Replacing throttle cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing throttle cable

i assume this isnt difficult but i havent done this on the indian. Are there any surprises or is it as easy as it looks? 1 hour tops?

Temple are you doing the inner or outer cable ? either way i would pull the outer out first than put the new other on , secondly do the inner using the outer as a guide or vise vesa ,Rob

Comment

Originally posted by hairynob24 View Post
      Temple are you doing the inner or outer cable ? either way i would pull the outer out first than put the new other on , secondly do the inner using the outer as a guide or vise vesa ,Rob
      I've managed replacing the inner with the outer still in place. Had to work the bends a little.

Comment

Inner and outer? Maybe this will be longer than an hour. My only experience was my old panhead. I only see one throttle cable for my 41 chief.

Comment

Temple , what i meant by inner and outer is the thin wire run in a protected out , you may need to only do the thin inner only , sometimes the outer will come lose at the hand grip end , its not a big job but can be a pain in the ass ,well worth doing for a nice easy flowing control ,a bit of oil or grease on the inner will help it get through ,cheers Rob

Comment

Have done it along side the road in less than an hour, I keep one in my saddle bags, just in case ever since. I have done two on rides for others with my spare. So far it has never happend to me when I have had the spare in my bags. With the tools handy in your driveway. I would say an hour or so. Don't think I can do much of anything quicker than that :-) good luck

Comment

I have been using stainless steel for the inner solid wire. Figure it would not rust and hold up better. Ordered some from McMaster Carr.

Comment

Hi,
                Here is some handlebar information that may help. Indian handlebar issues - 1 of 4.jpgIndian handlebar issues - 2 of 4.jpgIndian handlebar issues - 3 of 4.jpgIndian handlebar issues - 4 of 4.jpg

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow53Chief View Post
                    Hi,
                    Here is some handlebar information that may help. [ATTACH=CONFIG]15006[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15007[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15008[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15009[/ATTACH]
                    I know this is an old thread, but just found it and found some info I didn't know about setting the limits for the carb and spark advance, perfect timing as I'm just running and attaching the cables now.
                    Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TH47Indy View Post
                      I know this is an old thread, but just found it and found some info I didn't know about setting the limits for the carb and spark advance, perfect timing as I'm just running and attaching the cables now.
                      Thanks!
                      Thank you for this information. Appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X