AMCA Website Suggestion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMCA Website Suggestion?

This is just a simple suggestion for the good of all our membership.

The AMCA is over 10,000 members strong worldwide...Yet our Home Page on our website has not changed its format or any pictures in years. To better appeal to the wide variety of members whom are interested in an ever widening range of Collecting, Restoration, Rustoration, Showing & Judging, Vending, all types of Riding, Memorabilia, Art, Clothing, Literature etc... It just makes sense to change the Home Page pictures frequently to reflect the Vast Vintage Motorcycle World we all enjoy.

As an example only here The Cherokee Chapter of The AMCA launched its new website www.CherokeeAMCA about a year ago. We conscientiously change all photos on our Home Page Slide Show and the photos for all icons such as Blog, Join and Events every other month to try to appeal to a far more diverse membership. New members joined our club when they saw photos of Triumphs, Norton, Vincent, A Scott Flying Squirrel, a CB750 Honda, a Cushman and so forth. Their unsolicited comments were "We thought you were just a Harley & Indian Club?" No we are not!

Change can be good!
    Steve Klein
    Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
    American Pre-teens - 1965
    AMCA Member 12176
    Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
    www.CherokeeAMCA.org
    Steve@SteveKlein.com
    Georgetown, TX USA

Dear Steve, you beat me to it, those Website pictures are certainly getting stale.

Comment

Steve and Steve,
      Thanks for your suggestions. The Board commissioned our webmaster/designer in June to change the format to make the AMCA Webpage more convenient to users of smart phones and other smaller devices. At the same time, a new layout with new pictures is being added. There will be an entirely new look soon. I hope this addresses your concerns.
      Richard
      Richard Spagnolli
      AMCA #6153

Comment

Originally posted by Spag View Post
        Steve and Steve,
        Thanks for your suggestions. The Board commissioned our webmaster/designer in June to change the format to make the AMCA Webpage more convenient to users of smart phones and other smaller devices. At the same time, a new layout with new pictures is being added. There will be an entirely new look soon. I hope this addresses your concerns.
        Richard
        Ahhh Spaggie!!
        I didn't want to sound like a whiner, so cut slack, but.... you just asked for it: my favorite:
        How about some more emphasis on the library? I know you've been talking about a "scan-a-thin" at Wauseon.
        Can we have a "heads up" when new additions come onto the library?

Comment

Phil,
          A quick link to the Virtual Library is planned on the revised webpage. Thanks for the suggestion to post a notice when new material is uploaded to the site. I believe that is doable. Positive suggestions like yours from Members are always welcome. Thanks again.
          Richard
          Richard Spagnolli
          AMCA #6153

Comment

Just a quick note to STEVE Klein. You need to add in the .org at the end of your www.cherokeeamca.org link so it will work. NICE site by the way!!
            Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

This is an example of how a good idea of by updating home page all new people see, will end the running Joke that the AMCA Board, while refusing the Vintage Motorcycle Alliance advertising space inside for the continuing Swap meet at Eustis Florida by AMCA members, The AMCA Home Page has shown for the last 4 years had the Club Magazine Cover highlighting Eustis, A Cure for Winter Had to be spotted and go away sooner or later.

We appreciate the oversight, it has sure helped draw AMCA members to our Event each year and shows even those that Try to control everything are not perfect.

For info on both AMCA and non-AMCA events of interest to lovers of old Motorcycles, Check out the Cherokee Website www.cherokeeamca.org

After the Cannonball our website will grow again to show more events that our active Chapter supports with other groups such as Davenport Swap meet hosted by Chief Blackhawk M/C August 28th to 30th and Pate Swap meet in Texas April 30 to May 3rd, 2015.

Due to the large number of Cherokee Members involved in Cannonball, 12 riders and many support crew members, our website will be updated daily beginning Sept 1.
              Shelby Withrow
              Cherokee Chapter Membership and Events Director

Comment

I guess it is time I have to go public with my personal and Chapter objection, to the continued effort in our club magazine to refuse to correct our incorrect website information, either by design or error, the result is the same to us. We have had enough problems with the National Board's fear of our growth success, but to continue to publish the wrong Website information issue after issue is just wrong. This is the Find a local Chapter page in every issue.

