European, best British, best Japanese, etc. We enjoy all motorcycles. Sorry you have had BAD experiences with some people and situations but don'[t paint us all with the same brush. We avoid those just like you should. Like anyone would. If someone spends their lifetime becoming an ***hole doesn't mean it's worth the effort to change them. Just hang out with someone who isn't.
                          DrSprocket

Comment

To address the original question about how to attract younger members, I'd say Peter's on to something with the Vespa. Somehow, if you can, try to attract a cadre of enthusiasts that favor two wheel machines from the 60's and 70's...any flavor and not just Pans and Shovels, but Vespas, Hondas, Beemers, etc....bikes that people remember from their youth.

(I often ride with a friend who rides his /5 BMW, and we have an informal contest....during stops if anyone comes over to gawk at two old bikes we make note of which bike gets the first and most attention...he gets a big head because often people fuss over his '69 BMW and ignore my '46 Indian...and it's because they remember riding, owning, or lusting after a motorcycle from the '60's or '70's when they were younger.)

My 2 cents!
                            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

…and Rich, how bout the withering gaze of Mort Wood, of military bearing who missed nothing of perceived miscreants? The Hampton Inn beside the Daytona Speedway was the defacto headquarters for the AMCA officers during Bike Week. We, admittedly, were not well received when our crew showed in mass in 1990 for the first time, myself on a loud yellow Norvil Commando, often ridden shirtless. The rest of the time we spent drinking beer and riding around the parking lot at all hours. By the mid 90’s the old guard had been bludgeoned into accepting us somehow. Here’s two old “tough nuts” cracking a smile behind my then over the top hotrod Chief making its first appearance in 1997 with matching English Pudding Basin (and still no shirt). Spent many a mile with these two on Road Runs before and afterward, Smitty often on his dusty old Sport Scout.
                              Cheerio,
                              Peter
                              1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Working...
                              X