Trouble with seat post bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with seat post bushing

Has anyone had trouble keeping the seat post bushing on a post war Chief down inside the frame tube? Other than gluing the thing in place, I can't figure out how to keep it from "catching" on the seat post and getting pulled out of the frame when the seat works up and down during riding. Any ideas?
    IMG_2060.jpg

You need a new seat post with a smooth surface to prevent it catching the bushing and pulling it out. Maybe a little loctite and a light hone would help also.

Comment

Pull the seat post and the bushing, polish the seat post on a buffing wheel. Clean and check the I.D. of the frame tube and the O.D. of the bushing with a caliper or micrometer - the two are a friction fit so they should be very close. I'm guessing that since the bushing was loose it has opened up the I.D. of the frame tube slightly or elongated the bushing - you might also want to compare the O.D. of the seat post to the I.D. of the bushing. McMaster-Carr or a machinist can supply you with a slightly oversized bushing if the frame has opened up. Alternately, you could shim, solder, or loctite (green I think) the existing one into place or even drill the side of the frame tube, tap it and put in a set screw. The post is supposed to be greased in case yours isn't.
      Last edited by knucky; 11-30-2014, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I tried soldering and it held for a while, ultimately JB weld (epoxy) did the trick

Comment

Working...
        X