Information about factory rider Don Hawley wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information about factory rider Don Hawley wanted

I picked up a 1957 Harley KR flat tracker a few years back that was ridden by a HD factory sponsored rider by the name of Don Hawley. I have found a lot of info. about him on the net but I have not found a picture of him on this bike. The bike was purchased in the 90's in southern California from his family. The bike was dismantled when purchased and still has all the race dirt and patina from many years ago. I plan to rebuild everything internally but leave the "patina" externally. I would love to find a copy of an original photo of him on the bike and any info. about him and, or the bike. I would like to put it back to exactly like it was the last time it was raced right down the placement of the number plates, pegs and everything else. Any help that you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Dave

Sounds like a cool project you have there Dave. Curious to know what number it ran just in case I trip across anything.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Hi Cory, Long time no see. From what I have been able to find out on the net, He ran numbers 6 and 88. (he may have had others) I am interested in finding a picture of him on a KR flat tracker, circa 1957 to early 60's. This bike is absolutely awesome and I want to put it back to it's original splendor and glory. I hope someone out there can help out. Thank you, Dave

Comment

Hey Dave, this really sounds like a dandy. I like the approach you are taking. Will keep my eyes out for those numbers. Thought I had a sure bet with a 6 on a left hand pic but it was a newer bike.... I wonder if there have ever been any articles on Don in the club magazine?
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Here is a photo I found of Don Hawley from July 1955 American Motorcyclist. Not sure he is on a KR. His number is #57. Hope this helps.

Dick
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dick, Thank you for the picture. Unfortunately, it's so dark that I can't make out much. It kind of looks like it may have a front brake in the photo? The bike I have has a spool hub. Thanks again for looking, Dave

Comment

This is going to be an interesting one to figure out Dave. I did some digging and it looks like Mr. Hawley was a bit of a bike hopper. Photos on a BSA Goldstar in '57. What appears to be an Indian SS in '58. I see he rode Triumphs as well. It does appear that he was a Harley guy in 1959 though with wins in Sacramento and Ascot. I also read of a barber shop in Costa Mesa with a race poster of the barber's grandfather (Don Hawley) on the wall. Unfortunately for this thread it was a Triumph. Also of note, it appears that different letters sometimes followed the 88 number plate. A very interesting puzzle indeed. This is all stuff you probably knew already???
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Don Hawley is shown riding '59 KR2054 or KR[no year]1953 in the '59 Springfield mile [expert,Plate #6]
                Mostly he will be seen in west coast info.maybe Daytona
                See Caimag forum "race motor numbers"
                http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...s&goto=newpost

Comment

Hi Guy's, Just checking in. After multiple phone calls and looking at the list of programs on the cai forum (thanks Duffey) I found that it may not have been Don Hawley that rode the KR after all. I saw the information listed above about him riding two other KR's as well. I did find that this bike was piloted by Eddie Worth (94X) at the Springfield 50 mile championship race in August of 1964 ! I was on you tube and found a interview with Eddie in August of last year, so now I am in search of Eddie's phone number. I would love to find out how long he had it and where he got it. I really want to fill in the void between 1957 and 64 and I hope that I am closing in on it. This has began to be a lot of fun. I should have been a detective. I'll keep you posted on my finds, Dave

Comment

Try Eddie Wirth-info says racing at 16 pro at 18, 94X the X is an ameteur number

Comment

That still could have been Don Hawley's bike in '57-he may have helped Wirth get started

Comment

Working...
                      X