No announcement yet.

frame advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the rims that bad Dale? A clincher rim has to be pretty bad to be bad. One of the worst problems would be the edge that the tire bead seats on. A clincher tire relies on tire pressure to keep it on the rim and if that rim edge is too rough, the tire could work free. You can still get rims from McRoberts who advertises in our club magazine.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by painterdale View Post
      I love seeing the Indian script showing through the brushed on paint! Really nice motorcycle there!
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Eric, the rear rim isn't too bad. It has a small flat spot and is a bit rough around the lip. The front rim is rusted through in one spot. Possibly sat on a dirt floor for a period of time. You recommended McRoberts in Kevin's thread and I got his number out just haven't made the call, yet. (My build threads would last years!) Harry, look at me go with this picture thing! You did a great job of explaining it in Steve Little's thread a month or so ago. Dale

Comment

Script on right side. Dale

Comment

Ya, it's gonna need a new front rim. That's got to be about the most complete 1917 PP survivor that I've seen though.

Did it have a sidecar? I see a front sidecar mount and no rear stand.

Kevin

Kevin
            https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Kevin, I have imposed on Eric enough. I am going to take his advice and open a new thread. I will repost the pictures there and we can continue. Thanks again, Eric!

Comment

Oh boy, that J is a dandy! Did you decide on what approach to take Eric?
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Cory, I've parked the J for awhile because I have other projects ahead of it. I got it to a rolling state, and I used some of the techniques suggested by D.A. Bagin, Dale, Kevin, and HTR. Faking age is very difficult, if not impossible, but I never intended to fool anyone. I just want the restored parts to come close to looking like the unrestored parts. I am chomping at the bit to get back on the project and I want to also start on the sidecar and get that attached. The sidecar is a Rogers and it's rusty but solid and will look right at home on the J (even though it came off a 1917 Excelsior). I'll post pictures when I get back on it.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, I think that getting paint to prematurely age accurately is an art form. Not all "fakes" are created equal that's for sure. I'm sure you will get it close and it will look fine. . I'm with what D.A. said on this one. It would be kind of cool to see you slack off on just one bike (at least for the time being). I'm betting you'll have a blast on it. Not to mention answering all the questions about when you're gonna fix it up? I look forward to seeing what it looks like when you're done.
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                    X