help with title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with title

well I"m back another fine mess I got my self in..built my custom pan sold it,no prob,w/title well waited to late on my "Knuck" now what can I do to get a title ,,n.c wounts to much my head spins..what a mess...I can't ride around with my tag from my shovel..any Ideas would be nice an "no im not selling " is there anybody out there.I can get a clean title with out stamping out my good numbers ,custom title.instead of 1946 the state will make it a 2015 custom oh dont forget the bond I'll have to pay some high amount it will take 2 more years to save an pick up empty beer can from the freeway....any help out there,,thanks the Colonel...

Vermont does not issue titles for vehicles older than 10 years. So, you'll get a registration. My understanding is each state much honor the rules and regs of the other states when it comes to transferring vehicles. So, SC should give you a title or at least a registration if you have a reg from VT.

Maine, I believe will give you a title for your bike if you register it up there. I don't think you have to be a resident because folks register trailers in ME all the time because they do not require an inspection.

If you go to NY, you can get a registration there as well. You need a rubbing of the number and sign a statement that says you've owned it for a certain number of years. They registration is not transferable until they run the numbers to make sure it is not stolen. Once that happens, you get a transferable registration in the mail. That, like a VT reg, should meet the requirements of SC.

regards,
    Rob
    Regards,
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811

Comment

I don't think you're getting the straight scoop from your DMV. I'd go in person to another DMV office and have a chat. I got crossways with a TX DMV clerk 3 years ago and she did her best to make it difficult for me. Another agent found no problems at all.
      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

I've heard North Carolina is pretty crazy in this area. I sold a custom pan about three years ago to someone in NC, they ran into the same problems the Colonel is having. Probably not straightened out yet.

Comment

im still looking wow,thanks for the advice the Colonel...

Comment

I too heard that NC is a bad state to have a vehicle that does not have a title. Story I got was a guy moved there and he took his registrations down to NC DMV and filled out all the paperwork. Shortly thereafter, two NC State Police showed up and impounded the untitled bike and said they would hold it until the title was issued. I don't remember how it ended. Also don't know how accurate the story is. But it told me that if I move to another state, I'll find out what is required and my bikes will not leave NY until I have the proper legal paperwork in hand from the new state.

There are companies that will get a title for your bike for a fee. I understand that Maine and NH are two of the states that they use. My friend lives in NH and said that if you put an outboard on a bathtub, they'll give you a title for it. I love that line.

regards,
            Rob
            Regards,
            Rob Sigond
            AMCA # 1811

Comment

An easy way to get atitle is to do a lien sale. Contact your local towing company and ask who does their lien sales for them.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by rdillon View Post
                I've heard North Carolina is pretty crazy in this area. I sold a custom pan about three years ago to someone in NC, they ran into the same problems the Colonel is having. Probably not straightened out yet.
                I sold this bike with a clean and clear title for a 1951 Harley Davidson. I am in VA. He went to NC dmv with the title to get it registered, and they wanted to see the motorcycle. It was in a Paucho frame. They would not title it for him as a 1951 because of the custom frame and look. They told him title with the frame, or put it in a 1951 frame and bring back stock to title as a 1951 Harley. I had owned the bike about 18 years titled as a 1951 Harley. Just wanted to clarify. NC is nuts.

Comment

I have done numerous bikes in N.Y. You must show you paid the tax on it or pay it to them, must be insured, picture of the numbers and signed affidavit. I always went through the Special Plate Division as I run YOM plates. They are actually very nice and helpful. In the end it runs about 500-1000 after tax, ins, etc.
                  D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

National law as of Jan 1st 2008-Any vehicle sold with non original frame has to be retitled as special construction[will not say HD on title] and must meet new vehicle criteria..you can own one that has aftermarket frame titled as original,you can't sell it that way[legally]I have warned of this in the past and everybody said I was wrong

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                      National law as of Jan 1st 2008-Any vehicle sold with non original frame has to be retitled as special construction[will not say HD on title] and must meet new vehicle criteria..you can own one that has aftermarket frame titled as original,you can't sell it that way[legally]I have warned of this in the past and everybody said I was wrong
                      Duffey, You have been proven right. The proof is right here in front of us all. Thanks

Comment

That's an interesting tidbit of info. I imagine the law can be looked up on line. But I'll ask here. I assume the description "non original frame" means an aftermarket frame and not an OEM frame that was not original to the engine. So, engines and frames can still be swapped and titled at an OEM brand as long as the frame is OEM.

I remember years ago looking at an early Superglide a kid had for sale on his lawn. Price was dirt cheap and I suspected the engine was a ticking bomb or something similar. Then he mumbles that the bike is registered as a Kawasaki. I looked and sure enough, somebody had grafted a Kawi steering head onto the HD frame. I thanked him for his time and left.

regards,
                        Rob
                        Regards,
                        Rob Sigond
                        AMCA # 1811

Comment

i'm guessing,if the frame has vin,you better have the info that says you own it,and it would have to be titled and registerd that way.-and yes you should be able to have a '52 Panhead in a '49 frame,it should pass...Cutting the neck off OEM and welding to aftermarket or wrong year OEM frame does not.If I am building a questionable bike for customer I check with the DMV first
                          -PS I am not a lawyer and don't work for DMV,I am just trying to save you all from unwanted trouble
                          If you sold a bike that has original title and aftermarket frame after jan,1,2008,you are liable to buy it back and retitle as special construction before selling or you can be charged with a crime..bikes with aftermarket frames will be worth less than OEM frame bikes[my guess again]
                          Last edited by duffeycycles; 03-23-2015, 10:19 AM.

Comment

a lot of this was pushed by the major motorcycle manufactures. they got real tired of every backyard wrench selling bikes. buy an ss motor a v twin frame some wheels and tins. title the bike with old beat pan #'s. sell it and build another. manufactures spend millions on safety tests labor and insurance. the backyard builder was eating away at their profits. most likely brought on by reality tv.
                            rob ronky #10507
                            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

It was started in Cali,when '32 Ford guys argued who's crap is worth more .The restored originals sold for 1/3 the price of custom stuff sold as '32 with '32 VIN tags

Comment

Working...
                              X