AMCA Membership fees to increase to $40 in July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMCA Membership fees to increase to $40 in July

I received a email from one of the 6 Chapters I belong to, stating what a good thing it was for us to get 2 extra Magazines per year for only $10 dollars a year more.

I state my position that a properly run Magazine with a captured 11,000 subscribers (Members), A very long list of vendors that run ads at premium prices per spot, is using this as a profit center for the National Board. This magazine is of high quality and has improved through all the years I have received over the years and is profitable.

We are no longer a Not For Profit in the eyes of the IRS because we take ads from non members, we make too much money, and after a 60 year history of cyclic bad financial decisions the National Board has just decided to make it harder to recruit younger or elderly members, by increasing from the captive members an increased toll.

Not everyone thought that a little increase in the British Tea tax would start a revolution and the overthrow of a government, But enough of the plain folks did just that. Remember it is the last straw that broke the camels back not the weight of a single straw.

If this National Board was the least interested in recruiting and keeping members, Why not keep the price of Membership as it was and just be happy with the money the magazine makes from those Advertisers willing to foot the expense of printing. Try being membership director and see how much push back I get from people that are not interested in the only benefit I can even say they get from being a National member and not just a chapter member. Shelby Withrow Membership / Events Director Cherokee Chapter www.cherokeeamca.org

Even if there was no magazine, I for one would still gladly pay a measly 40 bucks to be a member of the National. That's not much more than one oil change. Over the years belonging to the AMCA has allowed me to enjoy the hobby so much more than would have been possible if there was no such organization. It was about the only way a newbie could get connected to the people and businesses that are almost a necessity if you want to restore or maintain an old bike. Shelby, you certainly are entitled to your opinions and I respect that. It seems to me that you are very bitter towards the National and I can't figure out why you don't just quit and start your own club. You could give out free memberships and you would have 10,000+ members in no time and then see if you could keep them all happy. You are a member of 6 chapters and I will use a tree as an example to illustrate a point. Without a trunk, 6 branches is just a pile of sticks but if you attach those branches to a common trunk you have the makings of a solid tree. The chapters are the most important part of the AMCA but without the National to back them up I doubt that we would be as well off. Any group as large as ours will always have problems, I don't care what sort of structure you use to run it. I will agree that the National does some things that may not always make sense in the small picture but I do believe that they have the best interests of the majority in mind at all times. Respectfully, John Lindemann

Comment

Originally posted by jwl View Post
      Even if there was no magazine, I for one would still gladly pay a measly 40 bucks to be a member of the National. That's not much more than one oil change. Over the years belonging to the AMCA has allowed me to enjoy the hobby so much more than would have been possible if there was no such organization. It was about the only way a newbie could get connected to the people and businesses that are almost a necessity if you want to restore or maintain an old bike. Shelby, you certainly are entitled to your opinions and I respect that. It seems to me that you are very bitter towards the National and I can't figure out why you don't just quit and start your own club. You could give out free memberships and you would have 10,000+ members in no time and then see if you could keep them all happy. You are a member of 6 chapters and I will use a tree as an example to illustrate a point. Without a trunk, 6 branches is just a pile of sticks but if you attach those branches to a common trunk you have the makings of a solid tree. The chapters are the most important part of the AMCA but without the National to back them up I doubt that we would be as well off. Any group as large as ours will always have problems, I don't care what sort of structure you use to run it. I will agree that the National does some things that may not always make sense in the small picture but I do believe that they have the best interests of the majority in mind at all times. Respectfully, John Lindemann
      I think $40 is cheap for all the benefits that go with it. My thought is that if you cannot afford the $40 membership fee how in the heck are you gonna buy and maintain a motorcycle. Jerry

Comment

By the way, there are currently 2 board positions up for election at the Jefferson meet. It will be interesting to see who all sends in a resume. That, to me, will separate those who really care from those who just like to throw rocks.

Comment

I really do not like to get involved in political issues of the club but since I have become a member, and I can't remember exactly the date, maybe someone can date me from my AMCA number, I have enjoyed all aspects of the club. Yeah, when I had bikes judged I complained a little, maybe more than a little, but I learned ALOT. I have seen the magazine change for the better by far. It increased in size and quality. I may complain about the postal service but that isn't their fault. As someone mentioned, 40 bucks is what an oil change is if you do it yourself on any modern bike. I am a member of three relative local chapters and recently started the Bear Mountain Chapter, with the help of a few, to provide a chapter that focuses more on the social and activity aspect of the club that people were looking for. To me the 40 bucks is well spent.

