Thor single engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thor single engine

Can anyone tell me the year of this engine? It has #K. 381 stamped on the engine badge. Thanks Tom[
    Attached Files

Howdy. Go back to a thread in early 2014 on 1908 thor in this section. There is a lot of good discussion there. All I can say is....here we go again.
    Ross

Comment

Too funny Ross..... I was just thinking the same thing!

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...highlight=Thor
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Here is what I found about my motor. As best I can tell it comes from a 1911 Model R. It matches the engine in the 1911 catalog. Also when we enlarged the catalog picture the motor badge has #K 395K. The Model M which is the same bike except for magneto ign. and a larger fuel tank. The Model M motor shows motor badge #K1559. And in referring to the 1962 winter issue of AM, there is a letter from G. H. DuSell in 1961, who probably was the last sole surviving employee at Thor Power Tool Co. who was employed at the time of motorcycle manufacturing. And he says that when Standard Salvage Co. took over in 1916 nothing was saved of the motorcycles or literature. So I guess there won't be hard facts to date early Thors, all we can do it match up what we do have the best we can.
        Attached Files

Comment

I noticed some of the Cole bikes have serial #'s listed as does this 1911 Thor. K 1841 http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...d/1714154.html

Comment

I am curious. Does your engine number match the numbers on the carburetor?
            Ross

Comment

Unfortunately there is no carburetor with the motor I have. And I would venture to say the Cole bike is a Model M, as it has magneto ign. It would seem that the Thor prefix K in the serial# has a strong association with 1911. Anyone else have a K motor or bike out there?

Thanks Tom

Comment

Something else I just realized is K is the 11th letter of the alphabet. Just throwin it out there.

Comment

Some have letters and some have numbers. Wish I was back at Davenport in 77, would have asked more questions of Doc P and others at the time. At least Rich Sch. is is still around for Q and A but we aren't talkin Hendersons on this thread. OK Cory I give up.
                  Ross

Comment

Working...
                  X