1915 jd help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1915 jd help

Hi, I am new to this forum and new to the restoration of pre 36 harely in general I have a few bikes I am trying to restore at this time and am have a hard time finding any info or parts to do so first I have a 1915 k Mostly complete I have completely gone though the engine and replaced a few things and it looks like it's ready to run but I am missing the coil lead out towers to.come off the mag I have done some looking around and all I can find are the Bosch style but the don't look right to fit my mag? They have 2 screw holes where mine just has a spring clip
    Attached Files

Judging by the brush holder clips, you have a Berling magneto. To my knowledge, those brush holders are not available. I had a Berling on my 1920J and I didn't like it. I would bite the bullet and look for a Bosch which is the magneto H-D used in 1915. The Bosch is a much better mag but I don't know why as Berlings are beautifully made, and high quality.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Dose anyone maybe have these brushes available to take measurements/ pictures of maybe I can remake new ones or find ones that will work I hate to just ditch s working mag for no reason as far as we can tell it's original to the bike my family has owned the bike since new it was wreaked in the late teens and hhas been sitting in my grandfather's house since I still have paper work on it from the oringal purchase

Comment

I've got some NOS Berling pick-up holders if you're interested.
        e-mail me p.j.thomson@actrix.co.nz
        It also looks like you're missing the tin cover that goes over the magnet.
        I can help you with a used one of those if you're interested.
        Last edited by Tommo; 06-29-2015, 02:58 PM. Reason: e-mail address incorrect
        Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
        A.M.C.A. # 2777
        Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Some better picture of what I have
          Attached Files

Comment

Peter is your man. I'm glad you're going to save the Berling, I didn't want to discourage you, but Berlings are hard to piece together, and the Bosch has an excellent survival rate. The only reason I bad mouthed the Berling is from my experience here in humid Florida. It just seemed to be very sensitive to moisture and made my '20J hard to start. The Bosch just seems to be more reliable, and rugged.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Dose anyone know where I can get any information or documents on this bike I really have nothing for it I am missing a lot of parts and I am by no means a expert. I can make just about anything if I have to. I have a full machine shop but when you have no clue what your making you kind of get a little lost. I can't even find good detailed pictures. When I do find parts I have no way of knowing I'm finding the right ones.

Comment

I guess my biggest issue is right now I purchased a orginal front end (just the rear fork section) how do I know I have the right one? They all look very close all I could find looking around is the stem should measure 8" mine dose but it looks like a lot of years did

Comment

http://www.caimag.com/forum/forumdis...ey-Motorcycles

This should keep you busy for awhile.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Anthony- where do you live?
                    Dan Margolien
                    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
                    Www.yankeechapter.org
                    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

I like to keep things on this forum if possible and not redirect people away as I feel that doesn't help the AMCA and the survival of the forum.
                      Anthony get yourself a 1915 Parts Book and read it thoroughly as it is all you will need.
                      I've copied a couple of pages to give you some idea as to what sort of information gems it holds.
                      See how the early part numbers reflect when certain parts where introduced. A not very well known fact.
                      It's covers 1915 only models and is not one of the later multi-year ones that started later.
                      Enjoy Tommo
                      Attached Files
                      A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Thanks a lot everyone for the help I very much. I just ordered a book see what that brings me. I ordered the newer ones as well I also have a 1917 and a 1925 in pricing together

Comment

Originally posted by DanM View Post
                          Anthony- where do you live?
                          I live in northern Pennsylvania. In a small town in the middle of no where

Comment

I've put up a couple of photos of Berling mag pickups to illustrate how Berling marked their HT lead locations
                            The front cylinder had an "F" on the base of the pickup and the rear one a "R" as you see in the photo.
                            Apparently you bought these little disc's and they fitted snugly into the base of the pickup.
                            I do have a marked pair on my bike in the collection but only have a rear one as a spare so I can't show you what the front "F" looks like without taking it off the bike.
                            Just a bit of trivia that may interest some of you and I do have more NOS Berling pickups if anyone wants a set.
                            Attached Files
                            A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Eric giving link to info is a good thing.Hiding info is not.The Bosch is the only one shown in the '15 parts book-berling was later because of WW1

Comment

Working...
                              X