All the young-uns are working Fridays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All the young-uns are working Fridays

It's been talked about before, probably, but .......
    So many of my friends, young and old, are unable to get free of work on Fridays. So the Fremont meet happens like most other meets, with Friday being the "big day", and the meet is vacated by Saturday noon. This works just fine for me as I am semi-retired and quite independent, as are a good number of my peers. But for the regular-jobbers who can't get Friday off, or wouldn't give up a day's work's pay because the rat race really is that tough on them, they are skunked, because Saturday morning's rewards simply aren't worth the trip. The accessibility of our feature attraction is limited to those who exercise considerably more privilege than the average young working man, and perhaps many more who might otherwise be AMCA members if the calendar weren't so short.
    As I said, no problems here, except that my sons-in-law can't make it. In fact, I know darned few young prospects, the kind we'd like to make regular members of, who could have taken Friday off for a motorcycle event. That's what the weekends are for.
    I won't be asking for a change in scheduling. But I would like for us all to acknowledge whether our scheduling preferences are more important to us than recruitment and retention. .... I think they are. This is an old man's club (and I finally am one), and that's just tough, huh?
    ... thinking of deleting this whole message because I can hear the responses already, but I have to let it stand if I give a dam.

Phil, You have a valid point. I feel for the younger and fulltime employed but I guess that's just the way it goes. Heck, all of the other meets seem to have the big day on Thursday, even if it doesn't start til Friday. I think we all went through this as we broke in. I guess if they can't afford to take the day off they probably couldn't afford today's parts prices anyway. Like Carl Olsen has always said " Hell, if they won't give you the day off just quit, if you are worth a **** they will hire you back". John Lindemann

Comment

life is not fair. These young guys will beat you to a part any day in social media. it's really a retired person's hobby or a full time job. there are a lot of other factors to think of. if you can get the time off do you have to money to travel? A day off and a weekend of travel can be $500+. the price of fun seems to climb ever year. quit a job today and see how many guys are in line for your place. one of them will be cheaper and better.
      rob ronky #10507
      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by jwl View Post
        Phil, You have a valid point. I feel for the younger and fulltime employed but I guess that's just the way it goes. Heck, all of the other meets seem to have the big day on Thursday, even if it doesn't start til Friday. I think we all went through this as we broke in. I guess if they can't afford to take the day off they probably couldn't afford today's parts prices anyway. Like Carl Olsen has always said " Hell, if they won't give you the day off just quit, if you are worth a **** they will hire you back". John Lindemann
        In our short future I can join Carl in that sentiment, but it dims quickly when I recognize the faces that had to work or lose even the slimmest of long-earned retirement packages, and of course, a health insurance package is at serious risk too. If we are independently stable and carry our own policies separate from work, fine. But then too we have to recognize that we are catering to a narrower niche group.
        It's our party for now, and it's still fun. But who's gonna buy the booze next year?

Comment

I joined the AMCA in the mid 70s, and I never missed a Florida meet regardless of what day it was. If I had to work overtime to compensate for a day off, I was glad to do it. Most employers will work with someone if they are sincere. Like any pursuit in life; if you're committed to it, you'll figure something out.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
            I joined the AMCA in the mid 70s, and I never missed a Florida meet regardless of what day it was. If I had to work overtime to compensate for a day off, I was glad to do it. Most employers will work with someone if they are sincere. Like any pursuit in life; if you're committed to it, you'll figure something out.
            From my viewpoint (south dakota) that's really exceptional, Eric, and I envy you. I became a member and built my Chief 17 years after I bought it. "Just makin' it"
            to that level required 6-day work-week dedication. My family would have been seriously short-changed if I'd chased my passion like that for 17 years.
            Stealing a Saturday for recreation, that's legal. Friday? well, can't say there aren't a lot of kids with the "silver-spoon" mentality, but aren't they usually boating or ski-ing?

Comment

All in priorities one sets for themselves young or old. If someone really wants to go to a swap meet on a weekday they will figure out how to get a day or two off. If their job situation is such that they can't schedule a Friday off or if they call-off they will get fired, they'll just have to wait until they put in enough time or get another job.

Car swap meets are similar such as spring an fall Carlisle PA and its been that way forever. Though its still goes on Sat and Sun, if you want the best chance to find good stuff, one must to go Thurs or Friday.
              Jason Zerbini
              Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
              Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

I've always been confused, when folks say the "good stuff" always sells on Thursday/Friday.. What exactly is the good stuff? Were not all building the same thing, or collecting the same items-are we? And, I see many venders do not even set up on Thursdays/Fridays, as they want to either shop, or wait and get top $ later in the event. I'm thinking, we make a lot of this **** up in our heads? Hmmmm-do we?

Comment

All of the points above are true and to add to the conversation a lot of stuff (good or bad) are sold between vendors before the public is allowed in. So the vendors end up hoarding the most desirable parts. No chance for the guy just trying to start or finish his pride and joy. Should someone who wants or needs some of those parts add to the cost by simply buying a vendors spot just to get them??? Pretty steep price in my book and timing is everything. Did you beat the other folks who are or might be looking for it. Yeah it sucks when you see a guy walking by with that rare part and he tells you he bought it for a buck but keep looking. Parts come up for sale all the time.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                  AMCA #12766

Comment

I very much agree with fillibuster, in the ensuring conversation there was little rebuttal regarding how we can get more young (still working 9-5) folks involved with old bikes. An attitude of what 'works best for us' smacks of 'my way or the highway attitude. I hate to say this but i do smell a bit of elitism ("my old Harley/Indian is way cool,,your less old Honda/BMW/Triumph is inferior), a minority yes but still is still a part of this club. Part of this means if you can't afford a '36 Knuckle and spend $1k to attend a Road Run mid week then just aren't trying hard enough to fit in. Kind of like the country club, the high price of entry keeps the riff raff out.
                    I have met and been helped by many great folks in this club who in no way resemble my above remarks,,,,,but is this a mistaken impression?

Comment

As soon as someone figures out a way to add 2 more days to the week this problem will be easier to solve. If the meet were Saturday and Sunday there would be complaints about no time for travel for those that need to be back to work Monday. This has all been hashed over before. Judging at some meets was changed to Saturday for this same reason. I don't care what your hobby is, as long as you are employed work always has a way of interfering with play. Not trying to downplay the OP's point but these are just the facts of life, whether you own 2 1936 knuckles or a worn out Honda.

Comment

Fremont is a ghost town by noon on Saturday, but then, so is Davenport. If a person can't afford to take off an occasional Friday, they probably can't afford to buy anything anyway.
                        Getting back to work on Monday is important to me, so I'm fine with the current set up of these two meets. Incidentally, I did notice a few younger guys at Fremont this year. I think you need to get into your late 30s or so before you become interested in restoring old bikes.
                        VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                        X