1914 Minneapolis In Action!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1914 Minneapolis In Action!

I recall seeing this machine in an old issue of Classic Cycle Review. I can't recollect if the video has been posted here before but if it has.... my mistake. What a great motorsickle!

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

What a coincidence. I was fortunate to be able to visit at Ky's home over the weekend. I was hoping to see some of his Michaelson motorcycle collection, but none were available. No disappointments however, as many of his magnificent rocket powered creations were on display. I was particularly interested in his one man flying machine. I was told it will only stay aloft for 30 seconds before using up it's fuel, but a thrilling half a minute it would be. Another machine that caught my eye, (well, they all did) was his beautiful Michaelson motor powered Bonneville Streamliner.
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

C.O.
      The “1914” Minneapolis title has the wrong year. It is a 1912 Minneapolis with Spacke twin motor (not a Michaelson motor). It had a swing arm rear suspension which I understand was only offered in 1912. It has been on many pre-16 tours and is a great runner. I think Minneapolis’s last year of production was 1913.
      Spacke2speed

Comment

Originally posted by koanes View Post
        What a coincidence. I was fortunate to be able to visit at Ky's home over the weekend. I was hoping to see some of his Michaelson motorcycle collection, but none were available. No disappointments however, as many of his magnificent rocket powered creations were on display. I was particularly interested in his one man flying machine. I was told it will only stay aloft for 30 seconds before using up it's fuel, but a thrilling half a minute it would be. Another machine that caught my eye, (well, they all did) was his beautiful Michaelson motor powered Bonneville Streamliner.
        Sounds like quite the weekend Kyle! I'm gonna have to see if I can find a photo of this streamliner you speak of!

Originally posted by Spacke2speed View Post
        C.O.
        The “1914” Minneapolis title has the wrong year. It is a 1912 Minneapolis with Spacke twin motor (not a Michaelson motor). It had a swing arm rear suspension which I understand was only offered in 1912. It has been on many pre-16 tours and is a great runner. I think Minneapolis’s last year of production was 1913.
        Spacke2speed
        You sir are correct! Nice catch! I just went ahead and posted the YouTube title year without giving it much thought. Yes, 1912 equals rear suspension. I do think they may have made the machines as late as 1914 though.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Awesome Cory, thanks

Comment

http://www.the-rocketman.com/michaelson_cycle.html I couldn't find any pictures of the partial streamliner on the the Rocketmans site.
            Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

The last year of production for the "Minneapolis Motorcycle Company" was 1913. In the September 20, 1913, "Motorcycling" magazine there is four page article titled "Tricar Leads the Minneapolis 1914 Line" that includes information and photos. However, an article in the January 5, 1914, "Motorcycling" magazine notes that the company had closed their doors as the business had been sold to Wilcox Motor Company. The three Michaelson brothers, Joseph, Walter, and John, had left their "Minneapolis Motorcycle Company" by the end of 1912. Joseph and Walter became involved in the short lived "Michaelson Motorcycle Company" also of Minneapolis, MN. The "Michaelson Motorcycle Company" was only in business through 1914 with Joseph and Walter Michaelson only involved in the business for the first year of it's operation.
              Last edited by talbot-2; 02-05-2015, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I've always thought the Minneapolis/Michaelson motorcycles were some of the best looking bikes of their time. I don't think I've ever seen one in person but they look like they were beautifully designed, built, and finished. It must have been heartbreaking for the Michaelson brothers to put heart and soul into something and see it fail, particularly when it was something good. I would assume the failure was due to poor marketing which had to be quite a challenge in those days. However, you look at H-D and their early ads were few, and lackluster. H-D did make an excellent product, but there were other very well designed motorcycles at that time that didn't make it. I guess luck was the most important factor.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                  I do think they may have made the machines as late as 1914 though.
                  After reading Talbot-2's post I decided to hunt down the copy of the Minneapolis brochure I thought I had. Turns out it was Michaelson! Dang it! I'm getting rusty!

