'47 Indian Chief Start Up Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '47 Indian Chief Start Up Part 2

Did the temp fix on the rear exhaust, let the Permatex cure, went out and started her up again this morning. She ran much, much better. The front header did separate from the manifold, but that's an easy fix. Still some tuning issues, but all in all very pleased at how she ran this morning.

Mark

1947 Indian Chief
    1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
    1998 Honda Valkyrie

It sounds like it is running on one cylinder. I would first run a compression test. Then do a complete ignition tune up. Was the distributor out or the cams out? It could have a timing issue. Just trying to help. Have fun!
    Last edited by harleytoprock; 10-05-2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Agree with Toprock... check to see that both pipes are 'hot.' Bet one is cool... not firing.

I'd run through the entire ignition system. Check that you have spark on both cylinders. If it's starting and running, you have no carb problems. Adjust the idle down after you get both cylinders running. But check from plug through timer... everything. Bet you have an ignition miss.

Still, very promising. Minor tweaking to have an amazing machine!!!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

You both are most likely correct. The front cylinder was cool to touch this morning after I shot that last video. I have spark on both. Already checked for that. And there is compression on both as well (thumb over plug hole test). I know that's not definitive but there is compression. Also new points installed and they are getting power as well when opened and closed manually. So....would you guys say that narrows it down to timing? Probably going to have to wait on that until I return from Brazil as I fly out on Tuesday. At least that will give me time to read up on timing adjustments.

Another question....and a stupid one....is there a trick to getting the generator belt around the pulley down by the clutch? For the life of me I cannot get it around that pulley.

Anyhow, I'd done for the day and most likely for the next 30 days or so. Tomorrow will be mostly dedicated to getting my gear ready for the trip.
        Mark

1947 Indian Chief
        1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

I Usually just remove the nut on the back of the pulley, remove the pulley and slip the belt over it into the groove. Unless I misunderstood the question.
          I just finished this Chief I found on eBay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHrYOO24x4g
          Ian Biddle
          www.f-head.com

Comment

Pat's 48 Chief 007.jpg Another great Chief Ian. Here is one I let slip away. I bought it's twin many years ago and should have bought this machine as well. Two brothers bought the 48's in 49 from a couple of servicemen that were shipping out. The blue tanks on this bike were robbed from my 48 because the they held fuel and the green tanks were leaking. The green 48 was sold to an Australian buyer and has been restored. I have seen pictures and it looks good... I liked it better before. I offered the Aussy buyer the green tanks back in trade for my blue ones but he declined.
            Last edited by koanes; 10-06-2014, 07:30 AM.
            Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

This shows the pulley with the nut (in the background).
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Ian Biddle; 10-06-2014, 07:32 AM.
              Ian Biddle
              www.f-head.com

Comment

Havent read all of your posts, but one thing I would recommend is to drain your fuel and find non ethanol fuel. My 48 ran like crap and found that the fuel was higher than 10% ethanol. I now go to a local station that has 0 ethanol fuel. More expensive, but it works. Also try lower octane fuels such as 87. Talked with Robin Markey about this at the Chesapeake Meet. Hope this helps.
                Rob W.
                Northeast Ohio.

24 Big Chief
                37 Chief
                48 Chief
                08 Vision
                12 S1000RR
                13 Cross Country

Comment

I would try a different spark plug on the cold cylinder. Sometimes they just don't work under compression. I agree with Rob about the lower octane fuel, but I tried the non-ethanol fuel and didn't notice any difference, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks....I burn nothing but pure gas in all my bikes as I have two stations nearby that offer non-crap fuel. The Indian is full of fresh non-ethanol, 87 Octane.
                    Mark

1947 Indian Chief
                    1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Biddle View Post
                      I Usually just remove the nut on the back of the pulley, remove the pulley and slip the belt over it into the groove. Unless I misunderstood the question.
                      I just finished this Chief I found on eBay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHrYOO24x4g
                      Very nice Ian....sea foam blue like mine. I suppose you have to block the pulley from rotating to break that nut loose. Maybe a block of wood wedged in there will help me break that nut loose.

Thanks Ian.
                      Mark

1947 Indian Chief
                      1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

The trick used to be, cut one of the "corners" of the pulley. I realize the pulley doesn't have corners, just cut a straight line on the outer edge of the pulley, just enough to get the belt on and off with out having to remove the pulley.

Comment

Working...
                        X