Chief After Market Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief After Market Tanks

Can anyone give me input as to who makes the best replacement tanks for a 1947 Chief? I looked at Kiwi, Greer and Iron Horse Coral and they are all around the same price but it's hard to tell who makes the best one based on a picture. I'd appreciate any guidance in this matter.

Thanks
    Bob
    Bob McDonnell AMCA #5480

Bob, dunno if this is true, but I heard that Iron Horse supplies the tanks for Greer and Starklite! I note you didn't mention the made-in-India tanks that show up on Ebay.
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
      Bob, dunno if this is true, but I heard that Iron Horse supplies the tanks for Greer and Starklite! I note you didn't mention the made-in-India tanks that show up on Ebay.
      Huh! Were those India-made tanks welded or soldered?
      I got some from Starklite and installed them 14 years ago, and have ridden conservatively since, maybe a couple thousand miles a year, amca road runs, chapter functions, a little more. Each tank eventually developed a leak, and had to be sealed, which probably should have been done right away. But they're better than fighting the old soldered stuff.
      More than a few fellas opined that hard-mounting will always take the toll on tanks eventually.
      Still the best $750 I spent on it.
      Best of luck to you.

Comment

On H-Ds, and Indians, I never tighten a gas tank bolt that will put tension on the tank brackets. In other words, tighten one mount, and then shim the rest. On my last Indian, I made rubber washers to cushion the mounts, but I don't know if it made any difference.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
          Huh! Were those India-made tanks welded or soldered?
          Aluminum! (I think I saw a set on there this weekend...)
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I think I'll give the folks at Iron Horse a call.
            Bob McDonnell AMCA #5480

Comment

Iron Horse is welded,always fit to frame before doing anything else and use rubber washer between tanks and frame '47-48.

Comment

Will do, thanks.
                Bob McDonnell AMCA #5480

Comment

I went with Iron Horse 5 or 6 years ago and I was impressed with the tanks. Great fit, little to do to prep for paint as they were very straight and heavy gauge metal. I was going to use them until I could re work my originals but I love the Iron Horse and no issues so my originals look great on my shelf.

Comment

I have used a set of Iron Horse tanks on a 1947 Chief since 2003. I paid extra to have them seal the inside. To this day, no problems, no rust and they fit perfectly (knock on wood).

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                      On H-Ds, and Indians, I never tighten a gas tank bolt that will put tension on the tank brackets. In other words, tighten one mount, and then shim the rest. On my last Indian, I made rubber washers to cushion the mounts, but I don't know if it made any difference.
                      I agree. That is how I have done it for over 40 years. The soldered tanks on my Chief will punish you if you do not mount them ever so carefully. If it takes an hour or so to mount the tanks without stressing them, it is time well spent. The problems I have had with the tanks occurred after I let someone else mount them.
                      George Tinkham
                      Springfield, IL
                      www.virmc.com
                      AMCA # 1494
                      1941 Indian 841
                      1948 Indian Chief
                      1956 H-D KHK
                      1960 CH
                      1964 BMW R69S
                      1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                      1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
                      X