Applause to Antique Motorycle Club Facebook Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applause to Antique Motorycle Club Facebook Page

I recently took time to join the AMCA Facebook Page and encourage more AMCA Members to do so as well. Applause to Matt and Brittany Olsen and Buck Carson for pioneering and monitoring this effort. There are an ever ending progression of posts with Historic Photos, Photos of Members & their Bikes, AMCA Events etc... Just another great tool in AMCA's Tool Box to continue communicating with our membership worldwide and for all our members to communicate and share with each other.

As an example of how social media can work... AMCA Youth Director Buck Carson recently posted a challenge for AMCA Members to post pictures of Youth in Motorcycling so he could have some actual member photos to use in a future column in our AMCA Magazine. Within a few days there were untold numbers of photos from as early as 1904 up to present day grandkids on Grandpa's vintage motorcycle.

Young People.jpg Lets Race.JPGLets Play Indians.JPGIndian Boy.JPGFix It.JPG

The Future of Our Sport is In Youth!
    Steve Klein
    Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
    American Pre-teens - 1965
    AMCA Member 12176
    Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
    www.CherokeeAMCA.org
    Steve@SteveKlein.com
    Georgetown, TX USA

That sounds great, except for the Facebook part. I have never liked Facebook, and find it cumbersome, ever changing, and hard to navigate. Also, it is difficult to search and find an old entry, or picture. What's wrong with our AMCA forum? As a stable archive for photographs, and technical info, I have to believe the forum is far superior. I can see the appeal of Facebook for socializing, but it seems like many members are forsaking the forum and it's ability to aid restoration, and preservation research. I've heard time and again how the AMCA doesn't have a knowledge center for old motorcycles, and how disappointed new members are when they can't find data on their particular bike. When you look at how popular the CAIMAG forum is, and the amount of useful data, and fantastic pictures that exist there, I have to say the AMCA is failing it's mission to help it's members. But, I'm getting the impression that isn't the mission of the AMCA anymore.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I'm with Eric on Facebook, tried it briefly several years ago. I probably did something wrong (being mostly computer illiterate), and STILL get occasional emails from "Hotties looking for Hookups." Never again.
      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Rich and Eric....

That's because you aren't 20-something and hooked on da 'Book!

If the AMCA wants to stay in touch with younger members, then social media is a necessity. AMCA needs a Twitter account, too, if it's to connect with people younger than, say, me.... And probably you guys.

I find social media to be annoying, narcissistic, time-wasting and intrusive. But I also think that Hip Hop sucks and can't understand the attraction to vampire movies when Casablanca is so well-written. But then again, I am an old phart.

Good on AMCA for doing a FB page. I'll probably join. Under a pseudonym. ;-) And for the Utes who are using it... welcome to the world of Old motorcycles. And, sadly, early Ninjas are now considered antiques. But whatever brings you into the fold is ok with me. Sooner or later, you may discover hand-shift machines, leather belt drives and the beauty of a skirted fender. Prewar is where all the good sex and violence happens in the old vehicle world anyway. (Utes? Sorry... Youthhhezzzz, your honor.)

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. Rich.. can you send me the addresses of the hotties? I am looking for a cat-sitter.

Comment

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
          Rich and Eric....

That's because you aren't 20-something and hooked on da 'Book!

If the AMCA wants to stay in touch with younger members, then social media is a necessity. AMCA needs a Twitter account, too, if it's to connect with people younger than, say, me.... And probably you guys.

I find social media to be annoying, narcissistic, time-wasting and intrusive. But I also think that Hip Hop sucks and can't understand the attraction to vampire movies when Casablanca is so well-written. But then again, I am an old phart.

Good on AMCA for doing a FB page. I'll probably join. Under a pseudonym. ;-) And for the Utes who are using it... welcome to the world of Old motorcycles. And, sadly, early Ninjas are now considered antiques. But whatever brings you into the fold is ok with me. Sooner or later, you may discover hand-shift machines, leather belt drives and the beauty of a skirted fender. Prewar is where all the good sex and violence happens in the old vehicle world anyway. (Utes? Sorry... Youthhhezzzz, your honor.)

