Powerplus or Bust, Eh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
    That's one of the things I loved about your travelogue... because I made a similar trip in to northern Canada (up on the shores of Lake Huron)... in December 2010 or so... to buy my Knuck. 2 days of driving each way into some horrible snow squalls. But the result was my dream EL and meeting a guy who is still a friend and whose bike (he owned it for some 40 years) I treasure.

My experience at customs was similar. I'd called in advance and other than the customs guys all wanting to ride it and joking that they needed to impound it until Spring so they could check out its road-worthiness... Customs was a walk. If it's made in USA... it comes back to USA no charge.

So your posts were not only fun to read, but brought back good memories. Again, thanks!

Cheers and look forward to your build.

Sirhr
    Glad you enjoyed the posts. I may have worried too much about the border crossing. I've crossed quite a few, and it all comes down to who's guarding the gate when you get there, and which side of the bed they got up on that morning. Usually it goes pretty smooth, but I could tell you some stories.
    Kevin
    https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Good thread, cool story, great photos!
      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

QUOTE=Chuck#1848;140135] I trust you are not liquidating all of your hacks? still have the Pan/ HD sidecar.[/QUOTE]

The Pan and the LE are still here. No plans at this point for that to change.

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post

Cheers,

Sirhr

(Sorry Cory... could not resist)
        "Now look, no one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle! Do you understand? " You did what you had to do Sirhr, resisting was futile.....

Originally posted by Shaky Jake View Post
        It was a pleasure to meet you as well, Cory. I think I detect a little beardage envy in the crowd, eh?
        Here is a list of events that I am planning on this summer, if you make it to any of them knock on the door of the black Work-N-Play camper and I promise I'll have a beer.

National MC Museum, Anamosa IA, June 7 & 8
        Viking Chapter Nat'l Meet, St. Paul MN, June 13 - 15
        AMA Vintage MC Days, Lexington OH, July 11 - 13
        AMCA Wauseon Nat'l Meet, Wauseon OH, July 18 - 20
        Chief Blackhawk Int'l Meet, Davenport IA, August 28 - 30
        And in the fall, if I can get off work, Barber Vintage Festival, October 10 - 12, Birmingham AL

Am I missing any?

Kevin
        Looks like you forgot Dixon..... That's a pretty impressive line up nonetheless! I don't know if I'll make it south this year, but if I do, I'll be watchin' for ya!

"Beardage envy".... that's a good one. I don't know though.... in the last two weeks I've had two different people ask me if I was trying to look like the Duck Dynasty guys. The beard may have to go. It's more of a winter thing anyway.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post

Looks like you forgot Dixon..... That's a pretty impressive line up nonetheless! I don't know if I'll make it south this year, but if I do, I'll be watchin' for ya!

"Beardage envy".... that's a good one. I don't know though.... in the last two weeks I've had two different people ask me if I was trying to look like the Duck Dynasty guys. The beard may have to go. It's more of a winter thing anyway.

Dixon would be a three day drive for me. Maybe it's worth it though?

I hear that chicks dig Duck Dynasty... besides, is summer in BC even worth shaving for? Maybe if it falls on a weekend...
          Last edited by Shaky Jake; 05-05-2014, 08:09 AM.
          Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Shaky Jake View Post
            Dixon would be a three day drive for me. Maybe it's worth it though?

I hear that chicks dig Duck Dynasty... besides, is summer in BC even worth shaving for? Maybe if it falls on a weekend...
            July gets pretty hot..........
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Teaser Photos - The Chassis

I haven't had a chance to start work on the Indian yet, but I thought I'd throw up a few pictures of the bike as I got it, for your viewing pleasure.

More to come...

Kevin
              Kevin

Comment

Jake: I wouldn't have driven to Northern Canada for that... I'd have driven to Siberia, Ulan Bator or off the edge of the earth for that!!! What a great project and I bet you do C.O. proud. I have a lead on a PP (1917)... but don't know if it will pan out. And I don't need more projects. Maybe I can live vicariously through your restoration... if you post enough pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Teaser Photos - The Engine

These are some of the pictures that Cory took as he disassembled the engine, which is my starting point.

