'47 Tank Badge Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '47 Tank Badge Gasket

I got a set of tank badge gaskets for my '47 EL and they are too short. They are about 1/16" too short. They are also about 10 mils thicker than the stock gasket. New is 30 mils, original is 20 mils. The thickness affects the ability of the gasket to slip under the mount so you can get it over the front portion of the mount.

I got these from a reputable guy. Have not talked to him about it yet. But he gave them to me, he said that the back inside edge was not cut deep enough so they would have to be trimmed.

I ended up cutting my own. When I compared the one I cut to the new one, the length difference was obvious

So, is this typical for that gasket or is did I (and the vendor) just happen to get a bad batch?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Regards,
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811

I dunno Rob,

But I would like to ask All why a gasket was used at all...

To soak up gas and spoil the paint?

Just askin',

.....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I didn't install one on my '47 FL.
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Well, after 60 years of the badges never having been removed and 43K original miles ridden 12 months/year (in upstate NY winters) because it was his only vehicle after getting out of the Marines, the paint is perfect under the badges, including where the edge would come in contact with the paint because the gasket was between it and the paint. So Tom, perhaps with today's gasoline and a spastic rider pouring gas all over the tank when he fills it, it could very well soak up gasoline and damage the paint. But since I only ride on nice hot sunny days, the residence time for the gas on the tank or the gasket should I have an episode of total dufus-ism, would be relatively short due to evaporation. If I can get another 60 years out of these gaskets and original paint, I'll be 123 years old and quite satisfied.

Bill, I thought about not using the gasket. But owning Brit bikes with the chrome trim strip down the weld seam on the gas tanks, I've watched that sharp edge saw thru the paint in no time at all. My guess is probably a matter of hours riding time. So, that and my findings when I removed the badges from the EL told me that a gasket is a good idea.

When Harley went to flat surfaces cast badges, my guess was there was much less of a chance for the emblem to saw into the paint. So, they were not used.

I ended up cutting my own gaskets from a Priority mail cardboard envelope. It's about 15 mils thick. If I can find tan gasket paper that is 20 mils, I'll cut new gaskets when I have a moment of boredom.

One thing I will say is that the emblems are not identical in size. The gasket needs to be oversize to start on the outside edge. Once the gasket is fit to the mount, you put the emblem on and scribe the outside edge and then cut the outside final shape. The one I made for the right tank would not work with the badge on the left tank. Not a lot of difference, but given now little should show, it does not take much for it to be off if the badges are not identical.

regards,
        Rob

regard,
        Rob
        Regards,
        Rob Sigond
        AMCA # 1811

Comment

Rob!

I didn't have to be spastic with a set of modern caps.

By all means, stay as true to History as you can!

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Are you saying that modern caps are leakers, or the originals? I've got the originals, albeit a bit dented. The tanks were taken off the bike back in the 60's and my guess is they were dropped or fell off the shelf a few times. Fortunately it looks like they always managed to land on the caps.

I've struggled with weeping caps on my Triumphs and figured it was caused by the vent arrangement. Made a very rudimentary mod that fixed the problem. Unfortunately, cannot apply it to the HD design.

regards,
            Rob
            Regards,
            Rob Sigond
            AMCA # 1811

Comment

I would say this is typical to all the repop gaskets.....I too ordered a few sets hoping to get ones the correct length....also tried to make a set.....I just ended up not installing them like the others have said because I just couldn't see the purpose of them.

Originally posted by Snakeoil View Post
              I got a set of tank badge gaskets for my '47 EL and they are too short. They are about 1/16" too short. They are also about 10 mils thicker than the stock gasket. New is 30 mils, original is 20 mils. The thickness affects the ability of the gasket to slip under the mount so you can get it over the front portion of the mount.

I got these from a reputable guy. Have not talked to him about it yet. But he gave them to me, he said that the back inside edge was not cut deep enough so they would have to be trimmed.

I ended up cutting my own. When I compared the one I cut to the new one, the length difference was obvious

So, is this typical for that gasket or is did I (and the vendor) just happen to get a bad batch?

Thanks,
              Rob
              AMCA 26656

47EL
              47WL

Comment

Working...
              X