No announcement yet.

Hacks... How Comfortable Are They?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GerryP, love to see a picture of your sidecar outfit. I'll be putting a Rogers car on my 1916 H-D and I learn a lot from seeing other rigs.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

C.O.
      A lot depends on what you want to do with the sidecar.
      I use to have a 1948 Indian sidecar rig and rode it for many years. Sometimes I would take it off and go solo. What was interesting was I noticed that I rode it a lot more with the sidecar mounted. Being I live in town, I would use it as a “utility vehicle” to go shopping and run errands. It allow me to put my helmet and heavy leather coat in the sidecar and cover it all with the tonneau cover, instead of carrying it all around with me and in the stores. It also gave me a place to carry things home that I had bought or needing pickup, such as groceries and packages. Another thing it did was give me another reason to go out riding instead of taking the hard top. Bad news is when I was unemployed, I had to sell them so I could pay my bills.
      Years before that, when I would visit my brother, his kids “required” me to only bring my Indian sidecar rig so they could go riding in it.
      Years ago, I once gave a sidecar ride to a friend’s wife, she loved it, she rode on the back of his Harley. But I then gave a ride to him (he the big bad biker type) and rode it wildly, such as to just miss parked cars, the curbs and such. It scared him to the point, he wanted to walk home. I then rode it “calmly and safely”, at which time he said it was not bad. In fact, he later got a late 80’s Harley sidecar rig. One time I help him load 4 bales of hay on it for a 20 mile trip. On that trip, my Indian did not have my sidecar attached at that time. He had gone all over the US and up to Alaska on his sidecar rig, with his wife on the back and two kids in the sidecar.
      While I do not have any “modern” sidecars, I still have an early Rogers sidecar I am thinking on putting on one of my early motorcycles and a 1915 Harley Davidson sidecar for my 1915 Harley Davidson. That way, I can keep riding in my “later” years.
      Spacke2speed

Comment

C.O.
        Sorry to crowd in to your thread about somebody else, but here is a little note for Eric on his ’16 H-D
        To put an early Rogers side car on your 1916 Harley, per Rogers Sidecar and Vans Catalog Parts List No. 4 (Effective Sept 1st, 1916) they recommended:
        Model H Chassis, complete with frame, wheel, tire, fender, springs and attachments fittings ($50).
        Model H Chassis Body No. 100 Standard Pleasure Body, complete with door, pocket, mahogany cap strips and upholstery ($35).
        Included Attachment Fittings are:
        Front brace and front brace fittings consisting of 1 No. 515 front short brace ($3.00), 1 No. 19 clamp ($2.00), 2 No. 7 clamps ($1.25per), 4 No. 27 nuts ($.50per), and 2 No. 35 lock washers ($.05per).
        Rear Brace and rear Brace Fittings set No. 109 consisting of 1 No. 510 rear brace ($4.00), 1 No. 6202 H-D regular cluster fitting ($1.50), and 1 No. 110 axle clamp ($1.25).
        Axle or lower rear attachment fittings consisting of 1 No. 203 axle fitting ($1.25), and 1 No. 110 axle clamp ($1.25)
        Accessories you may want to consider are:
        Rogers Spring Shock Absorbers ($1.00)
        Rogers Enameled Foot-rail ($.50)
        Rogers Adjustable Footrest ($1.60)
        Rogers Storm Apron ($3.00)
        Rogers Seat and Upholstery Covers ($4.50)
        Rogers Folding Sidecar Top ($20.00)
        Top Slip Cover ($2.50)
        Top Attaching Irons per set ($2.50)
        If Folding Top is orders with car, top irons will be installed at Factory for no charge.
        Rogers Child’s Seat to hang on inside of car ($3.00)
        Rogers Luggage Carrier ($2.50)
        Note: All chassis will have a price increase of 50%, all parts will have a price increase of 20% as of 5/1/1918, so Eric, you need to hurry before the price increase!
        Just in case Eric wants to know.
        Spacke2speed

Comment

Thanks Spacke; The one item I don't see on the list you posted is a new floor. I still have all the boards, but they are getting close to becoming compost
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Cory and All!

Another note on late H-D hacks: If you have a swingarm-mounted frame, you won't be stunt-riding with the tub in the air much.
            Earlier rigids, and later ('80?) frame mounts allowed my buddies to pick up fully loaded hacks on two wheels, and go for blocks without (immediate) issue.

To skill myself on my '65, I took the tub off, making it dangerously light on right turns, and practiced circling the barns clockwise for a while, but still never got the nerve to show off: Swingarms are easier to 'tweak' than to straighten!
            Straightened two of mine so far, and a third when it comes back apart some day.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Eric
              The boards normal come with the body. But!!!!
              They do list item No. 3 Wood Bottom for Models C, E, or H for $2.50. So you are covered, just remember that you need to buy it before the prices go up.
              Also, the Rogers Parts List No. 4 shows different motorcycles hooked up the Rogers chassis without bodies. The H-D example is a 1916 electric model with the chassis only attached.
              Spacke2speed

Comment

Originally posted by Spacke2speed View Post
                C.O.
                Sorry to crowd in to your thread about somebody else, but here is a little note for Eric on his ’16 H-D
                Spacke2speed
                No worries. A hijack is always welcome if it's got good info! Thanks for your input on the thread as well.

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                Cory and All!