Originally posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
                  Awesome Cory, thanks
                  Tom, I bet you may be one of the few on this forum that may have seen this bike in person?
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

C.O.
                    I cheated when I dating that Minneapolis, I will admit that I know a little bit about that Minneapolis is because I know the owner of that 1912 Minneapolis. Years ago, when I bought my 1913 Minneapolis Model S2, it had been misidentified since before 1955. I was 99.99% sure what it was a 1913 Minneapolis, so I compared it to his 1912 Minneapolis for similarity, which confirmed 100% that mine was a Minneapolis. I have since got literature for my 1913 Minneapolis (not easy). My 1913 Minneapolis is powered by a special Spacke motor which incorporates a 2 speed into the motor cases which Spacke offered in 1913. I have ridden it on some of the Pre-16 motorcycle tours.
                    There is only three of these 1913 Model S2 know at this time. One of them, what appears to be an original 1913 Minneapolis Model S2 is for sale at the E.J.Cole auction 20-21 March. At the auction web site, they have a group of pictures of each motorcycle for sale.
                    Spacke2speed

Comment

Great video. Thanks for posting that Cory. That's what it's all about right there.

Kevin

Kevin
                      https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Originally posted by Spacke2speed View Post
                        C.O.
                        I cheated when I dating that Minneapolis, I will admit that I know a little bit about that Minneapolis is because I know the owner of that 1912 Minneapolis. Years ago, when I bought my 1913 Minneapolis Model S2, it had been misidentified since before 1955. I was 99.99% sure what it was a 1913 Minneapolis, so I compared it to his 1912 Minneapolis for similarity, which confirmed 100% that mine was a Minneapolis. I have since got literature for my 1913 Minneapolis (not easy). My 1913 Minneapolis is powered by a special Spacke motor which incorporates a 2 speed into the motor cases which Spacke offered in 1913. I have ridden it on some of the Pre-16 motorcycle tours.
                        There is only three of these 1913 Model S2 know at this time. One of them, what appears to be an original 1913 Minneapolis Model S2 is for sale at the E.J.Cole auction 20-21 March. At the auction web site, they have a group of pictures of each motorcycle for sale.
                        Spacke2speed
                        Well isn't that something....It would be interesting to hear and possibly see a little more about this Minneapolis of yours.

Thanks for mentioning the auction there are some pretty awesome photos on there! What a collection.... https://www.mecum.com/featured-lots....ype=motorcycle

Originally posted by Shaky Jake View Post
                        That's what it's all about right there.

Kevin

100% agree!!!!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

The Facebook page titled "Made in Minnesota by Sean O'Neil" has photos of my 1910 Minneapolis taken at the Viking Chapter Meet in 2010 or 2011. The page also includes photos and information about other Minnesota made motorcycles.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/walne...10751325648976

Comment

C.O. asked above to hear a little more about my 1913 Minneapolis Model S2. Not sure what type of information he is looking for, so here is a wild shot at it.
                            Part 1 “History”:
                            Mine is one of three that I have been able to locate. The other two are the one that Cole’s has, that is being auction off, and one in the Harold Warp Pioneer Village Museum in Minden, Nebraska.
                            It is my understanding that my Minneapolis was found in Redmond, Washington in the late 40’s or early 50’s. It was given a quick simple “clean the rust off and paint it red” restoration. I have seen a picture of it which was dated 1955 when it as a part of a large early motorcycle collection in Washington. At the time, they did not know what it was, so it was called a Redman, I guess based after where it was found
                            Some years ago, it showed up in an article in the AMCA magazine about a small motorcycle collection in Washington where it had found a new home in, but it was still misidentified as a Redman. When he sold off some of his motorcycle many years ago, I bought it, knowing what it was (Minneapolis) and wanting something different than the standard Harley, Indian, Excelsior pre-16 rides.
                            While it was running when I got it, after some initial prep work, I have taken it on many various pre-16 motorcycle tours. Right now, the Minneapolis has been disassembled to correct area that were not correct, and to make it safer while on the pre-16 motorcycle tours. When it was original found, it appear to have been left outside, unprotected from the elements and nature for a long time which resulted in some parts being rusted very heavily. Back after it as found, they had, after a quick clean up, just painted over everything with red paint, including the thick build up of road dirt on the underside of the fenders. Note: the 1913 Minneapolis literature states a Dark Blue color, but after I cleaned off the old road dirt, I found 1912 Minneapolis Green?
                            I am in the process of fixing/replacing most of the heavy rusted areas. Only problem is I am working on this project along with all my other projects.
                            The main reason for the “parking” of my Minneapolis was motor related. The motor developed a vibration while I was on a pre-16 tour, which caused the gas tank to split apart (slowed my down), the fuel line broke (stopped me), and also destroyed a Warner Speedometer (I cried).
                            Welllll, so much for history.
                            Part 2 “General Information” will follow soon.

Comment

I'm like everyone else here; I love to read about the history of a motorcycle as that can be just as interesting as the history of the company that created it. Keep it coming Spacke2speed.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X