• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LE support steel

WANTED - Accurate dimensions for 1947 LE sidecar supports
    # 6371-36 Body Support Rod, front
    and
    # 6375-36 Body Support Rod, rear

I need the dimensions of the steel, width and the offset or drop distance from the pins in order to reproduce them.

The guy I bought the sidecar from: "can't seem to find the steel cradles"

(I know Merle at L&W makes the supports .. I just can't afford to buy them)
    Attached Files

Try Bill's Custom in PA or Bud's in Austin, TX for originals.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris
      Thanks for the reply.
      My interest is in bending steel to duplicate a set for myself .. as stated, I don't have the spare $$$ to buy and ship them.

'Course .. if someone had an idle set that I could afford, I'd buy 'em.

Comment

If nobody gets to this first, I will be happy to take some measurements for you. It won't be until the weekend though as I have to do some rearranging to get to the hack.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Cory
          Thanks for replying .. I'm in no hurry. It took forty years to find the sidecar .. I think I can wait a few days for the dimensions to complete it !

Comment

Patience is certainly a virtue in this game...
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

"Patience" .. Will be the death of us all, eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by GTD View Post
                "Patience" .. Will be the death of us all, eventually.
                True... I've got some shop time tomorrow so I should have something for you by tomorrow night.
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Well... an awful lot of unexpected showed up this weekend and I didn't get anything particularly "accurate" for you. I did manage to get to the hack this evening though. Luckily, the body was just sitting on the frame, so access was easy. With the support bars mounted, I didn't feel good about a proper drop distance with the available light in the shop but I can tell you that the metal stock is 1/2" X 7/8". I forgot to get a total length!!! Are you going to need a pattern for the bends on that rear support? I will see if I can get that drop distance figured out for you tomorrow.
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Cory
                    Thanks for digging out your sidecar .. funny - how we tend to bury them during the Winter.
                    The correct size for the steel is a good start.
                    The radius of the 90* bend at the drop appears pretty tight .. if the other measurements are correct, it should end up about right.
                    The drop distance is crucial, as is the span - either across the inside, where the tub fits, or the outside dimension of the bars.
                    The pins for the spring shackles .. an accurate diameter and length would be helpful there. I could guess at that .. using the springs on hand but it would be better to use original data. As I understand it, these spring pins were threaded into the steel support bars, not welded ?

Thanks again for your efforts.

Regarding the V-pattern of the rear support - I expect the "impression" left on my tub will give me good reference for that and the bolt holes.
                    It doesn't look like there was any sort of gasket or welt strip used between the support bars and the tub .. just painted metal against painted metal - correct ?

Comment

Well... I managed to get my act together tonight and got some better lighting in place and got to it! Holler if I missed anything or clarification is needed. I'm glad you have an "impression" for reference on that rear support. It would have been a challenge trying to get that translated from the shop to here!

O.K. I see my arrows and type turned out kind of small so I'll translate above the photo. Distances between pre-school type arrows! Like I said.... holler if you need any clarification.

Front 2 5/8" 1/4" washer welded to support.

Rear 3 1/4" 5/16"-24 stud.

Front 19 13/16"

Rear 18 9/16"

If the pins were threaded I couldn't tell you. Mine are welded. I should also mention that this is a '50 LE that I'm using for reference. If for some reason there were changes to the supports after '47, someone please speak up. I can't imagine that they would be any different but one just never knows with the Motor Co.

Front

Rear
                      Last edited by c.o.; 04-28-2014, 11:20 PM. Reason: photo issues...
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Cory
                        Thanks for those pics and dimensions - that looks like enough to "Git 'er Done".
                        The description of 5/16" threads on the ends of the studs seemed pretty marginal for supporting the sidecar (once loaded).
                        Then I looked for those replacement stud kits and I saw the threaded ends merely hold the assembled parts .. the stud is much beefier and well up to the task.

This pic shows the kit that includes all that I need for welding the studs onto the support steel.
                        So the originals were pressed into, then welded to the sidecar support bars.

SS spring hrdwr.JPG

Comment

That's interesting to see the "parts". So, I guess that washer isn't a washer at all! Good luck with the fab process!
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

"So, I guess that washer isn't a washer at all!"

Yep, it looks like that shoulder of the stud gets two short welds to affix it to the support steel .. plus a bead on the end of the stud.
                            That makes sense since any heavy welding would weaken the stud or pin.

Comment

Cory
                              Just to clarify things, the "drop" as measured between the yellow lines in the attach pic is: one and a half inches

And the stud or pin is centered at half that distance or three-quarters of an inch ?
                              HD sidecar hrdwr 1a.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X