Newbie Looking for K Model info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Looking for K Model info

I am new to the site and I am excited to be here. I am restoring, to about 80%, a 1953 K model with a 1955 KHK motor in it. As I found out, parts are hard to find so I am looking for advice there. Also, we are planning to convert to a 12V system, so any suggestions would be nice. Finally (but not the last time I am sure), I am looking for opinion on the color. It was originally Pepper Red, but I am thinking about possibly changing it to Atomic Blue. I figure it will make it more recognizable for the era bike it is...thoughts appreciated!

I am sure I will have a LOT more questions to come as we build this beauty...

"Mayday"

Why convert to 12volts? The old 6v system works just fine as long as you don't use a front light above about 50watts. 6v filaments are more vibration resistant than 12v, which is why motorcycle manufacturers held out till starter motors came in. For the same power uses, 12v wires / cables need only half the cross-section area of copper.

If you really want to do it for whatever reason then maybe there's a substitute generator that goes straight in. Avoid a new regulator that lets the old 6v generator output at 12v. Can be done but low speed output will disappoint. Alternatively a good rewind shop can make you new field coils and rewind your armature that will optimize it for 12v output, but you won't know if they've done a good job till you try it.

Comment

I have a 1953 K frame if you're interested......
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

My stock generator works fine, but I could not find a decent voltage regulator. Finally, I bought a solid state unit from Cycle Electric that does not overcharge my sealed 6V battery. It does not look stock, but it doesn't look out of place either. You may want to consider this approach.
        George Tinkham
        Springfield, IL
        www.virmc.com
        AMCA # 1494
        1941 Indian 841
        1948 Indian Chief
        1956 H-D KHK
        1960 CH
        1964 BMW R69S
        1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
        1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

How much of the original paint remains? I wouldn't paint over any factory color that is in decent condition.
          VPH-D

Comment

What is the date code on your frame?
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris,
              I believe it's 1953 and I don't remember the month code, so I'll have to get to my storage container and look again. I'll try to get over there this weekend.
              Bill Pedalino
              Huntington, New York
              AMCA 6755

Comment

Chris,
                I sorry, but I didn't get a chance to look at the K frame yet as my storage container is in another town and Christmas (actually, my lovely wife) is taking a big chunk of my weekend time. Furthermore, my real job's work schedule makes a container trip quite difficult during the week. When I am able to get there, I'll tale a couple of photos and send them to you, unless you're in a rush whereby I'd make the time.
                Merry Christmas!
                Bill
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

was delayed getting back on the site, but here is some more info in response to the threads.
                  - John A: when looking at the cost to completely rewire the bike (which it needs) we figured it would be better to go to 12V due to various parts availability, lights, aftermarket electronics, etc. The cost difference was very minimal according to my mechanic, but I have not verified that yet. We are also going to a automatic spark advance versus on the left grip, a couple other bike builders said it is worth its' weight in gold to do so. I am open to thoughts on that too...
                  - Bill P and Coolbreeze: my frame is in great shape but I appreciate the info.
                  - VPH-D: The bike was repainted Candy Apple Red in the early 60's and repainted Flamboyant Green in the late 70'2 according to the only previous owner of the bike. I have since decided to go back to the original color of Pepper Red with the white "swoosh" on the tank (looks like the Elvis bike).
                  - Chris H: The motorcycle's actual VIN is on the engine for these years, not the frame; I may have misunderstood, but is that what you were asking for? Is there a marking I should look for on the frame as well?

Comment

when looking at the cost to completely rewire the bike (which it needs) we figured it would be better to go to 12V due to various parts availability, lights, aftermarket electronics, etc. The cost difference was very minimal according to my mechanic, but I have not verified that yet. We are also going to a automatic spark advance versus on the left grip, a couple other bike builders said it is worth its' weight in gold to do so. I am open to thoughts on that too...
                    Any changes you make to standard specification will diminish the value of the bike. Why not just keep it stock, that is the most desirable condition? And auto advance is far overrated. A band aid for a problem that doesn't exist.

The motorcycle's actual VIN is on the engine for these years, not the frame; I may have misunderstood, but is that what you were asking for? Is there a marking I should look for on the frame as well?
                    Chris was asking about date codes, not VIN numbers. If a code exists on your frame it will be on the right side of the seat mount casting. Part of a mission some of us are on to identify when coding started on various models.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The auto advance timer was added along with electric start, and offers you no real advantage. The auto timer, however, does have the disadvantage of hard to find weights and advance springs. This is from a guy with two Pans with auto advance timers.
                      VPH-D

Comment

Auto advance is for people who are not in tune with their motorcycle. My first bike was a '56 KHK former flat track racer that could lift its front in top gear. When I bent it slow and low into a curve and needed some "grunt" from the engine, I would roll off (forward) on the spark as I rolled on the throttle. You cannot do that with an automatic spark advance.
                        I like the manual spark advance so much that I had it installed on my '60 CH.
                        George Tinkham
                        Springfield, IL
                        www.virmc.com
                        AMCA # 1494
                        1941 Indian 841
                        1948 Indian Chief
                        1956 H-D KHK
                        1960 CH
                        1964 BMW R69S
                        1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                        1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Sorry for long delay...been busy on many levels. Thanks for the information, I decided to stay with 6V and rebuild the original generator as needed.

Comment

Correct Decision !!
                            Bill Pedalino
                            Huntington, New York
                            AMCA 6755

Comment

Thanks...can you tell I am getting excited to ride this gal!

Comment

Working...
                              X