frame advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frame advice

I've been working on my 1916J and have the motor about finished. I'm anxious to get a ride on this project as it's been more than a few years in the making. Right now, I'm noodling about on the frame but it doesn't match the rest of the bike, and it's in light gray primer. The frame was quite rough when I got it, and I have done extensive restoration, and structural repairs to make it safe, and dimensionally sound. I was hoping I could get some advice from member on how to "finish" the frame. Should I do a crustoration, make it look new, paint it flat black, or throw it out back and let it rust for 2 years? I don't want to restore the rest of bike as I have other things to do, and I have a sidecar that perfectly matches the rusty bits. All obsevations, opinions, expert advice, and baloney will be most appreciated.

Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Either over restore it or hit the frame with a rattle can brown. It's really a perfect candidate to fully over restore
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I didn't think of painting the frame brown, good idea Rob. Somewhere down the line I would like to over restore the bike. 1916 Harleys were beautiful bikes in their original colors, and finishes.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, after seeing the talent you have in all aspects of restoration I think you need a break. This is only my opinion, but I think you will have more fun, ride it more, and put more miles of smiles on your face, if you don't have to worry about a nick here, scratch there, a dribble of oil here and there, if you just crustorize it and ride the heck out of it. I think you will be done with it a lot sooner and spend a lot less money doing that. Heck, you have those other beautiful bikes to gaze at, ride the wheels off this one. That's my salami on this.
        Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 12-02-2014, 04:21 PM.
        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I like the brown frame idea. Or red Rustoleum primer. I wouldn't change anything else.

Kevin

Kevin
          https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Eric, I finally found a repro rear stand for the Indian. Didn't want it to stand out too much so I got a can of spray on stone chip guard, applied a very light coat for texture. After that sprayed some brown, a little yellow around the edges and topped it off with matt clear. Sounds like a lot of work but only took about 45 minutes and now at least it looks like it belongs. Forgive the pictures. Someday I'll get the hang of posting them correctly. Dale025.jpg027.jpg

Comment

Eric, I think it would look best with rust. Here's what you can do. Lightly sandblast the frame to remove the primer. Wash the frame with soap and hot water. Get a spray bottle and fill with 10% mix of muriatic acid and water. Spray the frame and let it sit out doors. Don't be alarmed if the frame at first turns funny colors like blue. In less then 2 months, out doors, it will develope a nice coat of rust. This is a good time of the year because of the evening dampness and dew. Also grease up any areas, as a mask, that you don't want to rust. When you satisfied with the rust, you'll find that the fresh rust is more orange then brown. Take some dark wood stain on a rag and rub into the rust surface and it will look like real old rust. When your ready to restore, sandblast and your ready for paint.

Comment

Originally posted by painterdale View Post
                Eric, I finally found a repro rear stand for the Indian. Didn't want it to stand out too much so I got a can of spray on stone chip guard, applied a very light coat for texture. After that sprayed some brown, a little yellow around the edges and topped it off with matt clear. Sounds like a lot of work but only took about 45 minutes and now at least it looks like it belongs. Forgive the pictures. Someday I'll get the hang of posting them correctly. Dale[ATTACH=CONFIG]14268[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14269[/ATTACH]
                I wouldn't mind seeing more of your Indian, Dale.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

Those are great suggestions. HTR, I particularly like the dark wood stain idea. Painterdale, I'm with Kevin and I want to see more pictures of your Indian.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, pm me your email and I'll send some pictures of rust.

Comment

So, I get shamed into finally learning how to post photos correctly. Got to give credit to the simple explanation from Harry Roberts a few months back. Does proper etiquette dictate opening a new thread or horning in on yours, Eric? Here you go. Hope this works.

Comment

Oh, Dale! Very nice. What are your plans?

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

That is an awesome Power Plus !

Comment

Absolutely no problem Dale. I love PowerPlus Indians of any year (except the new ones). I do think you should open a new thread for your bike because it deserves to be seen by the members, and it may get lost in this thread. Now to make a fool of myself, I'm going to guess it's a '17 based on the handlebar bellcranks.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks, all. I appreciate the positive comments! Eric, good eye! It is a 1917. Kevin, my immediate plans are to get tires on it which means replacing the rims. Working on unlacing the original spokes. In the mean time, I watch your thread closely, it's been a great learning tool. Eric, as always I take great interest in what you have going on. Keep it comin'!

Comment

Working...
                              X