Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hello,its been awhile since ive been on but i have some questions about my chief..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha ha . I'm a back yard mechanic . You are correct - hone them is the right expression.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
      Gary!

The inserts that house the lift pins can be left in the case, as long as you support them with a piece of pipe or whatever when you press the pins out, towards the cam chest. This best preserves alignment.

And replacement is prudent with any worn piece, of course.

The pushrod guides can be honed while in the case, and probably best as they would close slightly when pressed back anyway. I wouldn't remove them unless damaged.
      A Sunnen "keyway" mandrel is required for honing the guide bores when there is an oil slot.

And Oilcan!

It's a helluva reamer that will cut an Indian pushrod guide.

....Cotten
      thanks cotton i appreciate the information,,im thinking when i press those lifter pins it might help to drill a pilot hole in the center to relieve some pressure,,,,less chance of something getting buggered maybe...

Comment

Gary!

Sorry that health and other pressing matters (no pun intended) keep me from taking photos for clarity,
        but no, the lift pins are merely a press-fit within the insert housings that seat into the case itself. Confusingly, they are perhaps a tighter press-fit, but only by nature of their different thermal expansion characters from the aluminum itself.

They should tap out with a simple punch, when the insert is properly supported alone .
        If they do not, that is an alert.

More when I can,

(Actually, that is more often when I am ill....)

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-18-2014, 06:47 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
        X