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. Rich.. can you send me the addresses of the hotties? I am looking for a cat-sitter.
          Rich and Eric;

Sihr is spot on here. I never said "STOP USING THE FORUM." We can augment it and improve the club by adding more tools in the clubs tool box.
          If motorycle enthusiasts cannot find the AMCA easily, (I mean while they are thinking about it at a red light) we as a progressive 10,000 member strong organization need to make smart changes in our direction at times to "Go where they already are." The fact of the Facebook topic is that the 20 something's and thirty comething's crowds are fleeing Facebook because their parents (us old pharts) have learned how to use it and the younger gen does not want the older gen to know what they are posting! "Facebook is for old people now!" To get the younger crowd interested in the AMCA...Sihr is absolutely right about having Twitter in the AMCA toolbox. And while we are at it... Let's get the Instagram Tool as well? And watch for new social media tools in the future. (Does anyone still only use old hand tools in their shop... or do they have a few air operated or battery operated ones as well?

I bet if I had a time machine and went back to early internet times, the AMCA also had "died in the wool members" then that were "comfortable" with newsletters and the magazine and thought this "new fangled idea of a internet website called "www.antiquemotorycle.org" was sketchy as best? Also, as a parent of grown kids who grew up with social media, as owner of 6 companies that employ many hundreds of people who all spend far too much time on my clock checking their Facebook, Tweets, emails et all... No one is more frustrated with social media than I am. But its here to stay! It is a reality! It is the tool that an entire generation uses to access information immediately when they want it, & to post messages and formulate opinions on. We either participate or we lose that generation. They will not listen to a radio, or watch a TV. They have all their personal music and favorite TV shows on their personal smart device. This device also has their calculator, tape measure, level, camera, video recorder, calendar, all their photo albums, price comparison apps, movie review apps, retaurant guides and everything else at the touch of a button. Oh..I forgot..It is also a phone

Anyone want a good deal on a nice set of encylopedias real damn cheap? Free if you pay the postage! (This thread may get a few more opinions

All the Best to All our AMCA Members!
          Steve Klein
          AMCA Member 12176
          www.CherokeeAMCA.org
          Steve@SteveKlein.com
          Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

I never said there was anything wrong with the AMCA having a facebook page. Quite the opposite; I believe it is a useful distraction for the socially obsessed. My point was; the forum is a stable receptacle for information, photos, scans of rare literature, and technical data. All of this can be found with the search function and that makes it an actual useable tool. Social media may be a good recruiting tool, but my frustrating forays at facebook showed me plenty of icing, but no cake. I have over 2,500 posts on this forum so I've used it a lot, and I have learned a lot. Unfortunately, The AMCA seems to consider this a low priority function, and judging by the activity here, so do most of our members. I'll remind you again of the CAIMAG forum that is very popular and has devoted members who actively promote antique motorcycling. Many of their new members are young people who joined that forum because of the help they can get, and the searchable knowledge in the voluminous wealth of stored technical info, photos, and advice. So, I think the task of the AMCA is to define what kind of new members it wants. If we're just going for quantity of new members glued to an iPhone, then I think that course will lead to failure. If the AMCA can offer a gem of a club that can help struggling vintage bike enthusiasts who are alone in the wilderness, I believe the AMCA will continue to be the great club it has been.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

This is my favorite website, usually go directly to "new posts" to see what's interesting today. I know several members that don't use it and/or have never looked at the forum. Maybe they've looked a time or two and gave up.(?)
              I've tried numerous times to "search" for info on the forum that I've seen before and know it's there...and failed. I get a list of threads (probably) containing the words in my search, but no way to know which thread-then, which page of that thread has what I'm looking for.
              It's far easier (for me) to just google the key words and add "amca" at the end, that usually brings me back here to the correct post.
              There should be an easier, more direct way. Being computer illiterate isn't helping.
              And, I REFUSE to be a Twit.
              Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                I never said there was anything wrong with the AMCA having a facebook page. Quite the opposite; I believe it is a useful distraction for the socially obsessed. My point was; the forum is a stable receptacle for information, photos, scans of rare literature, and technical data. All of this can be found with the search function and that makes it an actual useable tool. Social media may be a good recruiting tool, but my frustrating forays at facebook showed me plenty of icing, but no cake. I have over 2,500 posts on this forum so I've used it a lot, and I have learned a lot. Unfortunately, The AMCA seems to consider this a low priority function, and judging by the activity here, so do most of our members. I'll remind you again of the CAIMAG forum that is very popular and has devoted members who actively promote antique motorcycling. Many of their new members are young people who joined that forum because of the help they can get, and the searchable knowledge in the voluminous wealth of stored technical info, photos, and advice. So, I think the task of the AMCA is to define what kind of new members it wants. If we're just going for quantity of new members glued to an iPhone, then I think that course will lead to failure. If the AMCA can offer a gem of a club that can help struggling vintage bike enthusiasts who are alone in the wilderness, I believe the AMCA will continue to be the great club it has been.
                As usual Eric... You are very articulate, well thought and deep in your convictions with your deliveries regardless of topic. I respect such. May I suggest (and this is not directed towards you) that there are Social Media Users (The Forum is Social Media as well) that do have members who want to do more than just share information or help others. These Keyboard Commandos often want to Force Their Opinion(s), Debate and Ultimately Win the Debate it often seems.
                Just one AMCA Members observation at times.

