1947 Chief paint inside fenders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Chief paint inside fenders?

I'm refinishing all the sheet metal on my 1947 Chief. What color did the factory paint the underside of the fenders? I cleaned the dirt and road tar, but couldn't figure out what the original color might have been.

Thanks (First post since joining AMCA)

Larry Gibson

More than likely, a thin coat of the fender color. They didn't go to great lengths... but would have just sprayed the inside like the outside.

When we do vintage cars, we often spray a sealer inside fenders then paint body color on top of it. The rubberized/flexible sealer helps prevent 'inside dents' and rust starting inside the fender, and is indistinguishable from outside. You paint body (fender) color over the sealer.

For a motorcycle, this is a great way to proceed, since it keeps rock chips, etc. from transmitting through the fender and damaging the outside 'fine' finish.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Thanks. That's what I guessed but wanted to hear from those who know.

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
      More than likely, a thin coat of the fender color. They didn't go to great lengths... but would have just sprayed the inside like the outside.

When we do vintage cars, we often spray a sealer inside fenders then paint body color on top of it. The rubberized/flexible sealer helps prevent 'inside dents' and rust starting inside the fender, and is indistinguishable from outside. You paint body (fender) color over the sealer.

For a motorcycle, this is a great way to proceed, since it keeps rock chips, etc. from transmitting through the fender and damaging the outside 'fine' finish.

Cheers,

Sirhr
      Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not "restoring" to get points in judging, but I do enjoy making authentic repairs when possible.

Comment

Hi,
        From bikes I have stripped to bare metal, the underside of the fenders was painted the same color as the outer skin. For a 1947 Chief, the standard colors were Indian Red, Deluxe Black, and Seafoam Blue. Police bikes had more leeway concerning color, two-toning, etc.

1947 Indian Order Blank front.jpg1947 Indian Order Blank rear.jpg

Comment

Thanks for responding and thanks for the attachment. I will print it out and "order" my own 1947 Indian.
          Larry Gibson

Comment

Here's a question, on the 1947 order form that Yellow53 posted (thanks!) I had a copy of that order form but I never really noticed that for the entry trim level Clubman, on the listings of Accessory Groupings on the back, the seat is listed as "Standard Saddle". On the upscale Sportsman the seat is listed as "De Luxe Saddle". What's the difference between the two?
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

When my fenders were ready for paint, I put them in first and hung them upside down and painted the underside of them. After drying I flipped them upright and finished the paint.
              Jim D.
              Jim D

Comment

I like to paint fenders hanging upside down. Gets inside done and keeps stuff from settling on the paint. Dale

Comment

Umm, yeah. I don't hang upside down, the fenders do!! Dale

Comment

Thanks everybody. As the assembly progresses, I'm sure I'll have more questions, in spite of hundreds of photos taken during disassembly.

Comment

I like using a high zinc primer to add an extra level of protection against rust.
                      George Tinkham
                      Springfield, IL
                      www.virmc.com
                      AMCA # 1494
                      1941 Indian 841
                      1948 Indian Chief
                      1956 H-D KHK
                      1960 CH
                      1964 BMW R69S
                      1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                      1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Has anyone used POR15 on the frame or other parts (like under the fenders)? To George - My dad and my son are aircraft mechanics. Zinc chromate used to be a favorite coating for chrome moly tubing in aircraft.
                        Larry Gibson

Comment

I put POR 15 on a frame and some other parts a few years ago and then blasted it off about a week later a terrible finish in my opinion. I then refinished in single stage and was very pleased. Also POR 15 dose not have UV protection if remember correctly. I would not use it on anything that I was restoring. I gave what was left to a friend for his rusty snow plow and he said that it held up well. I think it has a use but I would not use it on a quality restoration. Just my opinion.
                          Jim D
                          Jim D

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                            Here's a question, on the 1947 order form that Yellow53 posted (thanks!) I had a copy of that order form but I never really noticed that for the entry trim level Clubman, on the listings of Accessory Groupings on the back, the seat is listed as "Standard Saddle". On the upscale Sportsman the seat is listed as "De Luxe Saddle". What's the difference between the two?
                            The deluxe solo saddle had a small skirt and short fringes on the backside of the seat. The standard saddle had no skirt, no fringes. I believe the deluxe saddle was '46-48 only option.

Comment

Jim D - Just curious. You used the term "single stage" What does that mean?
                              Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X