Dottie's 36 Sport Scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dottie's 36 Sport Scout

I don't know Jon Radermacher, AMF president, so I've been trying to read his messages in the latest magazine, watching for that realization that will come someday, when I somehow KNOW that the AMF is beneficial to the AMCA, and indeed deserves a page or two in our magazine. But I got tripped up on something halfway through: (I'll quote)

"I also encourage you to go to AMF Facebook page (--------). There you'll see Dennis Craig's meticulous restoration of the 1936 Indian Sports Scout that (---)Dottie Mattern will be riding cross the United States ... Cannonball endurance run ..... reassembly." un-quote

I think I've seen the bike Dottie will ride. It may have a 1936 rear frame section, but the front section is (was in what I saw) a 40 and later frame, to accommodate the larger-finned 40and later cylinders. I don't do Facebook, and I don't recall where I saw the pix, so if anyone could bring up the Facebook-referenced pix, I'd appreciate eating my words for Dennis Craig, or Dottie, or even Jon Radermacher.

On The Other Hand: If the bike has obvious "cheater" assets that became available after the cut-off year for this Cannonball, then my SUGGESTIONS for the magazine are as follows: please DON'T EMBELLISH things to make them more palatable for readers that don't know the diff.
    Let's try to stick to the straight facts.

Without a correction I can't trust Jon Radermacher's words, or Dennis Craig's "meticulous" capabilities, until we clear this up.

This is the only picture on her page showing an Indian. There are some other pix out there, some showing this as a '36 Scout.

Perhaps this will help.

Cheers,

Sirhr
    Last edited by sirhrmechanic; 07-07-2014, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Here's a link to the Facebook page
      AMF Facebook page
      there's a lot more pics like the ones below
      10269330_706029192794670_2937061425158100460_o.jpg10459066_713188065412116_7680974106666147197_o.jpg
      10310671_706029069461349_6355893271677355321_n.jpg10258406_697332693664320_4190759712830664690_o.jpg
      10275365_697332686997654_1199828864941082709_o.jpg
      Last edited by WebKahuna; 07-07-2014, 06:42 AM.

Comment

A few more...

Promises to be an interesting thread.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Hi all. FYI anyone can access the AMF Facebook page, even non-subscribers, by using the link on this site to get to the AMF site then clicking the Facebook icon in the upper right. That being said, "meticulous restoration" is a stretch for what me and Bob actually did to Dottie's Scout. A better description would be "complete mechanical rebuild with some minor cosmetic repairs". We paid great attention to ensuring the reliability of the machine on such a grueling ride, but we did so using all original components and correct year appropriate replacement parts. It is the correct engine with the correct cylinders fed by the correct DLX110 carburetor and sparked by the correct Autolite distributer using real points and condenser. I hope you will all support Dottie in this endeavor to raise awareness and funds benefiting the Colon Cancer Alliance (Dottie is a survivor) and the AMF (Dottie is on their Board). Part of the AMF mission is to promote and provide benefits to the AMCA, including making funding available for the AMCA "Old Iron Grants" program as well as maintaining the AMCA "Winners Circle Concourse" exhibit in their gallery within the Motorcyclepedia Museum. So this is "win - win". So let's all get behind her and cheer her on. "RIDE DOTTIE RIDE"
          Dennis Craig
          Past President AMF

Comment

Compared to some of the modifications people have done to "antique" motorcycles in past Cannonball events; Dottie's SS looks bone stock. Have a trouble free, and fun ride Dottie.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by dcraig View Post
              Hi all. FYI anyone can access the AMF Facebook page, even non-subscribers, by using the link on this site to get to the AMF site then clicking the Facebook icon in the upper right. That being said, "meticulous restoration" is a stretch for what me and Bob actually did to Dottie's Scout. A better description would be "complete mechanical rebuild with some minor cosmetic repairs". We paid great attention to ensuring the reliability of the machine on such a grueling ride, but we did so using all original components and correct year appropriate replacement parts. It is the correct engine with the correct cylinders fed by the correct DLX110 carburetor and sparked by the correct Autolite distributer using real points and condenser. I hope you will all support Dottie in this endeavor to raise awareness and funds benefiting the Colon Cancer Alliance (Dottie is a survivor) and the AMF (Dottie is on their Board). Part of the AMF mission is to promote and provide benefits to the AMCA, including making funding available for the AMCA "Old Iron Grants" program as well as maintaining the AMCA "Winners Circle Concourse" exhibit in their gallery within the Motorcyclepedia Museum. So this is "win - win". So let's all get behind her and cheer her on. "RIDE DOTTIE RIDE"
              Dennis Craig
              Past President AMF
              Munch, munch! here, Dennis! I actually feel better for having been wrong. Well, not positive as to what I saw prior, actually. I was relatively certain I'd seen the front frame section with (what I call) the dog-leg down-tube behind the rear cylinder, and I thought I recognized the 41-42 cyls and heads. Regardless, I'm pleased, and the photos are pleasing, and I hope that bike does well, and I hope Dottie has a blast!
              I have a '37 project, and I know how difficult those cyls are to find. 35-36-37 y-motor cylinders, and they're scarce because they got run HARD, and were likely insufficient in finning/cooling, so we have to advise ourselves against burning them up with stroker wheels, or aggressive cams. Later square bases, okay, but these three years they're like hen's teeth.

As to whether Mr Rademacher "embellished" in his description of your work, Dennis, I must recant, and extend my compliments to you. I love Sport Scouts, and my eyes will be all over the pix of that bike.

Eric, I agree, 101 scout, 57", latest cyls and heads, comes to mind.

Comment

Working...
              X