Question on pinstriping a model 401-402

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on pinstriping a model 401-402

I've a question for this august group. I just talked to my pinstriper and he wanted to know the technique used to reproduce the striping on the 401-402's, clear mixed with gold particles or 1-Shot? I ask as there wasn't any striping on my machine when I bought it, and as I live in Hawaii, there aren't any other late 20's early 30's on my island to use as a reference.
    I've George Yarocki's original 101 photos so fender, toolbox etc. placement isn't a issue (plus I've photos of an original 4 tank). Xeroxed photos don't cut muster.
    Any direction from a knowledgeable owner/builder is gratefully acknowledged.

My pinstriper matched the color of the Indian 4 logo that I made for the tank as the one shot gold other standard colors clashed. I had him fine line each side of the stripe with a thin black line to match the decal. After drying, he went over it all with a pinstripe brush of clear coat. It looks very nice when finished, but I don't think I can upload them as they are quite large.

Comment

That's OK, I got the idea, sounds nice & fancy. 1-shot makes 2 gold colors, 109 and 109-L. My painter seems to have matched the decal with 109-L. He did a demo and we took it into the bright sunlight, very, very, very close.

Comment

Being happy with the results is all that counts, but I know the big manufacturers did not match striping colors to their decals. Decals were made by outside vendors, and striping paint was off the shelf as well.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Yeah, I understand that matching the decal to the pinstripe color was not how it was originally done. However, the color of the original decal was so awful to me that I made a set of new ones that were 2 mils thick and used a much better gold color; they also won't tear when you put them on. Next, my painter clear coated the tank again and finally, my pinstriper matched the color to the decal at my request. My pinstriper is John Hannukaine in Olympia, WA. He does some of the finest work I've ever seen.

Here is a picture of the finished product:

FOUR 4 (98).jpg

Comment

Wow! Do motorcycles come any better looking than that? Nice ride.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
              Wow! Do motorcycles come any better looking than that? Nice ride.
              Thanks! I've got a 1929 Four to do next, after I button up my 1926 Chief.

Comment

Are you a member?

Originally posted by Oldchief View Post
                Thanks! I've got a 1929 Four to do next, after I button up my 1926 Chief.
                Do you know about the Indian 4 Cylinder Club? I joined a few years ago and have received a lot of help, especially on their private Facebook page. I'm finishing my 1930 this year. I'm really excited thinking about riding it around the Big Island.indian4.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by chas View Post
                  Do you know about the Indian 4 Cylinder Club? I joined a few years ago and have received a lot of help, especially on their private Facebook page. I'm finishing my 1930 this year. I'm really excited thinking about riding it around the Big Island.[ATTACH=CONFIG]14545[/ATTACH]
                  Hey, nice bike. I do know about the Indian 4 Club. There website hasn't been updated for quite some time, the current pictures date back several years to previous annual meets. Roy Davies, an Indian 4 club member finished the lower half of my engine and I assembled the pistons, cylinders, manifold, made fabricated metal gaskets for the cylinders, etc. He purchased some frame to engine mount brackets that I fabricated for my Indian 4. I have about thirty of them left. They always seem to be missing on these bikes. Let me know if you need one.

I will check out the Facebook page. Thanks!

Comment

Mahalo, Roy is just finishing the complete overhauling of my engine. The sheet metal is at my painter's being touched up, striped and decaled. The previous owner died before he had a chance to finish it.

About the website, you're right excepting the want ads are updated pretty regularly. I don't know if the Club's FB administrator will let you join the group if you're not a member of the Club. But you can always ask. ;-)

We have more than just the website, we publish a 40 some-odd page color magazine and 3 newsletters every year.

Comment

Oh, and I may require a top motor mount kit, if Roy's supply is exhausted. How much?

Comment

Originally posted by chas View Post
                        Oh, and I may require a top motor mount kit, if Roy's supply is exhausted. How much?
                        Yeah, I will look into joining. It'd be nice to get a few supplemental newsletters that interest me a few times a year. As for the motor mount bracket, I sold Roy enough to last for at least a year or longer. I'd be curious as to what he'd charge for it. I think I have one that is nickel plated already, along with the other bare ones. I take a look in the garage this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                        X