Babe Ruth, John Goodman, Indian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babe Ruth, John Goodman, Indian

Leaving the NFL channel for Sports Center last night I happened across the Babe Ruth movie, Ruth mentioning "want a motorcycle", and I watched it for a few minutes. Soon he was riding what appeared to be an Indian, maybe 1910-12? The bike was not shown after that brief bit of Ruth (Goodman) riding it.
    Can anybody out there "just show me the motorcycle"?
    and could anyone really verify whether the motorcycle was really a part of the Babe's history? or a Hollywood concoction?

I believe that was a 1918 Indian PowerPlus that belonged to our past president Bob McClean. I'm pretty sure about the year of the Indian because I remember that it was a smooth tank PP. I don't know if Babe Ruth was a motorcyclist, but if he wasn't there were many celebrities that were.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I did some googling and discovered that Babe Ruth bought an Indian with his first baseball paycheck. I believe this was in 1914 and he paid $50 for it so it probably wasn't new and it could have been a '10-'12 Indian. However, in the movie, that is Bob McCleans Indian they used.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        I did some googling and discovered that Babe Ruth bought an Indian with his first baseball paycheck. I believe this was in 1914 and he paid $50 for it so it probably wasn't new and it could have been a '10-'12 Indian. However, in the movie, that is Bob McCleans Indian they used.
        Thanks Eric.
        That's pretty special, kinda makes my day. .. except for my not-so-quick eye. I knew Ruth started playing pro around 1914, but I didn't see a swing-arm. $50, huh.
        Now I gotta go to the new web site and see if the bike's in there.

Comment

Hey! I googled "Babe Ruth on a motorcycle"' then selected "images" from the top, and voila....there he is....but it's a later Indian than a 1914.
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Phil... start slowing things down at 1:03.

Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

I googled it too and found something saying he paid $115 for the Indian
              1914 P&M
              1915 Indian (project)
              1930 M50 Panther
              1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

Originally posted by panthersteve View Post
                I googled it too and found something saying he paid $115 for the Indian
                It's hard to say with the ol' google machine. It's my understanding that at the start of the regular season of 1914 that his first paycheck went to purchasing a 50 dollar motorcycle. One might have to find a period article in a newspaper to see what they were saying in the day.
                Last edited by c.o.; 02-03-2015, 11:29 PM. Reason: sentence rearranging....
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

A couple of links to the Babe Ruth and Indian motorcycle story. It seems that about the first thing that Ruth bought himself when he became a professional ball player was an Indian motorcycle. But exactly when was that in 1914?
                  After signing he went to the Providence team in the International league and pitched a game in Toronto (Canada) in which he allowed the Toronto team only one hit, hit his first professional league home run (a three run homer). Providence won 9-0. The rest, as they say, is history.

AFJ

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...n-camden-yards

http://torontoplaques.com/Pages/Babe...ans_Point.html

Comment

Working...
                  X