With this said all large corporations, clubs etc. will have problems. Hopefully they work them out. Don't expect perfection 'cause it will never happen. If someone thinks they can do a better job, then get on the board and do it.
          Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 06-04-2015, 08:35 AM.
          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I've been a member for a long time. I rarely get to enjoy the full benefits of events and such due to my work commitments but from the beginning of my membership i have viewed it as supporting vintage motorcycling and have always felt that my membership is well worth the small amount it costs me. In fact I pay for two FULL memberships, one in my name and one in my wife's which allows me to collect a second issue of the magazine and also support the club. I don't smoke or hang out in bars so even with the income of a regular working class stiff I am more than happy to continue to support the AMCA . I just ignore the whiners....
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

SOME members don't have unlimited funds to participate in our sport. SOME of us are trying to get by on the whopping 1.7% COLA we got from social security this year. Of course it's not only this $10, everything else is up as well. Each time something costs more, SOME of us have to decide what we can afford and what we cannot afford. For some old timers this is another step towards dropping out and giving up. I don't like to think of the AMCA as being only for the rich but the attitude of some members seems to be that if you can't afford it you don't belong here.
              Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
                SOME members don't have unlimited funds to participate in our sport. SOME of us are trying to get by on the whopping 1.7% COLA we got from social security this year. Of course it's not only this $10, everything else is up as well. Each time something costs more, SOME of us have to decide what we can afford and what we cannot afford. For some old timers this is another step towards dropping out and giving up. I don't like to think of the AMCA as being only for the rich but the attitude of some members seems to be that if you can't afford it you don't belong here.
                I, for one, would certainly hate to lose any senior members over a $10 increase in dues. The older members are a valuable asset to the club and a valuable connection to the past. Maybe the board should look into senior discounts for those on Social Security. They are already talking about helping out new young members (a good idea). In the meantime, while I certainly don't have "unlimited funds", I will send $10 to the first 10 senior members that can't afford the increase. Just send me your address and proof of age. I will send you a check for $10 made out to the AMCA. You can send it along with your $30 when renewing your membership. All I ask is in return is that you share some of your wisdom and experience with the next junior member that needs some guidance. John Lindemann
                Last edited by jwl; 06-04-2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Lucky me, Folks,...

I deduct my dues as a business expense.
                  But with no Meet in my region, and little personal interest in the magazine, its come down to annoying some on this forum that makes my membership worthwhile!

.....Cotten
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Shelby, you certainly are entitled to your opinions and I respect that. It seems to me that you are very bitter towards the National and I can't figure out why you don't just quit and start your own club. You could give out free memberships and you would have 10,000+ members in no time and then see if you could keep them all happy. You are a member of 6 chapters and I will use a tree as an example to illustrate a point. Without a trunk, 6 branches is just a pile of sticks but if you attach those branches to a common trunk you have the makings of a solid tree. The chapters are the most important part of the AMCA but without the National to back them up I doubt that we would be as well off. Any group as large as ours will always have problems, I don't care what sort of structure you use to run it. I will agree that the National does some things that may not always make sense in the small picture but I do believe that they have the best interests of the majority in mind at all times. Respectfully, John Lindemann
                    Very well said John. Let me address your points with a little facts, the term Bitter is a little subjective, I am disappointed with actions on Davenport, Eustis, loss of the Not for Profit, Bylaw changes, and other items that most members do not want to think about, that I know were handled poorly and with a cloak of secrecy.

I am one of the founders of the Vintage Motorcycle Alliance that still does the Eustis Swap meet with several AMCA Members and other Vintage clubs going on the 5th year. The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club now holds their national Motorcycle Show at our Destination Eustis event and fully supports our efforts. This 5,000 member Vintage club is doing what our AMCA can not do, attracting both the serious collectors of all brands, but provides an entry level for the younger eager people. I do put my limited money and time where my mouth is but at 68 I am near the end of my active road.

After my life changing bout with Colon Cancer 3 years ago, I became involved in either starting my own AMCA Chapter with friends in North Texas or Joining forces with friends in South Texas that had a small (36 paid members) with tired Board. The decision was made to reorganize the existing Cherokee Chapter (with some naysayers) to what it is today, a social Chapter with 250 paid members in many states.

After doing a great National Road run with 185 paid riders, we set our sights on becoming the largest social Chapter in the AMCA, run by the members, and leading by example. After our successful Pate Swap meet as a regional Chapter event, we were overwhelmed by the support from those that came and checked us out. We just completed the agreement for Concourse De Pate 2016, with 400 spaces set aside for the Cherokee Chapter to control. We had ample volunteers, had pot luck cookouts every night, or catered party for members and guests with band offsite. "We are Leading By Example" at local level and are willing to let the chips fall where they may.

You analogy of the tree you neglected to mention an equally valid point, a solid trunk with healthy branches, can only exist and prosper with a healthy root system growing in all directions looking for the required nutrients that is required or the tree will die. Our latest loss of the Youth Coordinator Buck Carson is yet again a warning that all is not well, and I for one will not just stick my head in the sand or like others in the collective behinds of the National Board. ALL our members are the roots that feeds this tree, and obtaining and retaining new members is key to survival and growth.

Although still a very active member of and in supporting Chief Blackhawk M/C Davenport 44 year old Swap meet, I realize that the success of Davenport or other events is not dependent on the hard work or sweat of the National Board, but of the local members that are enjoying each others company.