And also... Not everyone on FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram et all are "socially obsessed" maybe true for a large percentage of users... But a blanket generality none-the-less for others who do not over indulge. Some of us find it quicker and easier to just view old historic photos for entertainment. Like thumbing through a magazine.

All The Best
                Steve Klein
                AMCA Member 12176
                www.CherokeeAMCA.org
                Steve@SteveKlein.com
                Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

Greetings all
                  I'll put my $0.02 in here.. If it was not for the dreaded Facebook, I may not have found AMCA and I'm not a Youngen. I have been into Antique motorcycles most all my life. Its only been in the last 15 years that I have expanding my collection and working on other peoples bikes. In doing so I have had to increase my knowledge and the internet has been a God Send source of information. Once I found your FB page it was only days before I joined AMCA and was able to get on this forum. FB people I find will not answer your technical questions as you don't know who is who and who knows or is feeding you hear-say. I trust the information from here a lot better and 95% of my questions I have been able to find answers just by doing a simple search.
                  Thank You AMCA
                  Herman Fortman aka 50Panhead

Comment

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
                    AMCA needs a Twitter account, too, if it's to connect with people younger than, say, me....
                    I find it difficult to believe anyone who has ever seen/used Twitter would think it would be useful for AMCA. A hammer is a very useful tool, but if the job is to cut valve seats a hammer is not appropriate at all. To the extent Twitter is a useful tool for some things does not make it a useful tool for all things.

Writers for magazines tout social media like Twitter as the current Big Thing, but that doesn't mean it has any relevance for the AMCA. The job of those writers is to write superficial pieces that sound contemporary and few have the skills or training to understand anything much deeper than that. If the AMCA is to move forward as current members age out of the membership database it has to understand what it is doing and not expend time or resources on things that are unlikely to do any good. Like create 140-word tweets to post on Twitter that somehow would entice people to join AMCA. As another example, 'Good Housekeeping' magazine has circulation of over 4M, but it would be foolish to spend money advertising for new AMCA members there.

Originally posted by 50Panhead View Post
                    If it was not for the dreaded Facebook, I may not have found AMCA
                    Similarly, while a few people with an interest in old motorcycles might have been totally unaware of the AMCA until they found something about it on Facebook, it is also very difficult to believe that is the normal situation. For the AMCA to spend effort on Facebook is not unlike spending money on ads in 'Good Housekeeping'. Yes, either might draw in a few new members, but one has to think a bit more deeply about the cost/benefit. Just because magazines say "everyone" is using Facebook and Twitter does not mean either is a good source for recruiting future AMCA members.

Comment

Being the devil's ignorant advocate here, in the long run, it's not going to matter what medium of communication is used, so long as what we know today is passed forward.

25 years ago, about all we had was post cards and wall phones. Being on the front end of a very long curve things internet communication related, my pecking away at the keyboard will become obsolete when? email, forums, facebook, twitter, what have you... all experiments finding the next "best" way to communicate when eye to eye is not possible. once the experimenting is done, we'll have what works best for some period of extended time. right now, "imho," this internet communication is in the same place Samuel Morse was, when he discovered he could communicate using electromagnetic energy. In the case of how much control we have over "social media" affecting our passion, it's difficult to say how much of our contemporary concern will someday become the future generation's historical musings. None the less, at the least, it's our entertainment for each passing day. i guess the observation i have is how much of what communication methods we are using today will be here in 25-50 years? Fad will fade away and what is more constant will remain for a longer period. How many of us treasure holding an original piece of literature in our hand or an actual photograph v.s. pecking away to look at a computer generated picture? Each medium probably has it's own purpose to serve the user best.

AMCA and antique motorcycle-wise, going with the times is one thing. and likely a good thing. i recently joined facebook so i could follow our Australian friend's JD cylinder production efforts. Now i have 40 friends ! facebook, twitter.... i guess we use what we are born into and society expects us to use. for me, i was born into wall phones and post cards, when a face to face visit wasn't possible. But, i've sure grown to like email and this forum. Cheaper than gas and saves time getting ready for a road trip to meet up with friends.

