Rear Hub Anti-rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Hub Anti-rotation

I am I the process of rebuilding the rear hub to my 26 JD. My questions is in regard to the small anti-rotation pin that is on the axle shaft and locks to the inner bearing race. Mine seems to have a lot of slop. I didn't know if this was ok or if I should somehow replace the anti rotation pin. Anyone remember if theirs had a fair amount of play in it our was it tight?

Also if you replaced the pin how does it come out? Threaded?

Thank you,
    Mike
    Attached Files

Mine was like yours and I decided to replace it. I believe the pin pulled out with a little heat and a vice grip. Another way can be to drill a small hole and set a sheet metal screw in and use a puller.

I replaced mine with a heavy roll pin I had. This is a formed pin with a slot in the side so it can compress and fit a hole that may not be perfectly sized. Also, you can make a a pin and loctite it in.

One thing about mine was the fit between the axle and the hub, which you can see in pic 1. I was concerned about the play as it was evident of some galling and wear even though there is very little relative movement between the parts. I ended up finding a better one. I think this area could be built up and turned back which is what I would do today to make a snug fit in the housing ID.
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
    X