X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 XLR history

Hi.
    I have a question on old race bikes.
    Is it possible to trace the race history, and previous owners, of a particular race bike (1960 XLR) by citing the engine number…..perhaps to the sanctioning bodies of the time?
    I’m guessing that I would have to approach a few different sanctioning bodies as these bikes and engines were used in different styles of racing during the late 50,s and 60,s.
    My engine is 60XLR 2050 (line bore number is 25) and I would like to know if this bullet had any significant race history.

The more I get into the intricacies of these XLR’s, the more I am enjoying the dedication of HD’s Race department.
    They went to great lengths to divest these bikes of grams and ounces, on just about every part of the bike.
    Couple the low weight of the roller, with the impressive horsepower, and response of these 900cc engines, and you have a very un-nerving bike.

On a side note…I’m looking for an alloy rear fender for this bike and will settle for a fender with cracks, modified, or even extra holes.
    In fact, I will accept a hole that used to be in an original fender, and I’ll build the fender around it.
    Yep!! I’m having trouble finding one of these fenders!!

Also looking for an un-modified cam cover and sprocket cover. A lot of racers trimmed the bottom off the cam cover to reduce a little more weight from the bike. Just about every part on these bikes has an “R” cast onto the end of the part number, denoting it as a race part.
    I will eventually post progress pictures in the “Members Projects” when I get the last few missing pieces for this bike.
    Any advice or information will be greatly accepted.
    Regards Steve
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Hi Steve,
    Not a great chance of tracking the bike. Most XLRs were used by riders in TT (American TT was a dirt race with at least one right turn and a jump), desert racing, drag racing and outlaw events (not sanctioned). At that time the AMA which was the governing body was still using the 500cc OHV / 750 SV rule, so XLRs did not qualify for Class"C" events. There were displacement classes that allowed them to compete in TT, hillclimb, etc, but unless the organizer published a rider list with engine numbers there would be no record.

Read through this thread, maybe you'll get lucky!
    http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...t=race+numbers
    Robbie
    Last edited by Rubone; 03-05-2015, 01:09 AM.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

1960 Peoria Program had numbers-not yours-80inch class
      other programs may have it-the AMA does not share-they may have it in files if preregistered to an event they sanctioned

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/...numbers165.jpg
      Last edited by duffeycycles; 03-05-2015, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Here is the forerunner 1955 KHRMTT-sold 1954-'58-very few made 77? 900cc
        note original canvas covered shocks- wrong gas tank
        this was at Cordova Illinois dragway 1957
        Everett Schilling 1957 Cordova on '55KHRMTT.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the link Robbie.
          It was exciting when I got to the page that had the XLR,s listed....like checking Lotto numbers. No winner for me.

Marvelous bit of info Duffy. Thanks for sharing. I will also pass the link onto a freind out here. He has a few xlr krtt and wr's.
          Steve Little
          Australia.
          AMCA member 1950

Comment

1960 xlr

photo-24 copy.jpgphoto-27 copy.jpg

Hey Steve---Heres an alloy fender and struts! Sadly, my motor # isn't listed as well.. These were raced hard and used and abused!! Good luck with yours, and I'll keep me eyes open for you!!

Comment

Hi Brian.
              Very kind of you to offer your fender. No need to remover your alloy struts as I have those.
              I looked for your engine as well. I think yours is 25 numbers earlier than mine.
              Regards Steve
              Steve Little
              Australia.
              AMCA member 1950

Comment

Hey Steve--u coming over the pond for Oley? If so, I might have my XLR there--fyi!! I'll let u make a little noise with it!! Keep plugg'n away--And say howdy to Dugal 4 me!! BPK!!

Comment

Hi Brian.
                  Thanks for the invite.
                  Oley is on my "To do" list, but 36 hours of long haul flying last month has me puffed out with international travel for bit.
                  I was in the States two weeks ago for a trip that combined two of my favorite activities.
                  I picked up a motorcycle and shipped it home, and then went skiing in Colorado for a week.
                  When I think about it, both activities involve wind rushing past me, a certain amount of risk to quicken the pulse, and they both cost me a lot of money.
                  I will pass your regards to Dugal.
                  Steve Little
                  Australia.
                  AMCA member 1950

Comment

Hi.
                    Anyone know where I can get krtt-xlr rod rollers, cages, crank pin and nuts?
                    Steve Little
                    Australia.
                    AMCA member 1950

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                      Here is the forerunner 1955 KHRMTT-sold 1954-'58-very few made [ATTACH=CONFIG]14728[/ATTACH]

I have seen several KHRM's Bur never a KHRMTT.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I have seen several KHRM's Bur never a KHRMTT.
                        True that! KR KRTT, KRM, KHR KHRM, but the M and TT don't go together...
                        TT is Roadrace, M is off road...
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I thought the same when Everett told me that.Was wondering if anybody knew
                          I had told him I heard of KHRM not TT
                          Here is another ,later pic with Jim Green new owner,new paint-inside Wilson's HD
                          They used it at Drags
                          I had most of a KHR motor-sold to Dale
                          Race numbers823.jpg
                          Last edited by duffeycycles; 03-10-2015, 08:35 AM.

Comment

looking at "the data book"1954-'55 was KHRM and '55 had some KHRTT as well
                            '56 & '57 was KHRTT
                            did they have all those letters on the motor?

Comment

I believe they have the "M", but not the "TT".
                              VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                              X