Restoring my 27 JD, i probably won't go to twitter or facebook much, but i sure been on this forum and collecting/resourcing "hardcopy" alot. Doubt Matt Olsen refers to facebook when he needs to know what to do next on for his restoration work. Facebook or twitter is one thing, but if i need to know something, chances are i'm going to have to go deeper if i want to learn more than what's on facebook or twitter. And, for those who are comfortable with what they think they know from being part of facebook/twitter, more power to 'em. i guess i see facebook and twitter as calling cards to come experience the real deal.

Anyway..... way too much coming out of my ignorant fingertips. From time to time, i've noted my identity getting caught up in forums. Not so much anymore. Leave that to the "keyboard commandos." Nice term, i like it. A forum i infrequently frequent, there is a member who sounds like he has learned enough to become an authority as the result of currently being up to having written just over 20,000 posts on perhaps at least one of his favorite forums. i'm guessing he's on facebook and twitter also. possibly a good resource to learn where oil filters are sold.
                      Last edited by Steve Swan; 11-28-2014, 01:28 PM.
                      Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
                      https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Swan View Post
                        Being the devil's ignorant advocate here, in the long run, it's not going to matter what medium of communication is used.
                        Well, yes and no. It's true that to some extent we have no control over it, in that if our only form of communication had been telex we would no longer be able to communicate since that system has been shut down. However, the issue isn't about what medium will be most commonly used 20 years from now, it's about what the AMCA should be doing now to ensure it still will be a healthy organization in 20 years.

i recently joined facebook so i could follow our Australian friend's JD cylinder production efforts. Now i have 40 friends ! facebook, twitter.... i guess we use what we are born into and society expects us to use.
                        Again yes and no about what we use. While a few people might follow a restoration thread via 140-character tweets (Today I installed the oil pump using a special tool whose design would be easy to understand if I could post a picture here but I'm about to run out of the 17 characters rema), very few would find this medium of use for this purpose irrespective of whether or not "society expects us to use" it.

Some forms of communication were short lived (Myspace), some were around for quite a while before disappearing (fax machines), and others have been here for even longer (books). But, again, the issue isn't about putting all AMCA's eggs into one communication basket to last into the future, it's whether the nature of certain of the baskets around today make it reasonable to put any eggs in them at all. Limited to 140 characters and no graphics seems to me, at least, to make Twitter a basket that holds very little of use to the AMCA whether or not "society expects us to use" it. If I am correct, AMCA's resources would be better directed elsewhere to attract new members.
                        Last edited by BoschZEV; 11-28-2014, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Great points, Brother BoschZEV.

My post certainly was not intended to be an exhaustive diatribe or historical perspective of all observation or considerations regarding which particular communication medium (or mediums) "best to ensure it (AMCA) still will be a healthy organization in 20 years."

My post was intended to acknowledge the viewpoint i formed from skimming the posts previous to draw out more great points such as yours.

Good stuff... ! "if I could post a picture here but I'm about to run out of the 17 characters rema)"

oops, gee. only 17 characters.... guess i better post on the amca forum or consult a copy of the original manual. Or make a phone call.

i guess the short version of this is: Today's younger set like facebook and twitter. When i used to be the younger set, i did not have facebook or twitter. To attract the next generation, only makes sense ,we had better go with the times.

Sometimes, some things outlive their usefulness. I would sure hope that's not the case with the AMCA. Time goes on, that's for sure. What is "antique" today, sure was not antique 35 years ago.

If AMCA is about celebrating ALL antique motorcycles and bringing those people together, they will come (and facebook will help bring people.)

But it's going to be a tall order if AMCA is going to try to be all things to all antique motorcycles and all their perspective owners.

If AMCA is going to be "healthy" organization in 20 years and since new motorcycles keep getting older, then we probably have no choice but to use what current convention has to offer. Whether the individual chooses to use or not is another issue.

I've got 60's Japanese bikes. I go to 60's Japanese bike websites for information. My 1927 JD, I come here and other related forums. My flintlock rifles, I go to flintlock rifle sources, not semi-auto. i shoot my flintlock with a friend who is a not black powder guy. We celebrate the heritage when we shoot together. Then we go home. He spends more time shooting with his semi-auto buddies than he does with me and my flintlock. I spend more time working on my old motorcycles and cleaning my flintlock.

a 14 year old who likes motorcycles in general will go to where their individual interests are fed. Depending on what influences them, they may come to AMCA. I guess that's our job to provide awareness to influence future generation's interest in bikes 35 years and older. And get involved with them. To the 14 year old who has some innate or learned interest in 35 year and older bikes and appreciation for heritage, it's our job to fuel the fire. facebook or hands on mentoring. Whatever is most appropriate for the situation, most effective to achieve a goal, then DO IT. If facebook is here to stay.... Great. If it's best for the AMCA, then use it.

