No announcement yet.

1947 tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually just dealt with this. Indeed Left hand Pan, Right hand Knuckle. Still beautiful tanks nonetheless. I'd say run them until you find the proper left tank. Original paint is worthy of displaying even if it is a year off in my opinion.

I too have also seen 2 examples of low VIN 1948 Panhead tanks with the plugged Knuckle access. Such an incredible crossover in years piece. I love parts like this.

p.s. Hello Hollywood!
    Last edited by Joemax; 12-09-2014, 06:27 PM.

Comment

And I have seen a right-side 48-50 pan tank where the area at the fitting was cut out in a rectangle and rotated 180-degrees to put the fitting in the knucklehead location. Actually, I was at the guy's shop and watched him do the deed. It was going on a restoration, once painted it was undetectable. The indentation for the pan covers, though, would make folks scratch their heads.
      Lonnie Campbell #9908
      South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

That indent on the left tank doesn't look very clean. I wonder if someone hammered in a Knuckle tank to fit a Pan.

Comment

I have owned 2 different styles of 47 tanks, the first style had the smooth welded seem on the inside and the other had the indentions like panhead tanks have. Here are pictures I took comparing both styles of 47 tanks.

Comment

Working...
          X