denton meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• denton meet

thanks for sticking a fork in the meet we have supported for 6 years,we have been competing with myrtle beach rally and clt motor speedway for spectators, now barber 2weeks later,one only needs to look at, the now defunct all harley drags,as an example to catering to the rich guys as an example of what can happen. mark harris

So move the date! You two weeks after Oley which was just stupid from day one. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

point well stated bob, we thought possibly in april so folks could stop by and sell or buy a few parts on there way to oley, from florida. thanks for your input, mark h.

Comment

Glad to see someone wants to talk about it

Comment

I think that any talk about Denton being obliterated by an event at Barber's is overlooking several factors. First, a number of AMCA members from the Southeast have said that they would love to attend Denton except for their long-term commitment to the Riding Into History event at the World Golf Village in St. Augustine which has been on the same weekend as Denton frequently. The dates for this event have now moved to May 20-12, 2016. Historically, the Denton Meet is the week after Mother's day which will place it May 13-15, 2016. The Barber event is May 27-29, 2016. Think about, travel to Denton, NC for a great AMCA National Meet, then down to Florida the next weekend for a wonderful Concours event, then over to Birmingham the following weekend for a new Meet at Barber's. Three great weekends in the Southeast.

As long as the Denton date remains on its same May weekend, it will always have to compete with the Myrtle Beach Harley-Davidson Rally. Though it is certainly true that the H-D riders that attend there are by far a late-model crowd, those are the types of folks, non-members of the AMCA, that contribute to the bottom line by paying admittance at the gate in Denton. For the most part, the financial success of the meet depends on their attendance. If you walk through the parking lots you see a preponderance of local license tags - NC, SC and some from VA, and we would like that they continue to come.

The goal of the Southern Coalition of AMCA Chapters has always been and always will be about having a friendly event for both AMCA vendors, AMCA attendees and the general public where everyone can have a good time, buy some parts for that special project, sell parts to those needing those parts, meet old friends and make new ones.

Though there have been several discussions about moving the date, most of which revolve around a date sometime in October after the Jefferson National Meet, the consensus is to leave the date as-is.
          Last edited by Lonnie; 08-01-2015, 10:16 PM.
          Lonnie Campbell #9908
          South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Lonnie,

I don't think anybody suggested the meet would get obliterated. The meet in my eyes has been great get together more than anything else, which is great. I do think if the swap meet grew a bit , it could possibly bring in a few more people. I also think that riding in the area is nicer in the fall. It might also be of concern that the weather patterns show rain to be less likely in the fall. Whatever happens , whenever the meet happens I will be there to hang with my friends. I have concerns after seeing Florida's meet being split up from Eustice, I don't know if it was the lack of involvement by some of us or some disagreements but I sure would hate to see the same fate happen to Denton. I don't know why Louie is so pissed off when the subject comes up, we are only talking about it. No matter what time of the year it happens , they re will always be some other conflicting event going on. The sum it up, Denton is a better party than a swap meet in my eyes.

Steve O

Comment

Below is my final post to the other "move Denton Meet" thread in the parking lot section.....

OK my last post on this dead topic, like I said before the topic of moving the meet was discussed (in a civilized manner) at various meeting and decided NOT to move it LAST year! This is NOT a new or ongoing topic, its a done deal just like the Barber meet deal was sealed before our meet this year. Steve O I dont know why you keep bringing it up or think you thought of it originally. As far as my opposition to a board decision, I dont know what your referring to, my only opposition was to the way they handled trying to get our meet to move dates. But this again is ancient history, its been over for a while.
              I spoke to our meet chairman yesterday about this tread, he was not aware it existed but was concerned over some of its contents. One thing was people not associated with the meet contacting the FarmPark and inquiring about other dates, this is not acceptable, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM MAKING SUCH INQUIRES.
              Finally I want to say that we conduct our meet by having face to face meetings and occasional emails, we do not discuss details on this forum, facebook, or any other social media. If someone wants to get involved, contact one of the chapter presidents or the meet chairman, we welcome all help we can get.
              This Steve O is how we handle our business.
              Louie
              FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
              Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
              YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

quote: "thing was people not associated with the meet contacting the FarmPark and inquiring about other dates, this is not acceptable, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM MAKING SUCH INQUIRES. " end quote of Louie Hale

Hmmm. I understand Louie's position, however, in this club there are often too many questions with non-answers. It makes a guy feel a little helpless and on the outside not looking in, but on the outside and locked out. So if these guys sought out the answer for themselves, or researched the possibilities, without derailing previous arrangements of course, no harm no foul, .... I have to defend their right to make an inquiry.
                Must've been a lack of mutual trust somewhere. Information helps you understand each other better, and either builds trust, or busts it all to hell. Oohh Dear Abbey, Dear Abbey!