Stay tuned, more to come....

Kevin
                  Kevin

Comment

Teaser Photos - The Sidecar

Again, pictures as I got it - for your viewing pleasure. Some of these have been posted on the site before, on a different thread. I wanted to post them on this thread as sort of a starting point

I can't wait to get back from NC, finish the Trumpet, and start on the Injun.

Kevin
                    Kevin

Comment

On the rack

Happy Independence Day.

The '64 ISDT Tribute is off the rack and on the road:

And the '16 Indian is on the rack:

And I had a nice phone conversation with Ziggy in Ontario today, about linkages and stuff. I'm looking forward to meeting him at Wauseon.

I'll post some detailed pictures soon.

Kevin.

Kevin

Comment

sure looks like a great bike. thanks for sharing. gw
                        gww57.com

Comment

Taking stock of the handlebar controls

Here's a picture of the other side.

The effort so far has been finding the major parts that I'm missing. I found a transmission and a clutch, or at least most of a clutch.

Now I'm looking over the handlebar and making a list of stuff I need. I have a handle bar. The right side (magneto) twist grip and associated flexible link are missing:

The left side (throttle) twist grip is there:

As is the left side flexible link through the handle bar:

Those handlebar control parts will probably be replaced with new reproduction stuff, since they tend to wear out and I intend to ride this bike.

I'm missing the mag control lever and mag control frame stud on the right side of the steering neck:

And I'm missing the throttle control lever on the left side of the steering neck, but I do have the throttle control frame stud:

Of course, I also need the rods and clevises that go from the handle bar flexible shafts to the control levers on the neck.

The next pivot point is on the front downtube, in front of the engine. A rod, which I don't have, goes from the lever on the right side of the steering neck to the lever on the right side of the downtube. The lever on the right side of the down tube is clamped to the shaft that goes through the frame lug, and there should be another lever clamped to the shaft on the left side that then connects to another rod (also missing) that goes down to the magneto. This picture shows the frame lug and the right side lever that is clamped to the shaft:

On the left side of the down tube there is a lever that pivot's free on the shaft. I need the rod & clevises that go from the lever on the left side of the steering neck to this lever, and then from this lever to the carburetor:

It sounds like Ziggy can fix me up with replacements for most of these missing and worn out control parts, so I will be seeking him out at Wauseon, vendor location 391. The one exception might be the rod that goes to the Schebler carb, but he thought he could get me enough info that I could make one.

Stay tuned - more to come. I'm being called to lunch.

Kevin.

Kevin

Comment

Wheels

The entire brake assembly seems to be missing:

Does anyone know what this little lug on the swingarm is for?

There's one on the drive side too, but it's missing it's little cap:

The final drive chain and sprocket actually look like they could be saved. It has that skip link chain though, and all of the drive sprockets I've seen (in the short time that I've been looking) are not skip link. Does anybody know what the original configuration was?

I'll probably replace the tires:

Everything seems to be in order with the front wheel, other than a few bent and broken spokes.

I have a spare rear wheel too. Someone attached solid rubber to it in place of the pneumatic tire. You gotta love the spoke repairs:

Kevin

Last edited by Shaky Jake; 07-05-2014, 09:41 PM.
                            Kevin

Comment

Hey, Kevin! Good to see you sinking your teeth into this. Looking good! Those lugs on the swingarm are stops for the rear stand. The stand has arms that stick out from it and butt up against these. Hope this helps. I have an unrestored '17. A lot is different but some things are the same. I can help with photos of anything if you need. Dale

Comment

Thanks Dale. I'll probably take you up on that.

They have a restored '17 Powerplus in the museum in Anamosa, IA that I've taken some pictures of, to help me sort this thing out. They also have a '13 twin, a '14 Hendee Special, and a '15 C-3 Big Twin. Their '17 doesn't have those lugs on the swingarm, is that how yours is? Here's a picture:

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X