However. The AMCA is not facebook.
                          Last edited by Steve Swan; 11-28-2014, 02:49 PM.
                          Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"

Comment

If AMCA is about celebrating ALL antique motorcycles and bringing those people together, they will come.
                            But it's going to be a tall order if AMCA is going to try to be all things to all antique motorcycles and all their perspective owners.
                            That's an excellent point that gets to the root of the problem for the future. When I first became aware of the AMCA in the 1970s it was "well known" to only care about American motorcycles. British (let alone Japanese) motorcycles were tolerated at best. Although non-American bikes have insinuated themselves to some extent into AMCA activities since then the word "tolerated" still seems not totally inappropriate.

The AMCA certainly could live on well into the future catering only to Harleys and American-made Harley clones so one question the membership will have to wrestle with is if that, indeed, is what they prefer. If so, separate clubs will (continue) to serve other machines, so perhaps 50 years from now will see an AMCA membership of 250 with 'The Antique Motorcycle' a 5-page quarterly newsletter (posted on Facebook...).

Despite the "Wild One" reputation motorcyclists are quite conservative (I offer the 1970s XLCR as the first piece of evidence -- Harley riders don't buy Harleys that don't look like Harleys, which is why a 2014 Harley looks pretty much like a 1934 Harley). So, if the AMCA is to effectively manage to open its doors wider in the 21st century it is going to take some pretty skilled efforts on the part of the leadership to accomplish this.

Comment

So... Bravo to those who have AMCA on facebook. Thank you for your fine efforts. Good on you for taking your turn.

This probably is getting off track and likely has been discussed prior. I'm just trying to establish some perspective of how things change.

Did Wing and associates establish the "35 year rule" in 1954 ? Assuming they did not, when did this rule begin ? Why ?

The array of motorcycles and the era in which Wing and associates founded AMCA has changed. Only motorcycles 1919 and older would be included in the club. (Indian was out of business barely 1 year, not 62.) Communication took more time and was always more personal. Not much thought, if any, was given to including motorcycles produced in 1954 for club membership in 1979.

If the purpose of the AMCA is to welcome and embrace all comers to motorcycles 35 years and older, then facebook, twitter and any other social network looks like a good possibility for 2040 to be a successful year for 2015 motorcycles to be included in the AMCA's 35 year old rule. And, if these newcomers, who don't own a 62 or 75 or 100 year old machine are not interested in such ownership or can never afford to own such vintage, then ok. Perhaps they like what they grew up with and can afford, something that's then 35 years old or older.

It seems the AMCA has made clear it's definition of and for "antique" motorcycles. 35 years and older. that means all inclusive from pre-1900 through 1979. Wow. that's a range. Of course, there will be pinpoint interests or even "cliques." Whether they were intended to look like pinpoint interests or "cliques" is another thing. What i perceive, is the AMCA attempting to be all inclusive and dispell any feeling to the newcomer of "cliques," since apparently harm has been caused by such clique's actual existance.

It does not seem AMCA wants to confine interest of antique to motorcycles produced before 1954, but to at least 1979 AND in about 33 days 1980 will be the new cut off year.

Perhaps the 35 year rule is a damaging thing. Who out there looks at motorcycles produced currently or in the last 35 years as future collectables ? For example, an unmolested 1999 Kawasaki Hayabusa is already collectable, not yet admissable to AMCA membership. Perhaps there are some people who would like to show off a future AMCA candidate, even though they could not be a member. 1982, being 30 years old, i had a number of different pre-54 Indian models. Most AMCA members then, who owned bikes older than me, paid my later Indian models no never mind. They were clearly in their own sphere of interest. No fault, no harm there. I also had a number of collectable British pre-unit singles. When i brought them to a regional meet in 1982, i was politely told, "While they are unusual and neat bikes in their own right, they are not what this meet is here for." Ok, note that. I don't remember there being a 35 year rule mentioned, maybe there was and i missed that part. And, certainly in 1982, few would have dreamt bringing any Japanese bike to any AMCA meet.

I believe the AMCA is attempting being inclusive. Certainly, by their very own nature, pre-1954 motorcycles are more exclusive, if nothing else than by their more limited numbers and character. So, to my way of thinking, facebook, twitter, etc, etc, is a necessity. Like it, use it or not. Times and things change.

Maybe i've missed the boat with some of my views or perceptions... if the case, i won't feel hurt being corrected.

Lottsa cans with lottsa worms in 'em.
                              Last edited by Steve Swan; 11-28-2014, 04:56 PM.
                              Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"

Comment

Working...
                              X