Comment

Louie I 'm done with this too. BTW I never claimed that the fall was my idea, I only stated that I brought it up at the last meeting in Denton, at the time after hearing about Barber I thought it might be a good idea.

Steve O

Comment

wo guys, didn't mean to raise any ire, just trying to state my opinion on something that was on my mind, hoping that maybe the powers to be could come up with some ideas to bring more people to the event,to make it grow, for the benefit of all,vendor's and visitors.no one in our group, 3 to 4 vendors that word together, have,.nor would have contacted the farm park, about moving the date, or anything else. mark harris

Comment

Wow, Away from the keyboard for a few weeks traveling since the Presidents meeting in Ohio, only to hear We at Eustis are not the only ones to feel pressure to move our date or stop a 20 year tradition or some other event is scheduled too close to our date. I have a Lot of respect for Lonnie after talking with him after the meeting, Denton Farms is a great venue that serves a good number of surrounding states. We have to recognize that AMCA members want to have input to the leaders, and some people are more skilled in their expression of ideas than others. Very few people can do 3 week ends in a row for multiple events unless you are close. the Trust Fund Babies that seem to be so vocal about attending all these wonderful swap meets and road runs forget the common man has a life, job and Family that come before they can escape and be with friends a few times a year.

Keep up the Good work Lonnie, but do not forget the members want to help not harm with ideas and suggestions.

Comment

Dear All;

We all also know that the world of motorcycling reaches far and wide and there are only so many weekends on the annual calendar. I suspect with so many organized events by so many more "for profit promoters", more independent Museums, Racing and Rally facilities looking to fill empty spots on their calendars and all the other organized motorcycle clubs other than the AMCA, the competition for enthusiasts time and dollars will only get more challenging. I applaud Lonnie and all whom fight this fight every year. Tough decisions are inherent. Hell...then at the end of it all you all get to deal with the weather!
                        Steve Klein
                        Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
                        American Pre-teens - 1965
                        AMCA Member 12176
                        Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
                        www.CherokeeAMCA.org
                        Steve@SteveKlein.com
                        Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

I’ve read with interest the two threads regarding the Denton/Southern National Meet since being Blue Ridge Chapter member and as this meet is the closest to me. I applaud the Coalition for all their efforts and managing a great meet! IMHO, the chosen time frame for the meet is a great time in NC (weather is what it is!). Sadly, I’ve noticed a decline in vendor attendance over the years. I’m going challenge all to brainstorm and/or offer suggestions how to bolster vendor attendance and improve this meet! I believe we can make the Denton/Southern National Meet a venue folks will choose over other meets/events occurring at or around the same time! Again, just my humble opinion!
                          William
                          William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
                          http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

On one hand the new Barber event may distract from some vendor who must choose carefully which events to attend through the year, Oil prices and travel expenses are going down slightly and should help. I believe that a more expanded advertising campaign should be looked at. Handing out flyers to people at more local events early, and recruiting vendors that will pass them out across the country.

I have some experience with the marketing side of vending with Eustis and Pate, and I will offer this in a good faith effort to help those putting on this great meet. Please consider the following, if you are fishing in a bucket (AMCA) your possibilities are limited, Try standing in the bucket and fish everywhere outside the Bucket in the Antique world. My limited knowledge of the surrounding states is the same as with Texas. There has been a great growth of people in the North Carolina area, and how to reach out to these new people is key to growth.. not an easy task but talking about the revitalation of the meet is better than talking about the decline. Talk up the positives of the location and plan the social side to encourage more attendance.

I plan on Vending again next year at Denton Farms, and if asked I will help promote the event at the non AMCA events I attend, also Today is one of the last days to put a flyer into Davenport Program and reach a large number of vendors and enthusiasts (end of my three paragraphs) Shelby Withrow 940-748-2555

Comment

Shelby, I agree economics and profitability is the driving force when choosing vending venue. And with so many events and 52 weekends a year. . . . . choosing can be tough!

I searched the "southernnationalmeet.com" site hoping to find a 2016 flyer to start distributing - nothing to date. Does anyone from the coalition know when a flyer will be available? William
                              William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
                              http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X