I have not tried to use the new sign up system, but I am told that the new system is working well to give new AMCA members we recruit at our events their AMCA number, But I remain unsure how easy the National is making new members know they can join any chapter, multiple chapters or chapters that may not be the closest but hold events of National Interest to the member signing up.

I know I have even spoke directly with Magazine Personnel on this issue while obtaining AMCA materials for our events. Guess I will have to wait 4 more months to see a correction. www.cherokeeamca.org NOT www.cherokeeamca.com

Shelby Withrow, Cherokee Chapter Membership and Events Director. www.cherokeeamca.org

Comment

Originally posted by shelbyinparadise View Post
                  ...We have had enough problems with the National Board's fear of our growth success, but to continue to publish the wrong Website information issue after issue is just wrong...I know I have even spoke directly with Magazine Personnel on this issue while obtaining AMCA materials for our events. Guess I will have to wait 4 more months to see a correction. www.cherokeeamca.org NOT www.cherokeeamca.com

Shelby Withrow, Cherokee Chapter Membership and Events Director. www.cherokeeamca.org
                  Shelby, With all due respect, a simple email directly to the magazine (Bill Wood) saying, "Bill, The Cherokee website address is wrong in the magazine on the Chapter page. Can you please change it to .org instead of .com?" If you talked to anyone at the magazine, it would have been Bill and he does not have any recollection of talking to you about it, not denying it, he just don't remember. The Cherokee website address and link is and has been correct on the AMCA website so this is not a conspiracy, just a typo.

Comment

Thank you Keith, problem solved, Some times a wheel has to squeak to be heard and fixed, Bill Wood and Fred Davis have always helped promptly with materials from National in my efforts to Grow the National Club, With all due respect, I did not say it was a conspiracy, just a repetitive problem for a local Chapter. We had 31 renewals or new members at Pate Event last weekend, and we used the new system to get AMCA #'s quickly.

Comment

The AMCA web seems real sluggish the past couple days, don't think it's my pc as all others seem to work ok.
                      Are website changes pending? The home page is B O O O R I N G . . .
                      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
                        The AMCA web seems real sluggish the past couple days, don't think it's my pc as all others seem to work ok.
                        Are website changes pending? The home page is B O O O R I N G . . .
                        I can't agree with the "sluggish", since I'm pretty slow anyway.
                        I see new colors, maybe a few newer videos, a few new items in the library, but since I don't visit the library often enough to keep current I just don't feel qualified to say anything.
                        But as an un-qualified flame-thrower I'll say it anyway: there is a same-ness to the new-ness, and I'm still in-equipped to tell the diff.

Comment

Ouch! Okay point taken.

We spent a couple of hundred hours rebuilding the new website a few months ago and I have to admit that getting back to keeping fresh content on the home page is my fault. I need help! I can easily post new chapter news if I can get in the habit of requesting it from the chapters. I'll work on that and see if the "Club News" section on the front page can start to have current information, at least on a weekly basis. As they say, "not enough of my butt to go around." - Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Kizer View Post
                            I need help!
                            Not certain if this was a request for help or just a comment, If you ever need assistence I have experince in webs and forums, not looking for full time work but could certainly assist if the going gets tough.

Bob
                            Bob Beatty
                            AMCA 19209

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Kizer View Post
                              Ouch! Okay point taken.

We spent a couple of hundred hours rebuilding the new website a few months ago and I have to admit that getting back to keeping fresh content on the home page is my fault. I need help! I can easily post new chapter news if I can get in the habit of requesting it from the chapters. I'll work on that and see if the "Club News" section on the front page can start to have current information, at least on a weekly basis. As they say, "not enough of my butt to go around." - Keith
                              Keith, I've made a timid suggestion several times with regard to a "tech session", a little seminar that would help illiterates like me learn how to navigate and appreciate the contents of our web site. Perhaps the web site IS full of what I want; I just can't find it, maybe.
                              Must admit, though, at a swap meet I'm so interested in real things that I would probably skip "class". .. but maybe not... If you send a tutor to the Viking meet I'll be in the front row with my laptop. ...... see you there?
                              btw, we hosted the Cushman Nationals Drags at our spring break-out last weekend. Pretty informal, lots of fun, ...... no casualties.

Comment

Working...
                              X