Persons "Champion" Motorcycle Saddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persons "Champion" Motorcycle Saddle

I am seeking a Persons "Champion" motorcycle saddle for a circa 1910 motorcycle. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Could you post a picture of the saddle frame? I have an early frame assembly and have thought it looked similar to early H-D saddles.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Or, I could take a picture of what I have, which would probably make more sense
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

This is the seat assembly I have.

Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Eric
          I believe that's a circa 1911 Mesinger frame.
          Mark
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

I have a late Mesinger frame with the front hair spring. It differs from this frame at the rear spring assembly. The late Mesinger frame has adjustable arms for the spring assembly, where as this pictured frame has a fixed rear spring assy. The cantle is also narrower on this frame.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

This is a scanned picture of the 1905 H-D in Herbert Wagner's book. I know that seat is probably not original to that bike, but I believe the frame is the same as the one in my earlier picture.

Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Eric
                Notice that the rivets in the cartel on the seat are on the top and on yours they are on the rear. I have been told by someone who has studied these early seats a bit that the move from top to back occurred around 1910/1911. Also the width changed at about the same time where the cantel and springs got about 1" to 1-1/2" wider. Maybe yours is late 10 or early 11???
                Just parroting what I've been told during my quest to find the correct seat frame for my 1910 HD mag single.
                I'm certainly no expert on early seats.
                Mark
                Mark Masa
                www.linkcycles.com

Comment

I found this Troxel ad in a late 1910 issue of 'Motorcycle Review'. Is this the seat you need Talbot?

This is from a 1920 Meco catalog and is the other seat frame I have and will probably use on my Merkel.

Same Messinger seat; from an ad in another late 1910 magazine.

Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Great Info!

How do you post a picture embedded within the message as opposed to attachment?

Thanks,
                    William
                    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
                    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

William, I use Photobucket. You have to open an account which is free, and they don't bug you with emails.

1. You upload a picture from your files on your computer, which P.B. walks you through.
                      2. Once your picture is uploaded to your new library, you click on the picture you want and a box of 4 functions opens. You pick the bottom function, which is an IMG thing, and when you click on it, it will say 'copied'.
                      3. You come to this site, put your cursor where you want the picture, click paste, and Bob's your uncle.

I hope someone will correct me if I've left anything out.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, Thank you! That's simple. . . . and I could have had a V8!!

William
                        William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
                        http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Eric, I sent you a PM. Thank you for your reply.

Les

Comment

Working...
                          X