I write this as respectfully as possible but I know it will be ill received by some. See www.cherokeeamca.org to verify what I say in our past newsletters and photo Gallery. If the tree dies we can always use the lumber for something else, if we do not let it rot and go to waste. Shelby

Comment

Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
                      SOME of us are trying to get by on the whopping 1.7% COLA we got from social security this year. Of course it's not only this $10, everything else is up as well.
                      I'm not trying to be dismissive, because this certainly is an important topic for the AMCA, but inflation has been pretty low the past few years. Yes, like you said, everything went up, but it went up by a pretty small amount. In fact, the Consumer Price Index for last year was 1.6% so the 1.7% COLA covered it. We could discuss whether or not there are inaccuracies in the official figures, but it's not like inflation was 10% and Social Security provided only 1.7%.

Magazines went from 4 to 6, a 33% increase in numbers but not necessarily a 33% increase in cost due to additional advertising, fixed costs spread over larger number of issues, etc. The $10 increase in dues is 25%, but I don't know how much of that increase, if any, is because of the magazine. No matter what the the reason for the 25%, it certainly is larger than the 1.6% inflation averaged over all goods and services. I'm not on the Board so I don't know the balance sheet. Presumably, those who are on the Board decided on the increase based on reasonable economic projections intended to keep the AMCA in good shape.

... Maybe the board should look into senior discounts for those on Social Security... I will send $10 to the first 10 senior members that can't afford the increase.
                      That is a very generous offer. Luckily, I'm not in a position where I need to take you up on it, but you are to be commended for your generousity. But, as for senior discounts, I suspect nearly half the membership of AMCA would qualify so it wouldn't be simple to implement and still keep the balance sheet in the black without greatly increasing the dues for members who are under 65.

I doubt if a discussion like this would take place on the Antique Ferrari and Bugatti Owners Club website. Oversimplyfying a bit, motorcycles largely have been the interest of working class people, not hedge fund managers. Because of this, many AMCA members live on modest incomes when they are working, and even more modest pensions after they retire. Unfortunately, without knowing income and age distributions there's really no way to know how for many people a $10 increase will be a sufficient enough hardship to cause them to drop out. Obviously, no one wants to pay $10 more for anything, but if additional cash from dues is justified for the health of the AMCA, should it be $10 across the board or, say, $20 for those under 65 and no increase for those older? (or some other formula). This is a place where a bit of data is worth much more than pages of speculation and anecdotal "evidence."

Comment

I agree with every post on this topic. I like the way people like Shelby, Robbie, John L., T. Cotton, Jerry Weiland express themselves, and how obviously they love the AMCA. I think this club is diverse, and healthy and it shows in these posts. 40 bucks; I'll pay that in December, and enjoy the benefits for the rest of the year.

As a side note, I have a friend and AMCA member who loves to bitch about club politics. He says; why can't the magazine be more about projects, history, or tech. My short answer to him is always; contribute. The AMCA doesn't pay for these articles, it's our members who take the time, and make the sacrifices to share what they know. You can't get any more democratic than that.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

I, for one, would certainly hate to lose any senior members over a $10 increase in dues. The older members are a valuable asset to the club and a valuable connection to the past. Maybe the board should look into senior discounts for those on Social Security. They are already talking about helping out new young members (a good idea). In the meantime, while I certainly don't have "unlimited funds", I will send $10 to the first 10 senior members that can't afford the increase. Just send me your address and proof of age. I will send you a check for $10 made out to the AMCA. You can send it along with your $30 when renewing your membership. All I ask is in return is that you share some of your wisdom and experience with the next junior member that needs some guidance. John Lindemann
                          John you are truly the kind of person this club needs in spirit and a very unselfish offer, Please allow me to point out the one problem with your post. To all reading this I apologize if it seems I am taking anything away from John stepping up to the plate, not my intent.

"They are already talking about helping out new young members" It is the all knowing THEY I see as the problem, depending on a good ole boy National Board in the past has not worked well, although with Keith there may be hope

There are 11,000 members with at least 1,000 that have life experiences and skills that could help correct problems without causing more problems that need to be corrected later. This Club is being run like the Supreme Court, where all decisions are edicts and only a select few are allowed to argue before the court. I believe a Chapters Presidents council, acting on the will and input of members, should be able to have input to the decision making process. Input from roots are important. Shelby

Comment

Originally Posted by jwl

John's offer is much appreciated and has to potential to keep 10 older guys in the club for ONE year. How do you figure how many NEW members-of all ages-were put off by the $40 start-up fee? 2? 10? 100? No way to tell is there?

I see Tom Cotton chimed in a few posts ago . . . What's he thinking? Perhaps the BoD needs a bubble test???
                            Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by shelbyinparadise View Post
                              acting on the will and input of members, ... input to the decision making process. Input from roots...
                              Shelby, can you expand on what you mean by "input"? Surely members of the Board listen to what people tell them and take it into account in making whatever decisions they make. But, you must mean something different than this(?).

Comment

Working...
                              X