Another note on late H-D hacks: If you have a swingarm-mounted frame, you won't be stunt-riding with the tub in the air much.
                Earlier rigids, and later ('80?) frame mounts allowed my buddies to pick up fully loaded hacks on two wheels, and go for blocks without (immediate) issue.

To skill myself on my '65, I took the tub off, making it dangerously light on right turns, and practiced circling the barns clockwise for a while, but still never got the nerve to show off: Swingarms are easier to 'tweak' than to straighten!

....Cotten
                Cotten!!! I've got a buddy with a late model Chief that can be seen from time to time with a FLXI mounted. Maybe that's the ticket???!!!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by GerryP View Post
                  I have a 1919 with a sidecar and everyone I take (granted they are short rides of anly a couple of miles) says that the sidecar is very comfy. more so than the bike. The story of this particular bike is that the original owner took his bride from Connecticut to San Francisco and back in the side car on his honeymoon in the early 1920's. I'd have to surmise that it would have been comfortable if he was able to get her to do that!
                  That's a great story attached to your '19 outfit!
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Cory and All!

....Cotten
                    What to expect if you abuse your hack-rig:
                    (abuse would cover going through chuck-holes on 2 wheels, in front of drunken buddies)
                    Expect premature loose-ness of rear wheel bearings
                    broken springs in the slippers
                    Loose rear axle
                    broken hollow axle nut
                    possible bent frame (raise my hand here)
                    broken front fork shackle rod(s)
                    worn shackle shims
                    loose front engine mount

And if you plan on long hauls (I did them):
                    expect to do a top end every winter
                    expect to carry a lot of oil, and blow a lot of smoke
                    carry an extra can of gas
                    and expect your buddies to abuse your presence too!

feel free to chip in on further caveats

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
                      ...feel free to chip in on further caveats
                      Such things occur in normal use, only sooner with abuse.

....Cotten
                      PS: It seemed like every time I opened the garage door, some more of my rear tire tread had been erased.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Such things occur in normal use, only sooner with abuse.

....Cotten
                        PS: It seemed like every time I opened the garage door, some more of my rear tire tread had been erased.
                        LOL yes Cotton, There's that to.........BUT.......any adjustment that you can make for the toe in to be LESS than 3/4" will help the life of the rear tire.
                        Chuck
                        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Chuck!

I can't tell you to the fraction of an inch my toe-in, but I got it to where the rig didn't 'wander' (until the neck bearings wore out).
                          Fortunately, I have always had an endless supply of used tires, and a tire changer. Now all I need is somebody younger to fix it all for me.

....Cotten
                          PS: I've still got a stack o' wear-like-iron Goodyears. We used to grind off the middle stripe of "double whites" to make them look like the 1" whites my '65 should have.
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-04-2015, 11:44 AM.
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Whenever I have a person beside me while I'm riding the 3 wheeled Hack they have a smile on their face ear to ear. I think that is what they were designed to do. Give the extra rider a feel like no other. Comfort? Never a complaint however no one has been in there that is too big to fit. Seats are cushy and so it the suspension. Gotta sit low and back as the windshield doesn't quite buff the wind away enough they noticed. Oh and the take me for a ride never ends.

Comment

Cory, you might want to ask your wife to take a look at Bio Electric Acti Patch. A lot less expensive than a side hack n easier on the bike, the acti patch will help knock out back pain without oral or injectable medication.

I have a slipped lumbar facet that was discovered 6 years after a heavy lift incident. No one in the medical community found it as I was advised the injury was in my mind. A vet found it, re set it & the pain was intense & healing near non exsisting.

The Phisiologist told me it would take years to heal & darn near caused me to give up riding due to the pain. The same person who found the slipped lumbar facet advised me about acti patch & while there is still some pain, the device has healed better than 50% of ligament inflammation which in return has reduced the sciatica and low back pain.

The device is shipped out of Maryland ( if your in Canada it may be sold OTC), if not you need to have a perscription. Fax it to them, call with your credit card and they ship USPS Priorty mail. The total cost is about 35.00 U$. It is supposed to be used until the battery runs out, 720 hours continuous but you can install a new battery if you carefully do so.

I did put heavier military springs on the seat post & am planning on purchasing a rebuilt OEM buddy seat from Heathers Leathers that incorporates a gel/foam pad. Just the heavy duty springs alone made a big difference as I ride double up with my wife. Before the seat post spring installation the ride was as if there were no springs, it was truely a rigid frame ride. When we'd get back from riding before I'd darn near drag myself off the bike & crawl into the house to get into a hot shower, then heating pad and a little natural med relief...leave that last one to your imagination.

After the heavier spring instalation there is enough suspension to hande all 325#'s of her & I on the buddy seat.

Not certain if your bike has that option available, but at least check out acti patch to see if that can help your wife with the pain issues.
                              Last edited by ricmoran; 03-05-2015, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ricmoran View Post
                                ... Just the heavy duty springs alone made a big difference as I ride double up with my wife. Before the seat post spring installation the ride was as if there were no springs, it was truely a rigid frame ride....After the heavier spring instalation there is enough suspension to hande all 325#'s of her & I on the buddy seat...
                                And don't forget Folks,...

...Just slipping an old outer OHV valve spring over the post is the time-honored remedy.
                                ("Period Custom?")

Still bottoms out with obesity, of course.

....Cotten
                                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                                X